Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jiminy must be too busy.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

...........shovelling out to join us in the Lounge tonight.

I hope the old focker didn't have a heart attack moving all that snow around. You know what they say about chubby 40 year olds.......:rotfl: :rotfl:

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

he got to shine that driveway emblem of his!

on a simaler note, even though we have only one snow fall this year, and NONE on the ground now (so much for ice fishing) i just scored a KILLER deal on a 10 horse outboard, and a year old snowblower (he paid 800) for wages (200) and 300 bucks :woot:

i got me a snow blower! :saweet:

now all i needs is some snow!

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:bow: :bow: lucky dog.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Dude James is friggin' ripped! He's an animal!!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is he in the area that has been having all of the really bad weather?

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

He's been getting it pretty bad, but not in the worst areas.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

woah, that didn't sound good.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

He's a pussy...............

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was wondering if maybe they have had electricity or internet outages?

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

internet maybe down but last I heard all utilities were holding up in even the heaviest hit areas.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Longmont got 35". We got 28.5" here. The big one? Glen Haven got 52".

Got the burb unstuck...maybe I could go rescue him...:D

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think its a combo of the snow and the kitty he just got out of surgery. Maybe he set up a snowcone stand and is selling lemon ones to the tourists.:eek1: :haha: :haha:

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Jeez, can't believed I missed this one.

None of the above. Most of you do not know but the wife and I take in strays now and again. Always the ones no one else wants or gives a chance. I treat my pets like I do friends or family. If I care for you I never quit on you, no matter the cost to me personally.

We just lost one of our most special kitties yesterday on the operating table. It was pretty horrific. I have not been in much of a mood to play. Everytime we lose a pet I feel like a piece of my heart gets ripped out.

This kitty was named Slinky and she was probably one of the best companions we've ever had. She was a stray I picked up and had been through hell. She was a trooper and over the last 11 years we pulled her through stuff that would turn most peoples stomachs.

I found her on a rock covered curb at 1:00am in the middle of a shopping center 11 years back. She was hunkered down eating old french fries out of a McDonalds box. She was small at 6 pounds and in rough shape. I walked past her and got in my truck because we had enough pets. When I got to the exit I could still see her in the rear view and it broke my heart. She was all alone out there. So I turned around and went back. I got out, kneeled down, and said, "Come here honey, I'll take care of you". She stood up and literally jumped in my arms, something you never see in a stray.

I called my wife on the phone and drove halfway home to meet her, I still had to finish work so I gave kitty to Gerri about 2:00am and she took her on home. We kept her seperate from the other pets for the first few days. During that time I noticed she would fall over for no reason. We took her to the vet and it turns out she had a parasitic disease called Toxiplasmosis. A parasite in the brain fluid that caused it to swell and destroy the neural pathways. Well they gave her zero chance to live and had only heard of the disease - never seen it firsthand. We talked the vet into trying anyway. In the end he cured it but she retained some neural damage and had a sway to her walk, thus we dubbed her Slinky.

Now this cat had been severley abused. Someone had kicked her so hard that it sheared off her upper and lower opposing canines. She also has abdominal trauma that we never knew about until a few days ago. Well Slinky was a scrapper and I loved her very much. She had 2 teeth, no front claws, and a hip sway. Even with all that she still dominated the house. We have another stray we named Hissy because he was such a mean bastard. This cat is huge, he has 6 toes, and is strong as an ox. He's a mean focker too. Just to give you an idea of Slinky's spirit she would take Hissy on and send him running. She had no claws so she would rear up on her hind legs, leap forward in a Sumo move, wrap Hissy in a bear hug, and sink her 2 teeth into the top of his skull. All the while shoving him backwards with her legs. It was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen. So she had great spirit, she wasn't a quitter.

She also had a heart. Most cats don't like you to pet them unless they want you to pet them. They are a finicky bunch. They'll let you give them a little scratch but then they'll try and bite or swat you away. Slinky was in a class of her own. She would return your affection with equal measure. My wife says she has never in her life seen a kitty like Slinky. She would follow me everywhere, jump in my lap when I'd watch tv, wake me up in the morning with a nuzzle, grab my face with her paw and pull me close for a cleaning, et. Just very unique overall.

