Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jegs.com sucks big time!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Aug 14, 2001.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Okay, along with the rant on JC Whitney I'll add my rant on Jegs. I was comparing some parts on Jegs.com and summitracing.com and summit's website said that a part was backordered. JEgs.com had no notes about backordes and what not so I ordered the parts all from Jegs. Well the parts that were in stock came about a week and a half later. I called today about the backordered stuff, they said it'd be the end ofSeptember! WTF! I cancelled that real quick and ordered it through summit, and the backordered item will ship end of this month. I was so pissed. The instock items came about 4 days slower than summit. and God only k nows about the backordered stuff. Oh well, summitracing it is. they seem to offer more anyway, and their website is kick ass! Oh well, enough ranting. JC Whitney,Carparts.com, and Jegs all suck!

-BuSH
    '83 K5 Blazer
    '98 Monte Carlo z34

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Wait until you have to talk to customer sevice at Summit, then you will wish you ordered from Jegs!!!!!!!!!! Or have a technical question!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Personally ive never used jegs but i know that summit has every part that jegs has and vice versa. Even if you cant find it in the catalog, you can find it online. The part numbers are a bit different but the numbers after the dash( - ) are all the same. before the dash, summit uses a 3 letter code like MRG for mr. gasket while jegs uses a 3 number code like 720, also for Mr. Gasket.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah no kidding the phone people at Summit are dumb! I called about the 30 spine axle shaft today and they swore there is no such thing... um whatever! I do have to say if you go into Summit the parts guys working there are great and know their stuff. But unfortunately for us they don't pick up the phones.... what's wrong with carparts.com? I never had a problem with them ever?

C'mon captain brake pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I use barnetts for my drive train stuff these guy know there sh*t and have always happly answered any question i have asked. they don't have an online catalog but you can do it the old fashioned way and use one of there paper catalogs. you can get one by calling 1-800-533-1320 or try barnettperformance.com. did i mention their great prices, i havent found anyone cheaper. a part at summit was$15 at barnett it was $9 what a difference.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have never used Summit, always used Jegs. I dont trust ordering stuff online, so I always call it in and check for back ordered items and such talking to a person. ( I hate automated stuff, Give me a human to speak to!! ) Jegs has always been right on the ball, no delays, correct parts, ETC.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Man I have been ordering from Summit for years and not had a customer service problem as far as orders and such. Their technical service has left something to be desired. I called to ask a specific question (oddball) about an Edelbrock header and was honest enough to tell me he dint know. I ended up calling Edelbrock and got some guy who had no clue about his own product line, and tried to BS me about it too!

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

8. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

In comparison, I like summitracing for their quick shipping. I order stuff early in the morning and summit ships that day, Jegs has yet to impress me with their delivery speed. Takes a week and a half to get an in stock item? Never called either for customer service, but I had a friend that was having problems with his truck, he called a summit tech person and he was right on the dot. I'll stick with summit.

-BuSH
    '83 K5 Blazer
    '98 Monte Carlo z34

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I gotta tell ya I've bought a LOT of stuff from summit, and they've alway been able to give me the info I needed with the right parts &amp; the right recommendations...

there is one exception to this which is the cam, but I think that was understandable...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

10. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've bought from both Jegs and Summit with no problems. Summit is usually 2 days, jegs is 3. If I can't live with the delivery time, there are 2 local speed shops that get almost anything 1 day after order. Prices are not quite as sharp as the catalogs. No shipping, but 7% sales tax.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've ordered from both Jeg's and Summit. After a mishap with my wheels, I'd NEVER order from Summit again. My truck sat on jackstands for a month after they told me they could get me my 8 lug 15x10s in 4 days and it took them 4 weeks.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> JEG'S stinks .

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I always ordered from Summit. I had the same problem getting my 15x10 8 lug wheels and found out if you need them in a hurry just call Summit and have them drop shipped directly from the manufacture. I have never had any problems from Summit and they will continue to get my business.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I agree with Wayne !!! Summit has never done me wrong ! Always good and fast !!!! Drop JEG's and go to SUMMIT !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I have ordered so much stuff... but only incurred minor problems w/ either Summit or Jeg's. Both are great in my book compared to others, by far the best place to order IMO is P.A.W. They have WAY MORE engine and smaller parts then either Jeg's or Summit and have great service. I have been using lots of Jeg's lately cause Summit seems to like sending stuff to me viz Fed Ex and for some reason the moron who drives my route can't find the house... what an idiot!

JCW is so-so... takes a while to get parts and really not surprised when a part I get is wrong. I think the worst part is dealing w/ the stupid operators there... the worst ever! Carparts.com is so slow you could die waiting for them... ack! I voved never to order from them again.Wrenchhead.com is much better. Then of course the all might champion of crappy service... 4WPW! [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

16. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Never had a problem with either. Mostly order from summit. Most places will ship with what ever carrier is cheaper at time of shipping.

17. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Let me tell you my experience with summitracing (very long). I've ordered many times from there before without a problem, but this one really pissed me off.

