Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jewelers:i found a diamond gold stud in the 78 gmc, so i have a Q about it

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 26, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just found a good sized dimaond head mounted in a gold stud under the seat of the 78 gmc in all the dirt mess underneath of it when i was removing foam and vinyl to replace with cloth:

its white not clear and looks to have two nicks in it, its about 5or 6 mm wide and probably around 3 or 4mm deep

is it possible to nick diamond ?
    and is any diamond used for studs white ?

where ot go to findout info, i cant trust any local jewelry shops, they wouldmostlikely tellme its nothing even if it really is,i bet

thanks for anything..

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

go to a diamond store and tell them you're looking for a ring for your future wife/fiancee. let them check it out and tell you if it's fake or real. if they tell you it's real keep quiet and act like if you knew it was. if not swear and cus, act like if you got screwed...

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    go to a diamond store and tell them you're looking for a ring for your future wife/fiancee. let them check it out and tell you if it's fake or real. if they tell you it's real keep quiet and act like if you knew it was. if not swear and cus, act like if you got screwed...

[/ QUOTE ]

slick
    i like that one, hehe

thanks

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Most likely not a pure diamond for the fact that it has nicks in it. The only thing hard enough to damage a diamond is another diamond. Also, the size leads me to believe that it's fake (or the original owner was VERY wealthy), and the color is a good indication it's not a real diamond either.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i thought white dimaond existed and clear didnt, IE was glass ?

just assuming*

true on the hardness though, yep, just looked like nicks, but maybe arent, dunno,

thanks

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Run it over some glass at with some pressure on it. If the glass scratches, it's either a REALLY good fake, or a diamond. If the "diamond" gouges or gets messed up in anyway, it's a fake. Just so you know, my wife found out that a garbage disposal can do some serious damage to a diamond ring. DOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Run it over some glass at with some pressure on it. If the glass scratches, it's either a REALLY good fake, or a diamond. If the "diamond" gouges or gets messed up in anyway, it's a fake. Just so you know, my wife found out that a garbage disposal can do some serious damage to a diamond ring. DOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, did it damage ring or diamond ?

thanks

8. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

my wife says it may be real, but its value is not going to be high. cz's are generally manufactured to be colorless and flawless. color may be due to inclusions, nicks may actually be "naturals" (the natural edge of the stone), but the cut is no where near ideal. take it to a reputable jewerly store and have them clean it and tell them that you need and estimate on matching it with an identical partner for your wife. tell them that it was her mothers set and they got lost out in the garden. if you truly can't trust anyone locally, pm me and i will give you my addy to ship it to my wifes shop. 3 years and 15k worth of jewelry and gemology schooling will be able to determine what you have. if nothing else, she can clean it up so you can ebay it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

souidns good, didnt look at it very hard but i noticedthat it appeared white and appearsot have two nicks, but i didnt look really close really, its got a curve to it like the non-writing endof a bic pen and is about that same size/diameter, has what appeared to be lots of flat sides, but small sides(cuts).
    i lost it back in the same truck again, it fell back behind seatagain, hehe,ill find it soon again if i get time to, i thoughtif it was glass then it would be colorless ?
    im confused i think

thanks!
    R

10. MrsMoabdadC22

MrsMoabdadC22 Newbie

Take it to a pawn shop and ask them to test it for you. They should have a diamond tester and could tell you if it is real.

11. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take it to a pawn shop and ask them to test it for you. They should have a diamond tester and could tell you if it is real.

[/ QUOTE ]

you generally get " its worthless, want me to throw it away for you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif"