Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jimmy or Jeep?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Dec 5, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 77 GMC Jimmy and I like it but it turns out that it probably isnt the best family vehicle for me. We got a bunch of snow today and the truck works great! It is dependable etc. I love driving it.
    The problem is that when I want to take the family someplace along with my sons friends there isnt enough room for everyone including the dogs. I need a car but I dont want a car. I wanted a suburban but they are too long for my driveway.
    I have been thinking about a full sized Jeep Grand Wagoneer 1991 or earlier. Since many of you know a lot more about the workings of these trucks than me I thought I would ask for technical assistance what should I look out for, what makes the Jimmy better than a Jeep, how do they compare etc. Is the Grand Wagoneer a good truck? My big off road excursions are limited to camping and fishing. Nothing too serious for me anymore. I do tow a small camper in the summer. I have other cars/trucks for toys. The Jimmy is my daily transportation and is all stock except for 31 inch tires and a flowmaster.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Stick with the Jimmy. The Wagoneer seats 5 just like the Jimmy, so no gain there. The Wagoneer was made by AMC which went belly up caused they made a piss pore product. Most late model Wagoneers had AMC 360's which were gutless boat ancors, or worse yet the 304. Parts for the Wagoneer cost an arm and a legg. GM parts are way cheaper. The Wagoneer probably has the piece of crap quadratrac t-case, while you Jimmy has an NP t-case. About the only thing that the Wagoneer has that the Jimmy don't is 4 doors /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and everyone knows that unless it's a Suburban 4 doors are for pu$$ys.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think you're asking this question in the wrong place. It's like going to McDonalds and ask them which is better a Big Mac or a Whopper. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Obviously, my vote is for the Jimmy, especially after you said it works great and that is dependable. Why risk buying a Jeep that you don't know how it's been taken care of?

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

The only gain with the Waggy is your going to get the rear passenger doors. As far as cargo the Jimmy will hold the same if not more than the Waggy(with the seats down). I know this is devil speak but those Grand Waggy's ride SOOOOOOO nice.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dood if ya like a jeep then get a jimmy.. a jimmy is a jeep on steroids if ya ask me...!!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A...... Alcoholics
    M...... Making
    C...... Cars

Rene

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For a family the four doors makes it worth it. My dad has had one for 6 years and i cant imagine me getting my ars into the back seat for that many years if i had to go around the front ones every time. As much as i like blazers if what your looking for is purely because you have a growing family id consider it.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep the Jimmy !!!!!! You'll gain nothing but rear doors with the heep. You'd be giving up way too much cool factor !!!!! I would think the Jimmy has more torque then the 4 door family heep, so if you ever pull something....well.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK I know I am going to be flamed on this one, but as an owner of both, I can tell you, the room is almost the same although the Jimmy is wider, the inside dimensions are the same give or take na inch.
    The 4 doors is an advantage in my Wag, the wide stance is advantage for stability in the blazer.
    The 360 is no dog, and definitely no Boat anchor, but the Jimmy parts are cheaper and more available.
    The Jeep is lighter than the blazer so I like it in Snow and sand.
    I love my Jimmy on the Rocks, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Hehe.
    I could never part with either one.
    But I can afford to keep both.
    Can you?

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

He's talking about the big body grands not the new one you have.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think he has the older one Grimmy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    '75 Jeep Wgnr, 360/Th400/BWQT/D44/D44/3.54. SO fr, SF+3

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted from his profile..

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hummmm!!!! Grim I am disappointed in you.
    The first thing you do is look at the profile, Good catch Rene.
    You won't catch me in one of those newer ones, too much luxury for my taste.
    I don't even want the power window or locks, more to fail. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sorry. Somebody in the last Day has a new one and threw a picture up of it on the rocks. What are the odds of two CK5's owning Grand wagoners they are proud of?

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well have you tried one lately?
    I know that frizzerfly has a 2 door of the same vintage, it's the Cherokee, and he loves it too.
    Do you have kids? are they exactly the same? do you love them both?
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Actually my arsenal is a little bigger than that.
    A total of 10 and I can't get rid of any of them, each one is special in it's own way.
    Would you get rid of the pontiac, it has taken all this space for 5 years Same as my 67 Firebird by the way, but someday I will get around and fix that engine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I posted the questions here because I knew that this would be the one place where I would get the harshest, most honest criticism of any other truck than the K5.
    My 77 has the flat rear floor with the little crappy back seat and lap belts and no A/C. Ive always said that if it was only me and someone else was paying for the gas I would keep it forever. I like the truck that much. Unfortunately that is not real life. Remember I said FAMILY vehicle.
    Last year while on the road to go camping we were stuck in traffic, pulling the trailer, its 95 degrees + and we're sitting motionless in this "greenhouse" - solid back windows, no A/C, Rear window closed for exhaust fumes, my then 5 year old son in the back seat with 2 dogs. Ahh - good times.
    I agree with the "cool factor" comment. Recently I was driving the Chevelle for 2 weeks. I couldnt wait to get into the Jimmy. I like the Chevelle but I'm more comfortable driving a truck.
    At least I'm not looking for a minivan! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Still I am going to keep it for a while. Right now I am looking for information to make an informed purchase.