Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JET performance products Q-jet: anyone run one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Nov 14, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

The self rebuilt Q-jet on my 489 bbc is not working as well as I had hoped. Off road it works great, but between 2100-2500 rpm on the highway, it just sort of cuts out. If I back off the gas, it will eventually cut back in. I also cannot get any change in the way the engine runs when I screw in/out the idle mixture screws, the engine just doesn't respond to those adjustments. I believe it is a carburetor problem, not ignition.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a new carburetor, and I've been thinking about the JET performance products Stage 2 Q-Jet, p/n JET-35002, offered by Summit Racing. Does anyone run one of these carbs or have experience with it? Would it be worth buying one?

A friend of mine runs a Holley truck avenger carb on his Blazer, and he loves it, but I'm not sure that's what I want. Thanks for any input!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd save your money for EFI. For the longest time I wanted to put a good Q-Jet on my truck, but I've given up on that idea and decided that somehow, I'm going to put EFI on my truck.

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I do plan on upgrading to fuel injection, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but that's a few years away, too expensive for me now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I need a good carb NOW. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ratzila has one on his 454. You might PM him, I don't know how often he gets on here though.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I seriously looked at both the jet and edelbrock performer Q-jets. I picked the edelbrock because they are brand new and not rebuilt, warranty, and matches my performer intake. It is a great carb in my opinion. My gas mileage sucks big time! I get about 6mpg in town and about 11 on the highway(it jumps way up because of my OD) but I have a 406 and 400's love gas! The only thing I am having problems with is the high idle and choke. Neither want to work now all of a sudden. A buddy and I messed with the high idle screw once when It was still pretty new but i can't remember if thats about the time the choke quit working. If anybody knows if you mess with the high idle screw, it can cause the choke to quit working that would be great! I would like to have a choke again. Otherwise I have climbed some pretty steep hills without any problems, it seems to work very good offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No offense, it's probably not a problem with the carb (as in malfunctioning) if the idle mix screws do nothing. It may not be calibrated right, but if the mix screws don't work, something else is going on, since thats a mechanical adjustment that CAN be used to stop fuel at idle, if everything else in the carb is working right. That's not a problem with the carb, thats a misadjustment. If it runs with them all the way in, the power piston spring is probably too weak for the amount of vacuum your engine pulls. (that'd be my guess) That'd also perhaps explain your cruising problem, as engine vacuum controls the power piston which handles the primaries, which is what you cruise on.

Again, there could be other causes, but thats what I'd look at. Any engine changes should be reflected in a carb re-tune, as your primary jetting needs (along with secondary) will change. EGR removal is one of the big ones. Put an EGR calibrated carb on an older 350 stock with no EGR, and it surged at about 35MPH. Re-jetted the carb a bit richer and the problem was gone. (should have done it with a slightly richer rod tip, but oh well)

How much do the jet carbs cost? Looks like you can get a complete TBI unit for less than $500 if you keep your eyes open, and thats about right for TPI as well. Of course thats not counting the additional expenses, but if you have ever thought of going that route, doing so now wouldn't be a bad idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Well, I've rebuilt the carb with your standard over the counter kits, and I put in a new float too. The carb seemed to work fine for awhile, although it has always been on the rich side. It could probably use new throttle shaft bushings and such, but that's a little beyond my capability right now. I guess I just don't have a firm enough grip on Q-jets to make them work perfect, and maybe I don't have enough time or patience to learn that right now. Plus, its a bitch climbing up, in, an outta that truck! Sometimes ya just gotta quit monkeying around with the old chit, and buy something new!

Yes, it is possible to find a used TBI or TPI, but right now I don't have the time to look. I need something NOW, but I do appreciate the tips and suggestions!

8. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know this is still on the repairing the old but yo will have to tune a new one too so try this. If your idle mixture scews do nothing then the scew on the drivers side throtle linkage is in too far preventing your carb from ever using the idle cirquit in the first place. Back this down as far as you can without letting it die then see if your idle mixture scew work correctly. You might also try turning both mixture screws all the way in then back them both out 1 1/2 turns when you try to adjust them from there just turn them about a quarter turn at a time make sure they stay the same.

You might also check with www.carbsunlimited.com they have a lot of good parts you cant get anywhere else such as secondary metering rods, secondary rod cams, high flow needle and seats. I got the master strip kit and am pleased with the resuls but I still need to fine tune it.

As far as Jet performance I have never used them but Hot Rod Magazine speaks highly of them. But like I said You will still have to tune a new carb it won't be plug and play. But order the carb direct from jet and they will get it close and you might save a buck. www.jetchip.com

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

From what I have read, the Jet carbs are solid. I was/am considering getting one as well. My rebuilt myself Q-jet is doing so/so and I am not real interested in tuning/messing with it much more.

I have however seen the Edelbrock in action and those things are sweet carbs, but I have heard from a few people about the choke not working after a while.

10. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Didnt the original guy the used to do the carbs for jet leave and start his own company or somthing, I cant remember for sure but I thought that was case.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have that Very same carb on my 350 and it is up for sale here.. carb
    I think when I got it it was to much carb for the 350 it always smelled JUST a little off...BUT the OUT OF THE BOX DROP AND GO WAS GREAT...I bolted it on and off it went...
    The only complaint I have/had is that when they did mine they must not have use enough epoxy on the lower vacumme line fitting because I pull the hose off and the piece came out with the hose so I had to re epoxy it back in...But It has been a really good carb for me...Still have to adjust it for the higher elevation but a carb isnt FI
    Email if you would be interested...
    mikee@yahoo.com..

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm right next door to them and have a hook up that will re-build my carb for about $125.00 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Her is a link for you I have been thinking of the stage 2 for mine also. carcraft jet rebuild mike

14. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

From what I have heard JET will calibrate the carb to your engine. That's enough reason to go with it. If you want to try and fix the carb you have then look at these links.

15. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the great replies, guys!

Stroked72Blazer, mdm365, florida4x4- Thanks for all the links, there is some good stuff in those links!

NoSmog73- Thanks for the ad link, I'll keep that in mind, just not sure if I want to buy a carb sight unseen (no offense though, hope you understand).

Anybody else have an opinion?

16. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

there right in my back yard, I should call and check them out... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

and as far as Jet Performance...I guess my first post didn't do anything for these guys, I can hook you up with a stageII ($360.00) carb from a guy who works there for about $125.00... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

You can get a new Stage 2 for $125? Unused brand spankin new?

19. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get a new Stage 2 for $125? Unused brand spankin new?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jet Performance Carb's are all rebuilds.

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what Waxer said.
    they rebuild Q-Jets and do install all new parts, go check them out on the net...