Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jimmy blues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87blues, Jan 6, 2006.

1. 87blues

87blues Registered Member

I just put a 12 bolt rear and a dana 44 front in my 87 Jimmy 4x4. New brakes and line in rear except the drums and new caliper in front. I've bled them for two days now and still my brakes do not feel right and the fluid in the master cyclinder is cloudy white. Any ideas??????

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IIRC cloudy white is from air in the system. If you bled the brakes and did not put a block of wood under the brake pedal, it is possible that when you pushed the cylinder all the way down, the corrosion on the pushrod tore up the seal on the master cylinder. That pushrod does not go all the way in normally, and the exposed part gets a bunch of crud on it. If you push the brake pedal to the floor when bleeding, this crud goes into the seal and can cause it to fail.
    I think moisture/water can do that also, but I am not sure.

3. 87blues

I had a friend help me and he pushed the brakes and I would unscrew and screw the nut to release the air/fluid. I've never heard of a block of wood. So I should put a block of wood under the pedal so it does not go all the way to the floor? So what now, do I bled them again with the block of wood, or replace the seal on the master cyclinder or put some type of mositure liquid in the master cyclinder that is suppose to do away with mositure in the lines?

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Go to Autozone/Kragen/Napa and pick up a hand held vaccuum pump brake bleeder tool. Then you do it by yourself all by hand. Was it a new master cyl? If so wuz it bench bled? Are the brakes in back adjusted right?

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

also at autozone they have nopples with check valves so u dont have to worry about the timing foot push and wrench thing. well worth it IMO for 2 bucks each. moisture will cause the cloudy stuff if it doesnt clear up after sitting for a couple hours. if it clears up then its air. remeedy- water or junk keep bleeding- air start checking seals as long as u havent let ure fluid get low while bleeding

6. 87blues

I did not replace the master cyclinder, just the rear brake lines, the rear brakes completely except the drums. I had to put all new wheel cyclinders, springs, shoes and broke the front line lose. I'm not sure if the back brakes are adjusted right. I'd never done it before and put them on one side at a time and copied the other side. But did not adjust anything. How do I do that. And at Autozone just tell them I need the hand held vacuum brake bleeder set and check valve nipples?

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Let the brakes gravity bleed for a while. Make sure the fluid in the MC is clear.