Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job Offer, Part Zwei

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 2, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Called the guy today, told him $7.50 just isn't enough, I can't take the job. He offered me $10.50. It is about 4 miles from my house. Full time, benefits, 30 days will be reviewed and maybe making more money(I stupidly said I was looking for $12 so I may have shot myself in the foot there). I am having trouble thinking about if I want this job or not. I'm half insulkted by his initial offer and the fact that he just jumped up when I said it was too little. He said "Well you are working construction right now so I wanted to see what you could do before we talked more money"... either way I called my buddy today, he is making $8.75 an hour at pep boys changing oil and tires... :rolleyes: This is the first job offer I've had yet, wondering if I'm gonna screw myself by taking it, or screw myself but not taking it. All this and I have to come up with tools I can't afford(loan) before I start.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

gonna have to buy those tools no matter what.

might as well get em now.

id try a couple of pawn shops first if i were you.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

If the dude's serious about a raise after 30 days if you're worth his time, I'd consider it. Ryan's right about the tools, and $10.50/hr is better than $0/hr.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm making money working for my dad so its not $0 an hour right now. Dad was talking about taking on a house job(full framing) if I don't get a job, so money would be there.

I know I have to get tools sooner or later, Would be nice to find a place that will pay for them though(rare enough though). Pawn shops don't exist really in my area in this county or surroudning ones. We stopped at one today to see but they had no hand tools. Trying to find used Snap On stuff. Going to contact the local rep tomorrow and see about meeting with him about used stuff and maybe new stuff.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

this is one problem with you guys coming out of tech school... you expect to just jump right in at the "50-60K" that the tech school has put in your head. regardless of what kind of piece of paper you have, you still have to prove yourself. this means starting at the bottom and working your way up. i've got quite a few friends who were in the same boat. gave them a very similar reality check, and ironically, now they are making the 50-60K that the tech school told them about. it takes a little time and effort to get there.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't feel insulted man. You got lowballed. It happens. Now that the pay is a little better just go through and re-evaluate the situation.

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :mad:

What tools are you gonna need?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sigh, you have to be an asshat more often than not eh? What would be so hard about saying "you have to pay your dues, I'd take that money"?

I know damn well I have no experience and need to get some, but if I can get into a better place(This dealership is notorious for just being all around crap, they told my buddy to stop taking his truck to them after the 3rd time of them not being able to fix it, turns out the head bolts were loose, among other things). Again, is it smart to jump on the very first offer tha comes along? I've JUST started applying for tech positions. This was the 3rd place I applied to, the first place told me today they would consider training me to be a heavy truck tech, should hear soon...

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That sounded like welcome to the real world advice to me.

Doesn't your school offer something with Snap-On industrial sales? Even the the little aviation school I went to gets us 50% of list. Most pawn shops wont sell them much below 50% off new anyway. Unless they are broke or stolen.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

dude your thinking 10.50, 10.50 not 10.50 plu benefits. do the math. how much is that dealer paying an hour for your benefits? add that to the 10.50 and thats what your making an hour. your buddy may make 8.75 but hes not making any benefits. think about that for a lil while.

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

start working there, get some exp, and turn the place around. figure out what techs are worth a crap and then start asking them questions.

would this be 10.50 on the clock or flat rate?

you def. wont turn 40 hours a week flate rate first week out. i would guess most guys start around 20-25 hours first couple of weeks.

my dealer used to pay us to train, so you could do computer based classes at home, and make big bucks. i used to keep about a 20-40 hour training reserve to make up for slow weeks. you could do a class that paid 4 hours in about 45 min to 1.5 hrs.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

10.50 plus benes is pretty good, id at least try it out. Hell Ive been workin at this place for 4 Employment Experiences and close to a year full time and im only making 9.50 plus benes. Ive got Class B CDL, soon Class A, all my Licenses to Custom Applicate Herbicides, Fungicides and Fertilizer. Its just a matter of workign your way up the totem pole.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Strange...I started at $14 an hour out of tech school...course that's in diesel and I have 7 ASE certs for the heavy stuff. Diesel generally pays more, anyway.

Do you have any ASE certs, sled? If so, point those out. You obviously know some bit of what you are doing by having those. Isn't WyoTech supposed to help you find a job as part of the benefit of having gone there?

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Take the job.....start getting some experience and keep looking at other opportunities as they come along.

You are in a MUCH stronger position to negotiate if you are already employed, than if you are fresh out of school and/or unemployed.

And, as was already mentioned don't ignore the importance of benefits. Medical is especially important and you don't appreciate how nice insurance is until you have to visit the hospital without any....

