Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jensen Amp and Orion subs in my Blazer???/

Discussion in 'Audio' started by blazen_md, Jun 6, 2003.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Last week before the weekend I hooked up two 10" Orion XTR 2000's and a Brand new Jensen JXP720 720 watt amp. I used 4 ga. stinger power wire and 14 guage speaker wire to my subs everything is hooked up solid they worked sweet for two nights. I went into dinner one night and came back out and one worked and then they both stopped working. Then I looked on my amp and the protection light is on. I popped the hood and realized I used a 150amp fuse for my power wire when the amp really only called for a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The power wire kit came with the 150 so I never really even thought that it was bad. Well now my amp is in protection mode and have no Idea why. I have had people look at it and neither do they. This is my first time hooking up a system but I am no dumbie at wiring stuff up. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated thanks!

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess you have checked all you fuses and connects several time by now? Does the amp smell burned? Have you tried hooking up another amp to the subs or different speaker up to the amp? Where is the amp mounted? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Its mounted under my passenger seat and yes I did check all of my fuses and no I didn't hook up another amp or another set of subs.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Try pulling the speaker wires off the amp itself, and put an ohm-meter on each pair of wires....

The resistance should be maybe 4 to 8 ohms (depending on the speaker brand/design etc) if the resistance is ZERO or OL (Over Limits, basically means infinite resistance) you've got a problem with the speaker or the wire. Maybe you've got a burnt voice coil (or two!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Also.....once you pull the speaker wires off the amp, see if the "protection" light goes off. That will be another indication if the problem is in the amp itself, or if it's being caused by what's attached to it.

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Did you change the fuse to the correct one? It sounds like the amp should not get hot enough to go into protection. Check the ground again and make sure the power wire did not get damaged when you where pulling it throught the firewall and it is shorting out on something. What is your gain set at? Sometimes too much gain will trip the protection after you have ran the amp awhile. Good luck.

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Power wire is in perfect condition and the gain is set all the way down I set everything back to the way that it came out of the box. I did put the correct 60amp fuse in. Running it with the 150amp shouldn't have friend the amp should it? and one more ? to test the ohms do I disconnect the speaker wire from the amp and then test it or leave it hooked up to the amp while testing it? Ground is also tight.

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Unhook the speakers from the amp. The resistance is just in the speaker. Do you have one speaker hooked to each channel of a 2 channel amp or what?

8. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Yes I have each speaker hooked to each channel on a 2 channel amp. Will I have to bridge the amp if they are a certain amount of ohms?

9. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes I have each speaker hooked to each channel on a 2 channel amp. Will I have to bridge the amp if they are a certain amount of ohms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the measurement off the speaker wire (disconnected from amp) and then maybe grab the data sheet for the subs so we can compare your measurements to the "spec"....

10. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Do you mean get the length of the speaker wire or the guage of the speaker wire? The wire is 14 guage and the length I would guess is somewhere between 10-12ft. Cause like I said they worked excellent for 2 days and the all of the sudden stopped. Thanks for n e help though!

11. Greg72

I just meant to disconnect the speaker wire from the amp, and put the ohmmeter on the ends of the wire (With the other end of the wire still connected to the sub)

I want an overall resistance number for the wire/sub combination, AND I want to verify that the amp comes out of "protection" mode when the speaker wires are disconnected....

This is good basic troubleshooting stuff, that will help to isolate WHERE the problem is in your system.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

So you say the amp should come out of protection mode with the subs unhooked? I will get the ohm reading tomorrow sometime hopefully. Thanks