Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JL help... Alpine amp question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by personaltrainer, Mar 16, 2005.

1. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

I bought a JL sub in a sealed box today along with an alpine amp. I need to know several things. How can I tell what the sub is? W3? W6? I took it out of the box and it doesn't indicate on the back of the speaker only "VRC" across the magnet

With the sub came an alpine amp. I was wondering if anyone could give me the power rating for it - it is a "V-Power 2/1 channel Power amp. #MRP-T130.

Also the centercone of the sub is comming loose - I was wondering what JL's policy was for warranty etc etc. If there is a way i could squeeze a new speaker out of them that would be awesome - I'm in no hurry as the truck is in a million pieces right now but I'd like to get the ball rolling ASAP.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The W3 is a more rounded magnet structure (check out my pics in the gallery under "Stereo Install"....I have some pics of W3s in there...

The W6 is a very square-shouldered magnet structure. A lot deeper mounting depth too IIRC...?

From what I've heard, JL is not very generous about warrantee work. There are so many people in competitions using JLs and blowing voicecoils, etc. that JL would be out of business if they swapped out blown speakers with no questions asked. I'm sure they will "repair" the speaker for a fee....but it's unlikely you'll get a "freebie".

No idea on the Alpine amp.....I'd "google" the model number and see if you can find a .pdf spec sheet somewhere.

ps. Is decline bench press designed to work the upper pects or the lower pects??? (Hey, I'm answering YOUR questions!!!) :D

3. personaltrainer

greg - thanks for the info. Think i'd be okay to just glue the cone back to the speaker? if so what glue would you recomend. It's hard to explain but I'll try - the cone is only partly unglued - so I could re-glue only the part that has come undone - but how? How will I get anything to apply the glue into such a small surface? I'll google the amp.

as for your training question - decline is supposed to be for lower pecs, however it's overrated. Flat bench and incline bench with dumbells are generally all you'll need - then again it depends on what your going for - I'm about to do my first bodybuilding show is my goals are different from most people's. hope that helps.

damn i'm long winded tonight! later.:)

4. Greg72

So you're saying that the cone is seperated from the rubber surround???

If so, you can probably repair it yourself.... some toothpicks and some superglue might do the trick. Toothpicks will allow you to apply the glue in a more "delicate" and precise fashion than just squeezing the glue straight out of the tube......

I got a routine from a trainer that does alternating sets of chest/back in the same routine (super-setting?) I start with incline, then after some back stuff....go to flat bench....then finally to decline. Decline is an awkward feeling one, but it does seem to be the easiest of the three types of bench.....???

5. personaltrainer

looked up the amp. looks like bridged it is 240w RMS - sells for like $100! Looked up the sub (JL 1204W) and it sells for about $120. Damn it - I thought I got this great deal today! should have done my research first.

greg - the very center piece of the speaker is coming off - the part that says "JL" on it. Superglue and toothpicks might be the way to go here - or i was thinking about using a straightened paperclip to apply b/c I could bend the tip to apply - anyway that's that.

Sounds like a good enough routine - at least your sure your hitting everything - decline doesn't hurt (unless your hypertensive). Stick with it. You check out my website? www.ddpersonaltraining.com
    It's not finished and my webdesigner skipped town on me but it's sufficient for now. later

6. Greg72

Yes I did.....you are a HOUSE!!! :cool1:

Do you do consulting for the nutrition side of training as well? That's where I feel most lost..... I am eating egg whites for breakfast, and trying to avoid the 3/4-pound pasta dinners that I used to eat, but what to eat is really a "hit-or-miss" proposition with me....

I'm alternating between weight training and cardio which historically has worked for me (Chest/Back one day, Run 5 miles next day, Shoulders , Run 5, Arms, Run 5....rest Sunday) It's tough getting old, my metabolism isn't what it used to be.... :(

7. personaltrainer

I do also consult for nutrition and set up diet plans for my clients. I try to make something that is "do-able". A great first step is to write down everything you eat - and when you eat it for 4 days. At the end of the 4 days you can look back over the food log and you'll probley be able to see some of your problems (or "bad food choices" as I refer to them!) If you can identify these bad choices, then plug in an aternate (and more beneficial) food. Sounds easy right? - IT IS!

keeping track of your food intake and times will also make you think twice befor you make a bad choice b/c you know you'll have to be accountable for it. As for your resistance training/cardio routine - it looks good to me. Stick with what works - when it no longer works, switch it up. I'll help you out if you need me to.
    Later Greg.

8. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

As far as your speaker it is only the dust cap and that is not a warranty item. Just do the toothpick job and it will be fine. For the w3 or w6, it is the ohm reading of each voice coil. Check it with a ohm meter and that will tell you which speaker you got. Good luck and make sure you keep the speaker in a safe place until you install it. Speakers tend to be a magnet for puncture and damage when they are lying around.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

/////ALPINE
    MRP-T130
    DC-DC 2/1 Channel Power Amplifier
    SPECIFICATIONS

Power Output: RMS Continuous Power (at 14.4V, 20 Hz to 20 kHz)​

Per channel into 4 ohms 50W (0.08% THD)

Per channel into 2 ohms 65W (
    0.3% THD)

Bridged into 4 ohms 130W (0.3% THD)

[left]Max. Power Output (at 14.4V)[/left]

[font=Arial][size=1][left]Per channel into 4 ohms [font=Arial][size=1][i]90W[/i] [/size][/font][/left]

[font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][size=1][left]Bridged into 4 ohms [font=Arial][size=1][i]240W[/i][/size][/font][/left]

[font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][size=1][left]Frequency Response [font=Arial][size=1][i]10 Hz to 50 kHz [font=Arial][size=1](+0, [/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1]–[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1]1 dB)[/size][/font][/i][font=Arial][size=1]

[i]
    [/i][/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][size=1][i]
    [/i]

[i][/i][/size][i][/i][/font][i][/i][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Signal-to-Noise Ratio [font=Arial][size=1][i]100 dB [/i][font=Arial][size=1][i](referenced to rated power)[/i]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left][font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][size=1]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Slew factor [font=Arial][size=1]Greater than 5

[/size][/font][/left][font=Arial][size=1]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Input Sensitivity (for rated power output) [font=Arial][size=1][i]200 mV to 4.0 V (1.0 V at center detent)[/i]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Input Impedance [font=Arial][size=1]10k ohms <

[/size][/font][left][/left][/size][left][/left][/font][left][font=Arial][size=1]

[left]Speaker Impedance [font=Arial][size=1][i]4 or 2 ohms (Stereo), 4 ohms (Bridged)[/i][/size][/font][/left]

[font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][size=1][left]Active Dividing Network (Frequency and Slope) [font=Arial][size=1][i]80 Hz, 18 dB per octave[/i]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Power Requirement [i][font=Arial][size=1]11 [/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1]– [/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1]16 VDC Negative Ground[/size][/font][/i][font=Arial][size=1]

[i]
    [/i][/size][/font][/left][font=Arial][size=1][i]
    [/i]

[i][/i][/size][i][/i][/font][i][/i][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][left]Bass EQ [font=Arial][size=1][i]50 Hz + 8 dB FIX[/i]

[/size][/font][left][/left][/size][left][/left][/font][left]

[/left]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]