Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JL Audio not what they're said to be????

Discussion in 'Audio' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 20, 2001.

JL Audio not what they\'re said to be????

I got a qustion for you all. I am getting $2500 this week and I was going to put about $500 of that into subs and a amp for my truck. Well I had it all planned out. I was getting 2 JL Audio 10 W3's and a JL Audio 500/1 amp. I have heard really good things about JL Audio but today my friend at school that is pretty into sound systems said you can get stuff that sounds a lot better the JL for the same price. Is this true? If so what other brands are just as good or better? Are there some brands that are just as good or better for cheaper? Thanks for your help.

If it aint Chevy it aint worth anything.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Re: JL Audio not what they\'re said to be????

man I tell ya what I had JL audio subs, and components all the way around and I never heard another system that had the same quaility... I was using eclipse amps though.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You can't believe one person when it comes to this kinda stuff. You can't even trust a bunch of people. Stereo stuff has alot more to do with personal opinion than solid facts. Engines and axles are easier to compare objectively. Listen to what you're going to buy...if you like how it sounds then go for it. But you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. You have to spend some cash to get better quality.
    I disagree about the JL comment though. Look at how many IASCA and USAC competitors use and have used JL subs for the last almost decade. They are very popular and aren't that expensive. I've built several boxes for JL subs and I think they sound great...I've just never owned any myself. I don't know that much about their amps though.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Confederate,

I can take the "best" subs and make them sound horrible by installing them in a crappy box, and conversely I can probably make some fairly "mediocre" subs sound good by spending a lot of time designing and building a really good box....and putting a strong, clean amp to them.

My point is that there will always be someone who says they "are just as good for less money"...That's true for cars, tools, stereo equipment, etc. At some point, you need to decide how comfortable you feel with this "friends" advice and if you'd always regret not doing what you REALLY wanted to do. The "good stuff" will always cost money....but the flip side is that you can avoid a lot of trouble by going with a "proven" manufacturer.....JL Audio has a good reputation, they have great box designing specs on their website, and they actually answer technical e-mail questions within 24 hours! That's worth a lot to me.... [​IMG]

I've got two 10W3s in my Blazer.....it ROCKS!!! Ask 1FNHIK5 or TMANOFCALI who have actually gotten to listen to it.....where are you located? I would be happy to demo my system for you, if you are interested.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

The thing to do is match the sub with the amp power rating. Will you be power speakers also from your sub? Some good subs (from reviews and forums) are Image Dynamics and JL Audio. I haven't heard much about the JL amp. I'm building a system myself so I've been studying like mad. Next week I'll hit the stereo stores, listen and play with the stuff. The speakers will not sound the same in the store as they will in your blazer though. The setup I'm considering right now is:
    PPI PCX-480 amp, $380, Zeb audio, online
    Infinity Perfect sub 10", $180, Zeb
    Diamond Audio 6.5" component speakers, $300, not sure where to get yet, also CDT or Focals possible at Zeb
    Q-Logic kick panels, not sure if the 6.5" will fit in them or if I'll have to build my own..
    Supposedly that PPI I'm looking at will put out 80 watts rms to 4 channels and 320 if bridged. I'm a little suspicious of the 320 as that seems like a big jump. I'm still investigating. What I'm going to do is run my components in the kick panels with two 80 watt channels then bridge the other two for I think 320 watts to run the sub. If it is 320 then I'll get the Infinity probably, if it's under 200watts I'll probably get the Image Dynamics as they are rated less. One other thing to watch is how many coils they use. A dual 4 ohm coil is pretty worthless unless you have multiple channels or amps to drive it. That PPI is not 2 ohm stable, it's 4ohm stable bridged so you need a 4 ohm single coil or dual 2 ohms ran in series. This is just my 2 cents from lots of research and not much actual experience, yet...

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

tater,

The speakers will definitely NOT sound the same in the store as they will in you vehicle.....that's one of the most frustrating parts. Most store displays sound like CRAP!

That is why it's so important to listen to stuff IN cars to get an idea of what's good....the store demo won't really help you that much in terms of "absolute sound quality"...

By the way, my rule of thumb is to allocate about HALF of the power for the entire system to the subs...they are the largest speaker, and by far require the most power to accurately control their movement. In a 400 watt system, I'd set aside 200 Watts for the subs.....etc.

Let us know what happens at your "store demo" and I'm sure folks here will be able to help you with the "research"....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I think Greg &amp; Tater pretty much summed it up, also you need to decide what you want you sub to do, do you want precision bass or just want some solid bass, if you just want some solid bass, you can get cheaper but for SQ stuff your gonna have to push more power and money on your subs.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

7. tightwork 82 K5

tightwork 82 K5 Registered Member

I just got 2 polk gnx series subs and the x-plod 1000x1 amp for 553 bones, havent wired them up yet but for the price could not beat it. circut city had them on sale

I got a neon stuck in my grill !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/tightwork

8. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I had two Jl audio 12w6 and they sounded like butter! my only compliant is that they wanted to have more power and i just couldn't afford that. then when I blew my amp out of stupidity that was the end of my bumping. If your looking to put something good in your truck consider 2 almost new 12w6 in a custom proffesionally built sealed box according to JL specs I'd be willing to sell them to you for $350. if you want I can e-mail you pictures but i warn you they look damn smooth when there not in a normal black carpeted box. the one there in now is light brown and contrasts great with the black and white.

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok as for if the JL audio amps/subs are worth the money.... Like most said it is up to personal taste.. Personally i like JL Audio subs and the amps have some really killer features...

I have listened to alot of different types of subs... My personal experience is that the JL Audio line of subs are pretty much a sure bet when buying... They are a very forgiving subwoofer (i.e. box design, power input, etc.), Personally i would recommend buying the subs...

Now for the amps... (hehehehe... ready for all of this)
    1.In order to get put on the shelf at the store the amp has to push 20% more then what it is rated at.. i.e. teh 250.1 is rated at 250w x 1 channel but has to push out 300watts in order to make it out the door...
    2. The built in x-over is one of the better designs you can get at this time...
    3. The fact that is has RCA input sensitivity.. (i.e. you dont need to run a remote wire to turn the amp on.. it does it from sensing any input from the rca's...
    4. This is the biggest one of them all
    THE DESIGNER OF THE JL AUDIO AMP IS THE SAME PEOPLE THAT DESIGNED THE ORIGNAL PPI AMPS (I.E. ART SERIES, BACK WHEN THEY MADE THE NAME FOR THERE QUALITY)....

I have done alot of comparisons of the jl audio amps and alot of other higher dollar models and the jl audio amp i think ranks higher then alot of them... If you want more info on there amps and subs go to there website at [http]www.jlaudio.com[/http]

I hope this helps you out.. personally if all your going to be giving is about 500 bucks for all of it... it doesnt sound like a bad deal...

Now if you want to compare the best thing i can tell you is to go to your local stereo shops and listen to what they have to offer... But like it is stated before and any good shop will tell you this.. Listen to it in other peoples cars, the demo rooms are not a very good place to listen to subs...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

JL W7's are either out or soon to be and if they perform anything like the rest of the JL line, they will be awesome. you might want to consider these, but I think that they are about $600 oer sub.

Know any GOOD Wheelin' in Northwest Jersey, let me know?