Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jimmy goes on strke for not going to blazer bash!!! Starter Again!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70jimmy, Aug 23, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ok I couldn't go, good thing anyway jimmy isn't even close to ready. So this morning I go to fire it up and starter makes nasty noise like jumping teeth. 2nd try just ZZZZZZZ, ZZZZZZZZ, looks like broken drive gear again. 2nd time in a month. Well starter is under warranty so that wont be a problem.

Recently it has gotten 4 barrel and manifold, HEI with super coil, one wire alternator and new battery with 2 guage wires.

It runs good but starts hard. Gee Chevy start hard?? I dont think timing is quite right. Still dont see a reason I am breaking so many drive gears. Are the drives tougher in a starter with the bolt holes across from each other? or 3 bolt starter. Figured maybe one of them might be heavy duty. Maybe an upgrade to a mini starter.

I know get the timing right. I am curious if I have the alternator hooked up right. It looses a little voltage over a week or so gets down to about 11.5 volts. Not sure where that problem is. Wiring is a mess.

On the alternator just have the one plug into the back and negative battery cable to the alternator bracket and a ground wire from frame to metal bracket. Starter has wire from ignition switch to "R" side of solenoid and positive battery cable to post. Any advice? Yeah I know take it to a mechanic. Thanks.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

This is all that stopped you from going to Moab?

Ken H.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with the starter. Finally fixed it when I went to an AC Delco and ensured it was shimmed correctly. That grinding is either cuz it's a cheapo (tho other guys have mentioned that they haven't had a prob with cheapo ones), or it's not shimmed right, or the flexplate (or flywheel) is damaged. If your battery was old, I'd also suggest that it could be because your battery doesn't have enough power. Because you're having a drain, I would throw another battery in there that is at full charge and see if you still have the starter problem. I'd do this first to eliminate the battery as a source.

Battery shouldn't be draining like that. If it's new, put an ammeter on it, see if it's drawing amperage above 20 miiliamps. If so, pull the alternator wire and recheck. If no more drain, it's the alternator - get it tested to make sure.

Do a search, there's a lot of data about this type of problem.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I have a motor out of a 73 chev suburban and i was having all kinds of trouble..No shims it would grind, With shims even worse, So finally i took to it with the grinder and basicly dee shimed it. Works like a charm, engages perfect every time /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    four by ken, starter was not the only thing that kept me out of Moab. Lets see, no lift, no lockers, no time off, tiny tires etc.etc. Its at a friends shop now getting checked out then the money dump begins. Hello Steve from ORD!! Wifee poo says buy newer or put money into it and I don't care if you get a loan to do it. YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Nothing like good credit. Lets see with interest that will make my truck worth even more.

6. four_by_ken

Good luck! Hope to see the progress as it comes along.

Ken H.

7. four_by_ken

I have to do this with the starters for my big block, everytime. But, it works.

Ken H.