Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jiffy lube..........busted!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GotLabs, May 25, 2006.

1. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

busted fo sho!

thats why i do all my own work on my truck...id like to screw it up myself.:haha:

3. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

wow sweet 5 out of 9 places that is bad

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yet another reason why if i DO take it out to have something done, i stand there where i can see the work being done to it, and if any parts were replaced, i want the old ones back...

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sucks to have to, but I do the same thing. I normally just do the work myself.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the Pep Boys across the street from our dealership lost its inspection license for failing a truck saying it needed rear brakes. Guy went home to do them himself and found they were fine.

Thats why I wouldn't recommend a fuel filter on that Heep :haha:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wow, what a hard hitting piece!

"a new scheme"? Oh yeah, I'm sure it took a rocket scientist to figure out how to rip people off on car repairs, and has never been done in the past. *sigh*

Anyways, I think that's just a California thing. There have been "investigation" stories like this coming out of CA for years. (just kidding about the CA stuff)

I also like one of the methods used to determine if the parts have been replaced, ask for the old parts. You could hand 50% or more of the people in this country a used lug nut and tell them it was a fuel filter and they'd be satisfied. Nor could I just keep a pile of old used parts around to hand off if I was even smarter than the rocket scientist that came up with this "scheme".

I just recently looked at a repair bill (female owner) for a Subaru Outback. Charged $35 PER spark plug, not including labor. (not special plugs)That's straight off the bill, nothing hidden there. Don't need an investigation to figure out that's a ripoff. Well dressed woman, decent car, expensive area of town, knows nothing of cars: prime target.

As sarcastic as I come off sounding about the story, I'm glad it was done, unfortunately I doubt enough people or shops will learn from it.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have to go to Jiffy Lube because I have no place to do my own stuff at the apartments. They do the work though...mainly because I stand next to the truck when they do it....also, all the guys there are my buddies.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you have to go to a chain store this is the #1 way to make sure it is done. and if you need a good job done try your local repair shop owner. thay have better service and respect for you and your car.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i did 4 1/2 years with Jiffy Lube, and have never pulled a stunt like this. however, i do know of several people who have. some on a regular basis.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Me or my family have never gotten stiffed my Jiffy Lube, but I know of several people who have. Expensive stuff too.
    I know to work at Jiffy Lube you don't need anykind of special training, any joe schmo off the street can work there.

I agree with the trust your local shop rather than a chain store. I always send my truck to Carryville Garage in Bellingham, MA. They are close by, and the owner will do all the work. They use quality parts and are relatively cheap too.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I used to have an Isuzu Rodeo, took it to Jiffy for total fluid change, they "misread the book" and only half filled my tranny, it fried a few days later. I did get a brand new tranny out of them though after talking to a VP and a bunch of other a-holes.

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The fuel filter on my grand cherokee is along the frame rail. :confused:

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

some of the newer ones are in tank.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a lot of newer cars don't have external fuel filters(pretty much all Mitsubishis since the late 90s are that way) and there is no service interval for changing them. if there is a problem, change it, otherwise don't bother. I think thats probably the case with that Heep they took in.

My Dad goes to Jiffy Lube because its easy and he is lazy. A couple visits ago he had just rotated the tires himself(wasn't too lazy to do that), and went right over there for an oil change and tire pressure adjustment(no compressor at the new house). He asked them when he paid "pressures good?" "Oh yes sir, 32psi all around" My dad stared at him a second then asked "so is my truck sitting on the rims or what?" 04 2500HD with a work cap full of tools, hmm 50/80, nah 32 sounds better.

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I used to work with a rip-off artist like that. He wasn't always like that, but I guess he got tired of not making any money because he couldn't diagnose crap.

He would recommend everything if the car came in for service. For instance: Car would come in with brake squealing. He would try and sell them the works. If they bought it great, if not, he'd meet them in the parking lot and try to get them to meet him at his house, and he would fix it for like $250 bucks instead of 1000. And then just throw pads on the front. When he got fired, went through his toolbox and found it filled with parts that he hadn't installed on customer vehicles. Also had a slew of parts he would show the customers so he could sell work he wasn't planning on doing.