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Nope, my own dumb fault for passing up the chance(kept procrastinating signing up until it was too late). I am going to call and clarify benefits today, if I like what I hear, I'm going to restate that I take the job and start as soon as I find tools. That is one of the things I have to clarify. I know other places that for every ASE cert you get they bump you $1 an hour. I want to ask if this place has a similar incentive. Either way the next chance I get I am going to take as many of them as I feel comfortable taking at one time. My teachers claim our school tests were actually old ASE tests and if we can pass those we could pass ASE tests, I will see how true that is. In fact I'm gonna look up when it is next. The other thing is, I don't have my emissions license, I will be going for it very shortly though(in the next two weeks the class starts, goes 4 nights then I can get that).

My school did offer SOME deals on tools. It most certainly was not 50% off. They sell you on the school telling you you can buy all this Snap On stuff at 50% off. Then they give you a catalog and say "You can only buy this stuff". And only like 3 items on the entire list were 50% off. When it came down to time to order tools, even at the discount, I simply couldn't find the money to do it. When I graduated there was a rumor going around that teachers are no longer allowed to sign student forms for kids to get tools through Mac or Matco anymore either. A guy I knew got almsot $20,000 worth of Mac tools, at a much better deal than Snap On was offering, but after he graduated the school said the teacher couldn't sign the form(which asks for a teacher or administrative signature), luckily an administrater ended up signing it for him.

As for Wyotech's Job placement. I didn't care to go through them. They send me job availaibilities, but not a single one they have sent was anywhere near my area. They were all in the far reaches of NJ or Western PA. I have no desire whatsoever to move in the anywhere near distant future so that didn't work for me. Thats how they work, they just send your stuff out in mass to places you don't care about, and flood you with places. What I should have taken advantage of was they give you a list of companies, and you pick 50 of them, they send out your info to those places so when you get home your name is already out there. However again, they had like 2 dealerships from my area in their database, where as there are a LOT of dealerships around here.

In the end I think I'm going to take the job. Even if I get offered the heavy truck job, it is down the line in Conshohocken(nearer to Philly), and would cost me tolls and gas to get their every day. Versus this place which is 3 miles from home, in a town I'm fully familiar with.

Edit: Spring ASEs are in May, good ways off. Thats alright, I'll take all 8 for master tech then and see how I do. Just have to set some money aside between now and end of March so I can do it.

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you want to hunt used Snappy, Mac, Matco, etc... might wanna take a serious look at Ebay... generally you can get stuff at 1/2 the cost of on the truck... and thats new stuff too alot of the time..

gottta know your prices, cuz they're all not deals, but there are alot of good deals to be had..

i spent a couple years shopping Snappy on there.. usually there's about 80 pages or so... i have gotten some killer deals... 50 Snappy air hammer bits for $55. heck they're $30 a piece on the truck... brand new $45 giant cold chisel for $7...

lots of mechanics watching that stuff, but sometimes things slip by em....

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is one crappy tool deal. AS long as we had something from our approved list we could order any other hand tools. The industrial sales guy here doesn't give a crap as long as he's making $$$.

Like royken said check e-bay, I've bought some stuff that was good & some broke and the man on the truck was happy to fix it. I also bought a refurbished air ratchet off the truck that was a very good deal. I also bought an air ratchet of e-bay that had a broken housing. I took it to work and they replaced the housing, good as new. See if the place you plan on working services air tools or has a deal w/ a supplier/service center. If they do, only buy models they repair. There are deals out there just keep you eyes pealed.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ebay has been pretty sparce. I could piece things together, but then who knows what I would forget. I'd rather get a situation and say, "I have that" rather than "doh I need one of those". I found one on Ebay that ended last night before I had a chance to discuss anything with the person. But I guess his reserve was not met, cause everything is back up. Top and bottom black 40" boxes(rather something larger but I can't be picky) and all brand new Snap On tools, notevertyhing I need(no impact or air stuff) but a very good starting place.

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Take the job. If you are any good, you will make better money shortly. Get a couple of snapon ratchets and some craftsman sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers/pliers, and buy better stuff later when you can afford it.
    BTW the dealers I have worked at only gave the A.S.E money to techs that got them while employed. I have seen a number of A.S.E. master techs(right out of school), that couldn't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag. So IMO no big loss.

20. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Hey Sled, good on ya for getting gradgimicated, if its tools ya need get snap on ratchets and craftsman sockets, snapon makes some good wrenches but craftsman will do for now and get a big box if you can, you can always fill it later, and get by on basic tools for now.