I live in Guatemala, Central America, and I'm using an International Credit Card. I called (not online) and checked every item with the sales rep. He sounded like he was in a bad mood and in a hurry. Everything was in stock and ready to ship. I give him my CC number and everything, but he says it's been declined and asks me to contact my bank. I wonder why, since I never have this kind of problems. I contact the bank, but they check their computers and tell me that the order has been approved and had absolutely no problems with my credit card. I call summit racing again (2nd call). I have to hold for about 15 minutes to get to the customer support people. (I pay long distance even to a 1-800 number) I explain to a lady my situation and she says she double checked and insists that my order has been declined and there's nothing she can do about it. I call my bank again and verify again that my order has been approved. They even read me the exact date, time and amount. I asked them if they can cancel it, but they can't unless summit racing cancels it.

3rd call to Summit racing. This time I get a message that they are recieving more calls than usual and that it may take a long time to speak with someone. The wait was about 27 minutes!! (yeah, I'm pretty patient) I talk to another female rep, this one is more helpful and suggest I talk to my bank and ask them for a fax with all the transaction details. I call the bank again and ask them to send a fax to summit racing. They say they can't because only the merchant can request that kind of information. It's confidential. I now start to worry. Just picture this: Summit Racing in Ohio trying to contact a tiny bank in Guatemala! Yeah, right. On top of that, my credit card was already charged and they had no plans of shipping my order!!!

Trying to save on the phone bill, I sent an email to their customer support department explaining everything clearly and politely. 2 days and no replies. [​IMG]

4th. call to summit racing. This time I started using dialpad (toll free numbers are free) to save some money, even if I can't hear that well. Hold time is about 10 minutes now. I described the situation and gave them the bank's info. They told me, sure no problem, we'll contact them.

I start calling the bank everyday to see if they received the request. Nothing!

5th. Call: I speak with a 3rd rep and had to explain everything all over again. She looks in their records and finds a note where they couldn't contact the bank. [​IMG]. Then she realizes the other rep couldn't connect because she didn't dial the international prefix (011)!!! She says, no problem this time we'll get it.

2 more days of calling my bank everyday, nothing. Now what!!

6th call: They say they hadn't tried yet, they will today.

Finally after about 10 days the bank gets the request. I have to recognize the bank did a great job. They even spoke in english with the Summit Racing people. Now I had to wait 2 days for the bank to fax the information back to summit racing.

I start checking online the status of my order, still on hold. Next day, still on hold, etc.

7th. call to Summit Racing: "Oh, yeah we did recieve the fax. I'm gonna let it go right now" What!!! The fax was there 3 days ago. Where they just trying to piss me off? Why did they have the fax there and not release the order? Why are there such people in this world? 10 minutes later I checked online and my order was released. It took about 18 days for them to get my order shipped. They still couldn't explain to me why they didn't process it the first time. I'm sure the first guy who took my order did something wrong. He really sounded like he didn't want to take my order.

Oh, well. I think theses events help me be a more patient person. The shortest hold time was 7 minutes, the longest 27. I would like to complaint, but the only option is calling them and wait a ridiculous amount of time again. No thank you. I just got the phone bill with about $20 of long distance calls to summit racing.

Sorry for the long post.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

18. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Don't apologize Juan! [​IMG]

Actually; I'm glad to read stories like yours because it makes me even more content to pay a few $$ extra &amp; order everything through my local Performance/Machine shop! I checked &amp; by the time I factor in the US exchange rate; the taxes &amp; shipping hassle; the local shop is almost the same; maybe only a few dollars more [​IMG]

Thanks for the story &amp; sorry to hear about your troubles!

BTW; did you find a source for the Caddy Caliper Springs?? I need a couple too; my old ones from my cores were rusted &amp; one broke in half! RE; the arms; you could easily make your own with a bit of 1/8" flat stock IMHO!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Brian. [​IMG]

Even with all this hassle, I'd probably order from a US shop again. I think I'll try PAW next time. I do get everything much cheaper than buying it locally. The problem here is that you can't find many parts, especially for a 454, and the ones you find are overpriced.

I did find many calipers in <a target="_blank" href=http://www.car-part.com>www.car-part.com</a> Some where even at $10. Nice link. I just sent an email asking about the calipers and the split shipping. I'm waiting for replies.

I was thinking the same thing about building my own, but don't know how do they get attached to the caliper. Maybe you have a picture or drawing? The only way I can come up to attach it is welding a nut to the brackets I make. I'm sure there's a safer way.

Keep in touch.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

20. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Juan

The bolt that rotates by the park brake arm forcing the piston in the caliper housing to move out is indexed on my 78 Caddy Eldo calipers. The two sides are flat &amp; the arm is notched to match. ie not a completely round hole. The arm slides on to the end of the bolt &amp; then is just tightened down with a nut. Hope that you can follow the description.

I'll try to get some pics of the arm &amp; spring for you if no one else has any.

BTW, let us know how you make out with PAW. I'm really tempted to try them out myself

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!