Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeez i hate electricals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Oct 25, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, this is gonna be alongggggggggg post. Anyway. Alright where to start.......Ok, well ive seen kits that cause all 4 of your headlights to come on when you have your highbeams on to help with visibility. I was lookin at buying one. Anyway, today i was checkin all the lights and stuff, so i turn on the headlights low beam, well drivers side top light (low beam) comes on. Ok, well i assume the pass low beam is burned out. Well i go around back and the drivers side tailight is on full like the brakes are applied and the pass side is dim like it should be with the lights on. Ok weird stuff, so i go turn on highbeams, look at tailights they are the same, Now heres the kicker, all 4 headlights are on! Even the one i figured was out so i hit it back to low beam and i still have the drivers side only.....so i figure something is really weird. So i hit the brakes with the lights on, and the pass side goes full bright and drivers side stays full bright. Turn the lights off and no headlights (yes one thing works right) and hit the brakes, well the pass side brake light comes on full bright like it should and the drivers side comes on dim like a tailight! AGHHHH
    Anyone got ANY help at all for this, or where maybe this kit is installed or if the previous owner went el cheapo and tried to short circuit something and avoid buying this kit. Most of these kits have like a relay you install somewhere, anyone got a clue where to start lookin or where the kit might install?
    Sorry for the length but this has me COMPLETELY stumped.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

You've got one or maybe several bad grounds. the lighting harnesses have ground wires that attach to the core support, rear frame, body, etc. start looking for and cleaning up your grounds, check for some that may be broken off, some may be built up with rust and not making contact.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

alright, anything else possible?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have 2 different problems. First, the low beam filament in your passenger side low beam bulb is probably burned out. It's a dual-filament bulb, so the high-beam filament is what you see come on when you swtich to high-beam mode. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Second, check the grounds for the tail lights. If you remove the tail light lenses you'll see where the ground wire connects to one corner of the body opening for the light. Make sure they have good connections. Also check that the bulb for that tail light isn't shorted internally. I had a wierd problem like that with a park/turn lamp on a car a few years ago. It turned out that the filaments were shorted to each other inside the bulb. Swapped the bulb and all was well once again. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. HarryH3

Oh yeah, you don't need one of those relay kits to make all 4 lights come on. Your truck already lights up all 4 in high-beam mode. It's the later models with side-by-side lights that only light 2 lamps (the inners) in high-beam mode. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif So you should put the $20 that you just saved towards turning orange! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

U serious about the light thing? We had an dually (86) onetime that only the bottom lights came on w/ the brights.......hmnnnnnn strange. Ok, so buy bulbs, and check grounds. Ok, 20 bucks wasnt saved, it never existed lol. Wasnt gonna buy the kit now since i have a couple bucks but that earmarked for an alignemtn so the truck can fineally be driveable again lol. i will join one day (praying for cash lol ) and hopefully soon.

7. HarryH3

Yep. Serious. All 4 should come on in high beam mode. Sounds like both upper lights had the high-beam filament burned out on your '86. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif