Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jet rebuild prices?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by methcat, Dec 25, 2002.

1. methcat

methcat Registered Member

all of you guys that have had jet reduilds, what'd you have to shell out?

c

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

If you send in your carb it will be cheaper, I had them build me a stage 2 carb for 350.00, they provided the core. Best carb I have ever used, Give them a call and they will help you decide which carb stage to get. Stock will be a stage one, etc.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

GO BUY FUEL INJECTION, and leave that old crappy Qjet behind. www.customefis.com sells SBC TBI injection for $840! Drop John an email and see for yourself!

-Dan

4. methcat

methcat Registered Member

i'm not sure i want to get into the computer... the truck is going to be looking at 400hp out of a 383 and i'd like a little more "on the fly" versatility. i bet the core for jet would save a few bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

Actually this guy will burn chips for you until its "right on" for your combo. That, and there is simply NO WAY to beat fuel injection off road. Just no way. Think long and hard before you put any money into a carb'd solution! Don't tell me I didn't warn you!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i called jet about a year ago to see how much it would be to rebuild mine and they quoted me around $250. if you have a q-jet already, call up jet and see how much the rebuild would cost

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dude that is a good price but not all of us have that kind of money or can afford the down time to install that type of system. He asked about a carb price not a fuel injection system price. Quit pushing your buddies system. We all read the posts here and know what your doing. I am sure I am not the first person who thinks this. Its cool telling someone how good something works as advertised but its getting old. Lighten up !!!!!!!!

8. KRAZIE87K5

WHOA THERE BIG FELLA. Don't go dreamin stuff up and posting it out here. I've been around here for quite some time, and I think my opinion is vauled. Now listen one more time, as I explain.

#1. The company I bought my system from is not my "buddy", he is just a very helpful guy who runs an EFI business. There are other people around here that swear by his products as well. Enuf said on that.

#2. It IS a good price.

#3. If you can afford a $300-500 carb, why not go to a $800 system that will make that carb look stupid? Carbs are not good for off road use - period. True you can tweak them to run WELL, but NO carb beats EFI... plain and simple.

#4. QUOTE: "We all read the posts here and know what your doing." INTERESTING... What is it that I am doing? Pushing EFI over a carb? Look - I made the mistake once upon a time and bought a carb... I lost $500 on that mistake. I too at the time, thought EFI was too far off cost-wise, and didn't make the leap. NOW I have watched my carb fail me, on and off road. So here I am spending the money AGAIN to fix a mistake I made less than 1 year ago. WHY SHOULDNT I TELL PEOPLE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCES AND LET THEM BENEFIT TOO?

#5. Finally, just watch what you say. I take pride in helping people out here on CK5 just as they did for me when I was building my truck. Now let a guy alone to offer his advice.

Just my .02...

-Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

DAMN... you gone got me so worked up that you gave me a head ache.

-Dan

10. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

You know I would have a come back so here goes.
    1. I never said it was not a bad price
    2.Like I said not all people have the kind of money you seem to throw around or can afford the down time this system will take to install. He asked about a CARB not a injection system. Some people do not have the skills to install this type of swap. Fuel injection is great but that is not what he asked for.
    3. I thought I had read another post where you said this guy was a buddy of yours thats where I came up with that. If I was wrong SORRY.
    4. TBI systems will only support up to 280 or so H.P. A carb can be tuned for much higher than that. If you run anything more than stock you will need a multiport system at 1600.00 or more. I sure can buy one carb for that and do way more work to my truck with the remaining money. Sorry If I gave you a head ache. Later Slider

11. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Actually I'm glad you posted that link now I know where to look for my fuel injection when I get to that point. I wonder if he makes that TPI setup for vortec heads.

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

lets clarify, there is a good and bad side to both.
    FI:BAD: has computer, not good for water crossings etc unless installed up high(seein as how i have a snorkel, this wont work too well for me),has sensors that can go bad and only so many messages that will give u the general idea of whats wrong the systems under a grand usually cant support more than a healthy 350 that well.
    GOOD: easy to tune with computers, can change many settings instantly, runs in any position, not too bad to install most of the time.

Carb GOOD:Easy to install, most of the time easy to tune. can supply huge amts of hp. can get for pretty cheap.
    BAD: hates steep angles, can plug easily from dust and such. PITA to rebuild.

So, both have their ups and downs, but if u can go that extra mile, FI is definately worth it.

O yea, whats with the dissin krazie? he didnt do n e thing to u

NITRO

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've both got points, so I hope you two can get along /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FI is NOT for someone that isn't ready to do the swap. It does take time, and it does take money. More than just getting another carb...if you aren't starting from scratch (have intake, fuel line, etc) its even more expensive and time consuming.

Multiport can make large amounts of power, and can do so for less than $1600. (huge amounts as long as you want to keep spending money) I bet if you add in every bit and piece, it would come close, but if you look around, you can find an EFI system (or piece one from stock with aftermarket plenum) that will put out 400*HP* (if thats what you are looking for) easily while being a hell of a lot more streetable than the same carbed 350. Cost wise, if it weren't for the Vortec heads, my injection setup would be under $1000 including every single piece I have to buy which includes fuel tank, sender, and some of the misc. 305 specific parts I need to swap out. It was $500 complete, and that could have FI'd a 305 with the addition of the right fuel lines and sender.

You and I both know though that crappy heads make crappy power, bolting the best intake and carb ever made on the stock heads or spending hundreds of dollars making FI work with them isn't going to do as much without replacing the heads with something much better. Of course, thats back to basic engine building, if the induction and exhaust suck, it really doesn't matter a whole lot what else you do, you are really handicapping yourself.

As you said, the guy asked about a carb, and thats what the replies should be about, unless there was some hint of wanting FI, which I don't think there was.

So all that said, why isn't the carb being rebuilt by the owner? If its a Q-jet, $15 and an evening will probably get you back in the game.