Over the past 3 years Slinky had developed a condition called Megacolon. That means that the colon smooth muscle no longer functions and doesn't evacuate the descending colon properly. The result is poop 3 to 4 times normal and the colon gets blown out like a huge flaccid bag. Essentially they block up and the blockage is bad enough to cut off the bladder and cause infection. There are several ways to deal with the disease. It usually involves medication to cause their colon neurons to fire along with a stool softener. The result is proper movements. The medication (Cisapride) however has been pulled from human consumption because it causes heart attacks in people. Well we managed her pretty well over these last few years and only had to give her a couple cat enemas - lots of fun. About 3 weeks back she became so backed up they had to put her under with gas anesthetic and remove the stool with special tools. So we had come to a point in her life where the meds were no longer working.

In consultation with the vet we decided to up the Cisapride to maximum levels 3 times a day and begin using a new stool softener called lactulose. The increased cisapride had an immediate effect which I didn't like one bit. Her pupils would dialate and she would twitch for the first 5 or 10 minutes. I think it was a dangerously high dosage and I did not feel comfortable at all with it. But we had no other options. After 2 weeks and 2 trips to the vet to remove stool it seemed that there wasn't much improvement. We had one last option, a surgery called a colectomy. In this procedure they remove the majority of the large intestine (colon) and draw down the small intestine to fill the gap. What this does is to reduce the amount of time stool sits in the colon losing moisture, thus preventing any more blockage. It also means no more meds, IV drips, enemas, and the like.

The vet was confident and we trusted him. The day of her surgery I took her in about 8am Monday. At 11:00 the vet called to say there were complications. Apparently she had had a previous abdominal trauma so severe that it had caused her vasculature to die off and twist around her colon. He said it was a very bad in there. He went ahead and removed the mostly dead large intestine and connected the small intestine to what was left. His only worry was that there was not a good blood supply to her small intestine but said he was still very confident in the procedure.

Over the next 2 days she was not recovering well. The first night we left her at the vets and when they came in the following morning her temp was down 5 degrees, that is not good. They got her temp back up on Tuesday and Tuesday night we took her to the 24 hour emergency center for overnight monitoring. When we picked her up Wednesday morning to transfer back to the vet, the doc on staff said something was not right. Slinky should have been up and around by then but she was still just laying on her side.

We transfered her back to the vet and stayed there while he examined her. By that time she was sitting up and although grumpy would purr like crazy when we petted her. We finally left around 10:00am. At 11:00am the vet called and said he needed to open her up again. He felt there was some fluid building and wanted to make sure no infection had set in.

At 11:38 he called back with the news you never want to hear. Over the 2 days since her sirgery 80% of her small intestine had died completely. There was not enough good tissue left to save her. I think about this time I just went blank and the survivor mode kicked in. The one that does what needs to be done while the rest of you is on your knees in shock. Here was our fighter, the indominitable Slinky laying on the operating table with a dead digestive tract. She had endured 2 days of it and never given a complaint.

I told him not to let her wake up and he did as I asked. I drove Gerri down about 15 minutes later through the blizzard in the K10 so we could sit with her. After a few hours I took some clippings of her hair as we have with all the pets that have come and gone. She will have a private cremation and I will have her ashes. They will go with the rest of our 4 little ones that are gone now.

It's always very hard to suffer through the loss but this one has been far, far worse than the rest becuase she was so unique. Even someone that hates cats would have had a place in their heart for this one.

So I have been dealing with this and doing my best to stay positive, have had much help from my two sisters for which I am eternally grateful. It has been very difficult.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And here I was making fun of you while you were going through all of that......:doah:

I feel like a heel now. Sorry, James........:frown1:

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No apologies neccessary. You guys are my friends and I know the difference.

I just wanted to share it, it helps me work through the heartache.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah well I aint readin all that crap, for **** sake break it down for me man...

17. 3 on the tree

Oh, go put a straw in a gallon of Everclear.:eek1: :haha:

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Fock twist my arm already...:D Does it have to be a straw or can I go gardenhose???

19. 3 on the tree

With a little ingenuity, you could set it up as an IV;) ;)

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dang,,,, lightbulb!!!!!:D