Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JET six pack chip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

anyone use this thing? found it in the summit catalog and it looks pretty interesting. six way adjustable chip with economy reg gas,towing reg gas,stage 1 power high octane,stage 2 high octane, valet, anti-theft.
    part number JET-289136P $225.69

it also recommends using their low temp thermostat. ive heard that this will mess with the computer, is this true?

is it worth it? im looking to replace the chip i have in now that requires high octane. it would be nice to switch to regular gas when the price at the pump goes up.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO your money would be WAY better spent on something like headers, injector spacer, etc., something else that has been proven to increase power every time.

Go back to a "stock" chip, and enjoy cheap gas and the no-penalty power that comes from *proven* power adders.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

hmm, well i have already done the tbi mods.havent done headers yet but if i did buy them it would have to be the 600$ ones, cant afford that at this time.

i dont have the stock chip anymore, i guess i could go to a dealer and get one, but they would probly want an arm and a leg.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

a stock prom is like $30 FYI.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Headers and good exhaust will do a lot more for you than a high dollar chip. Espically if you have the 670cfm holley TB listed in your profile.
    The Edelbrock TES system is around $400. Will bolt right in and meets emissions in all states. Putting on a high flow cat will help a lot also. The stock cat is pretty restrictive and starts getting plugged up after 80,000 miles or so.

The jet chip and the low temp thermostat wont mess with the comp. The chip is the brains of the ECM. The ECM just does what the chip tells it to do. If the chip is programed to run with a low temp thermostat it will be fine.

Is it worth it? I really dont think so. You can put the stock chip back in. Bump the base timing up 4 degrees. Run 89 octaine and get performance pretty similar to most performance chips on the market. Dont think you should run gas any lower than 87 octaine even with the stock chip. Owners manual recomends 87 or better.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies. i think i will get a stock chip, and a set of headers . i already have a good flowing exhaust except for the manifolds. where is a good place to order the edelbrock TES headers from? Are they the best bang for the buck? i was thinking about JBA headers, how do they compare?

7. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

First of all, if my memory serves me right, the 89-91 tbi's do not have an AIR system meaing you don't need to get headers with the AIR fittings, correct? Second, I have the Edelbrock TES headers on mine and I don't recommend them. The only good thing is that they come with a Y pipe so it doesnt require any mods to the stock exhaust. But they aren't full length headers not to mention that crappy factory coating on them wears off in about a week (they have to be painted in order to stay protected). So if I were you here's what I would do: Get either the Dynomax Ceramacoat Headers (Jeg's part #289-86003, $230) which are full length headers and will stay looking new much longer, or you can get the Hedman Elite Headers (Jeg's part #500-69890, $260). Then you can get an O2 sensor fitting to weld to the headers (Jeg's part #555-30740, $9). Only problem is you'll most likely have to have an exhaust shop put in all new pipes. But for the same price as the TES headers, you will get better flowing and longer lasting headers, not to mention better looking. Ok, well I've rambled on long enough, hope this helps.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    First of all, if my memory serves me right, the 89-91 tbi's do not have an AIR system meaing you don't need to get headers with the AIR fittings, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]I think that is incorrect...He has a California truck and when I looked at an 87' it had the air system, I may be wrong and you correct though. California is very picky though when it comes to aftermarket parts and only parts with a C.A.R.B. oe# are 50 state legal.

9. dyeager535

I forgot about hedmans elite series for emissions controlled vehicles. It should be a good setup, they have good flanges on them, and the coating looks to be pretty durable.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just looked on my truck, no AIR system. will full length headers make that much of a difference compared to shortys? i've got all new exhaust from the cat back so i want something that will hook up without completely redoing it. what about thorleys or JBA?

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Full length headers will give you more torque and they have a better, deeper sound than the shortys. I have hooker competition headers and I like them so far(only been on for 4 days /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). Thorley makes a great header too.

12. dyeager535

Yes, full length headers are worth it. Plenty of dyno testing out there that show full length are the best in a truck. Plus they aren't hard to make fit, plenty of room, so why not.

Thorleys were outperformed by a set of long tubes in the magazine article I read. But then again, to be fair, each brand of headers is going to perform differently, perhaps the one they were using to test against the Thorleys were just right for the motor they were using?

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i checked out the hedman and dynomax mufflers, are they 50 state legal?they didnt say on the website.
    i was also looking at the doug thorley headers. they come with O2 sensor, y pipe, and have a tri-y design. are tri-y headers better than full length? or just a gimmick.

14. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Yeah I forgot about the Thorley's. I don't know anyone who has them but from what I've heard, they're probably one of the best headers on the market. Summit has got the setup you would need (part #DTE-364Y2 for 2 1/2 inch cat opening or part #DTE-364Y5 for 3 inch cat). They're not cheap though, $420, but they should bolt right up to your cat without any need for a muffler shop plus they come with an O2 sensor fitting. They also offer some with a heat riser fitting but they are $475 and I'm not sure if you would need that. If I were to do it all over again, this is probably the route I would have taken. Hope this helps.