Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jersey Wheelers Exhaust Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pops83k5, Sep 2, 2002.

1. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

Gotta ? for those K5 owners in Jersey. Went to upgrade my exhaust to single 3" with a hiflo cat and a Flowmaster series 50 3" center in and dual 2.25" out. Flowmaster also makes a y pipe to go from 2.25 to 3". All you need do is some short and relatively straight 3" work to hook up the y with the cat and the mod 50. Was ready to pull the trigger on this when a local mechanic friend said that no way would this setup pass the sniff inspection on the dyno. Anybody had any experience here? Thanks.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. As long as you are keeping a cat, you shouldn't have any problems. The flowmaster and cat manufacturer should have CARB numbers. AS long as they do, you are good to go.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it will pass just watch the 1970 350 take it to a shop to test

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey pops. I posted your question on the NJFourWheelers Yahoo group. Feel free to check it our over there,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NJfourwheelers but here's the first couple responses:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd think it would fail visual before failing dyno test. As long as cat is fairly new, overall exh should not affect
    the dyno test that much. 83 was not all that tight for emissions, especially trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked him why he thought it would fail visual:

I was thinking the duals after muff, but maybe they came that way stock. If there is a CARB number for
    dual setup of ANY brand for that rig, just tell them that is what it is. Not sure if they want a CARB EO# sticker,
    or just number, or what these days???

[/ QUOTE ]

and one other one:
    That setup WILL pass -Only thing that MIGHT not fly with the mechanic doing the work is -changing the
    diameter of the pipes (especially to/from the cat) -but it WILL pass the sniffer.-Switching from single to "true"
    dual exhaust is a no-no.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe the trucks did offer dual "tips" (but still single cat) so yes, dual tips should be legal. I've seen them, both dump out the same side.

I don't see how a "cat back" system on a vehicle not using two O2 sensors (before and after the cat) would matter one iota, as long as it isn't failing some sort of "safety" inspection. (dumping too close to cab, etc) Besides, I doubt your truck has *1* O2 sensor /forums/images/icons/smile.gif