Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jimmy's 1st time out after revamp

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 70jimmy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    With questions?? The front is a welded 10 bolt, going down hill, low range, hubs locked, after attaining a little speed maybe 15 or so I get a free wheeling like ratcheting sound. Can't pinpoint from where and dont feel any changes in drivetrain. doesn't happen going up hill and only a few times going downhill. Any suggestions. Hubs, Maybe front becoming disengaged and re-engaging at transfer. I need to look at the shifter boot because I think it restricts a little movement. Anyone, anyone.

Well took the jimmy out for the first time since all the work was done. Axle swap, lockers, 4 wheel disc, body etc.etd

Man am I stoked. The 37" Krawlers are incredible, Twin stick is great. 4 wheel disc Yeahhhh

Sorry no pics I was too busy driving.

Even the edelbrock carb did well. Wussy engine though. Still no sputtering no tire spinning, good drop to the suspension.

Question: While I was going downhill I heard a sound a few different times and I couldn't tell exactly where it came from. It sounded like a gear spinning and the splines spinning inside of where they shouldn't if that makes since. I was curious if maybe this could be the detroit not being engaged and the sound of it ratcheting. It seemed like it was the rear because I didn't hear it when I had the rear disengaged at the transfer case. No loss in power or traction that I noticed like if it was a hub. I never had a detroit or any other locker for that matter before so school me. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Not any noise I'm familiar with. Maybe something rubbing somewhere?

The only noise I ever get out of my lockers is an occasional clunk or muffled pop, and I've only heard that 2 or 3 times.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I think I will throw the front up on jackstands and see if maybe it could be either a hub or possibley the front popping out of low lock and popping back in. Dont know just a thought!!! At least that way I will know if I am getting power to both wheels. Gotta love the twin stick.