Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JKW end cap trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5trucks, Feb 20, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

HOLY CRAP!!!!! This cap is beautiful but it doesn't fit for nothing. The lip that sits on the O ring is visibly thicker than the OEM cap. Maybe 2 millimeters. I could not get the friggin retaining ring on at all. Got partly on but the rest of the ring would not budge. I ended up putting some dings in the aluminum and getting so pissed off i had to stop and come in here to find out if these things have to be placed in a press to squish down the O ring a little more to allow the retaining ring to fit. Anyone else have trouble with there install?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I was hoping to put mine in tomorrow.. *gulp* So, I don't know the solution.

Let's keep it up top

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I helped Ira install his a few months ago. It was a pretty snug fit but I assure you, it did go in.

Try turning the cap while stricking it with a mallet. We put the o-ring in the box not on the cap.

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

mine fit fine. Of course, I am use to everything fighting me on this burb so mabey it was a pita

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Well i dont have digital calipers but like i said it is at least 1-2 millimeters thicker than the stock one. Thought maybe it was my crooked eye but it is definitly thicker. Think i will call in the a.m. and see if they have any tips. If nothing else i can mill down the lip to the factory specs. Seems odd that it doesnt fit good. This thing will not go in trust me. I spent two hours on it and all i got to show for it was a scratched up cap, ps fluid in my face, a bent ring and a wife that wont go near me in fear of getting her head bitten off. Needless to say i am dissapointed. The reason is because now that i fagged it up, i cant return it. Should have just tapped the damn box.

6. chevysmithz71

chevysmithz71 1/2 ton status

Crap!!Just ordered mine today.We'll see when it gets here. Let us know what JKW said or you did about the problem.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Like Brian said he helped me with mine and it def would be easier if you could get a chum to help you out with it. It was really tuff to get in there and it is thicker but that helps the seal alittle in my opinion.

To get mine on we put the oring in the box first not on the cap. I was worried about rolling it or pinching it when we pushed the cap on but if you look at the cap it has a chamfer on it to help slide the oring to the outside of the cap. Once the oring was in and lubed with some PS fluid we seated the cap against the oring and pushed as hard as you ****ing can. If you protect the threads you can tap it with a hammer and get it past the oring. Once it slides past the oring it is alittle easier to work with as it does not try to keep falling out on you.

Next put your snap ring in the groove we also put a box end wrench on the cap and spun it while putting the ring in this helped draw it down alittle and get the snap ring in place. Once the ring was in we worked around 12-6-3-9 tapping the ring into the groove until it was fully seated.

I have had it on for about 1 month now and I have zero leaks from anything. We were pretty ruff with the cap on install and had no problems with it.

One thing to check is to make sure you have no burrs where the oring sits on the cap before you put it in as it will cut the oring if you do and then you have to do it all over again.

It is a tight fit but it will go in. I work for the government, TRUST me:D .

Proof
    endcap.JPG

Ira

endcap.JPG

8. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

Mine is in transit also.

9. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a way of getting ahold of them? He doesnt list a phone number anywhere and i cant find a link to an email. The contact button doesnt list a contact just a screen that pops up asking for a user name and password.

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I know the first few times I tried to install mine the "O" ring got twisted up a little bit and it wouldn't seat propertly. So I cleaned everything out real good with a small wire brush and brake cleaner then lubed it up with ps fluid and it fit. My PS box was almost brand new so there was very little crud built up which helped.

Works great too.

11. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna give it another go with some of the suggestions from here. If i cant get it i'll let you know. If i do, i'll tell you how i do it. This is gonna be a long day.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Wrangle one of your neighbors into lending a spare set of hands.. LOL.

"Hey Herb, .. come check this out.... hold this will ya". :thumb:

All dudes are challenge junkies. Once they see it's a challenge, they'll be compelled to try and make it work. I know it works on me when my kiddos are having trouble with something. I don't have neighbors.. but I take my stubborn stuff to my fire station, and soon everyone is crowded around awaiting their turn to "make it happen". :D

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Clean the box well, especially the groove for the ring. It will have a lip of rust on it. For o-ring issues, I would not rotate the cap.
    I used the EMS cap and had some trouble like you are having. The nice thing about that cap is that you can use a chisel along the edge of the cap and it pushes the snap ring down and out.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm keeping this near the top since I have the same cap and was planning on installing it tomorrow. Hope you get it in.

At least my steering box is fairly new. maybe that will help me.:crazy:

15. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

did you get it in? I am heading out to mess with mine in a few hours.

16. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I did manage to get the cap in. Took two very determined friends and a lot of elbow grease. Tried putting it in the press @ 5000lbs but it didnt make a difference. What did work was getting one end of the ring started then using a chisel ( as described above ) and working the ring in a little at a time. You will bitch up the end cap a bit but it will buff out. Got a massive hard on when it went in. Hope i never have to take that ****er out. My advice, use a chisel, a vise and an extra set of hands. Thanks again for all the helpful info.