Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JL W7...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Ruthven13, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

oes anyone here have any experiance with the w7 series? I just ordered a 13w7 in sealed box and am anxious while awaiting delivery. I will be driving it with a Zapco 750 amp with two Voodoo 1f caps. I suppose i should mention this is most definately NOT a SPL setup. I could care less about that. I ma building up a SQ system and just thought i would start with the most expensive parts first and then keep adding things to it. As is it has a Panasonic 983u head unit with kicker components in kik panel enclosures. Hopefully the midbass will come in soon! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

As long as you get the box right you will not be disappointed with the W7. I've always been a JL fan, I've run a pair of 12w6's in an Accord, and in my 93 reg cab 4 10w1-8's and a set of 6" XR components.

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

OK... I swear my dealer is torturing me. I ordered my stuff two weeks ago. One week later my dual cap setup comes in. Then, today, I get the W7 itself. Now he say s the amps won't be in until monday. Is this guy a sadist or what!?

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

All i can say is WOW!!! Thought my windows were going th blow out!!

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A buddy of mine has (2)12w7's with like 1200 watts powering both. Had to replace his rear window in his 99' extended cab with plexi glass because he cracked it. I bought (3) 10w3v2's with an arc audio 1000watter to power them myself and I'm a little worried about my back window.

6. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i am running a jl 10w7 in a sealed box in my 1988 nissan pathfinder daily driver. i am using a precision power 1400 amp running 600watts into it ithink you will be very happy!! i listen to mostly metal and rock no rap stuff but the bass is tight with no distortion i think the 7w13 is a 15 inch sub? i was told the 10w7 needed minimum 500 watts the zapcos should do fine it will be worth the wait! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

being a car audio freak im not at all impressed with the w7 series.. price is a big factor. i can find 13w7s for 500 bux all day long and still wouldnt get one. i heard 2 13w7 in a cherokee with approx 1300w to each w7 yea it got loud not worth the 799 that the kid spent on each sub. they were sealed as well. now you can get an RE XXX for half the price it has xbl2 technology which gives it outstanding SQ and they still get loud. other subs that will compete with the w7 are the adire brahma 15,id say image dynamics idmax,dd,inhuman(if you can find em) and of coarse orion h2s. dont get me wrong jl makes some very good quality equip just a little expensive is all

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    dont get me wrong jl makes some very good quality equip just a little expensive is all

[/ QUOTE ]
    JL is the sh!t! I just sold my (2)10w0's with the 250x1 JL amp that hit really good for it's power and size. I bought (3) 10w3v2's with an Arc audio 1,050Watt amp! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

JL Audio makes some high quality subs, but for the money, I'll go with TREO's

10. rjfguitar

JL isn't all that expensive, is it? seemed to be around the same amount as most other leading competitors like eclipse, audiobahn,Kicker. I paid $120 a piece for my 10W3v2's but I got them for cost luckely. Still they are $230 regular price where I got them and that still isn't bad for a high performance sub like the W3v2's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I was kinda thinking of a couple of the 13" W7's powered by the JL Audio 1000/1 amp for "rev 2" of the K5 Stereo.

I don't get my stuff for "cost" (which would be nice BTW) but still pretty cheap through a local audio maestro.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

....If only I had unlimited time and unlimited $$$....

12. ilikeitloud

if you wanna run the 13w7 id run a 1000/1 to each coil... 4 1000/1s and 2 13w7 would be insane /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    if you wanna run the 13w7 id run a 1000/1 to each coil... 4 1000/1s and 2 13w7 would be insane /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So would the price. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. ilikeitloud

i hear ya on that bro.....

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Been having some problems with my setup. First, the first Zapco 750 took a dump on me withina month. Took it back to the shop where i bought it and exchanged it for a Zapco 1100M. Now it seems not to play as loud or deep as the 750, and starts distorting earlier. I thought the w7 could handle all that power. When i put the 750 in, the gain was almost all the way down, and the crossovers set right. On the new one, the gain is up a little more, and i had the shop set it up. Somewhat dissapointed. One would think it would play louder with the same clarity. All other settings (head unit) remained the same. Any ideas?

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, get rid of the zapco amp and get an Arc audio or JL amp. I don't mean to come off rude or reply like Tim /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but I have seen nothing but bad with those amps and I know from my own setup that Arc works VERY well with JL and obviously JL amps work good with JL subs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Both brands of amps absolutley rock! Arc is probably a little better but both will outperform anything else I've ever seen or heard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, get rid of the zapco amp and get an Arc audio or JL amp. I don't mean to come off rude or reply like Tim /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but I have seen nothing but bad with those amps and I know from my own setup that Arc works VERY well with JL and obviously JL amps work good with JL subs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Both brands of amps absolutley rock! Arc is probably a little better but both will outperform anything else I've ever seen or heard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Get a MMATS D300hc. There is no beating a MMATS amp !!!!!!!!!!

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ] Get a MMATS D300hc. There is no beating a MMATS amp !!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    An Arc audio 2500 or 4000 would Squash it!!!!!!!!