Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job offer... yay?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 1, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Got an offer today... $7.50 an hour for 30 days then review. I can't see it going much higher from there after 30 days though. It is the first offer I've recieved in the just over a month I've been job hunting. My best friend just got a job at Pep Boys, changing oil, making $8.00 an hour. And the kid has NO experience, or Training. I don't have a sense of arrogance from going to Wyotech but I think myself worth more than $7.50. Of course being the first real job offer I've ever had I didn't have to balls to say that right to the guy right away. I'm gonna call him back tomorrow and say, "look after doing the math, I can't afford to work for that". Which really, I worked as a cashier at a gas station before school, making the EXACT same money. I was just able to make my truck payment, insurance payment, and have a slight bit left over. Now I would have more hours at this dealership job, but I would also have a tool payment and I have to make payments on some money my parents lent me as well. So no way I can be working for that much. So frustrating!!!

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats the position? at a dealership, that sounds awful low, even for Pennsy...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Entry Level Auto Tech. One of my good friends started at a dealership in high school making $9.00 an hour. Second shift with no training and no experience, just a technical mind. I talked to him, he said to not even consider that, I can do better. But as of yet, Im not...

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

doesnt wyotech have job placement? it would be nice to tell him where to shove that 7.50 but sometimes you gotta suck it up. dont know what else to tell you though. if your still living at hom you should be able to manage and get by. (granted with those bills you wont have enough money for the dollar menu at mcdonalds)

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Wyotech's placement sucks. All they do is give you a list of places in your state and 2 other states of your choice and send out your resume to 50 places of your choice. I've been doing the samething on my own just fine. They've sent me a bunch of "job openings" for places by Pittsburg, real helpful...

6. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

You should be able to do much better than that. $7.40 is minimum wage in CT. Goodluck

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

it went up again? last i knew it was $7.15 hell just a year and a half ago it was 6.90

8. ryoken

just keep in mind, whats gonna happen in a couple years at a place... if theres good room for advancement and experience, it'll be worth dealing with the lower pay... look at how the more experienced guys at a place are doing...

maybe a local welding apprentice gig? that seems like it would be goood experience for what your looking to do...

being your at home you'll have that advantage to deal with lower pay for awhile.. be grateful your not forced out on your own.. i was... had my first apartment at 18...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its $6 something in PA now. So $20,000 worth of school, an inspection license, paying for my own tools buys me, $1.25???

and I don't plan to be at the place in a few years. I need to make money now so I can afford to buy my tools and some fab tools. I wasn't bad with it when he said it but the more I really think about it, its really bothering me how little that is. THe fact that my buddy is working at Pep Boys in a poorer area making more money for changing oil is a big thing in my head at the moment.

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'd say that in spite of the fact that you know you're worth more than that, might as well take it and work while shopping for a job. you can always use it in the end to your advantage - say you find another job a couple weeks after taking this one and you are offered more money. go to your work and tell them, see if they'll make a counter offer. if not, that's fine, take the better paying job. ultimately, it's a win win situation for you and you make some money (however little) in the mean time. that's the way i approach job hunting, anyway.

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not to sound like an ass but you can mow lawns and make a hell of a lot more than $20000 a year. Why don't you do like so many of us on here wish we could have. Work a job just to pay for the essentials (student loans, gas, insur., medical). Start your own business doing what you enjoy. Hell, your young, live at home, have an education and interest in wrenching. Its the CK5 dream.:thumb:

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats what I want to do actually. But $7.50 an hour its not gonna happen. Paying bills it would probably take me a year to afford a couple good welders and a bender. My buddy is looking to start a business sometime in the near future, I just need to find work to afford some tools and pay the bills for the next year or so. But I don't think that means I should be taking, JUST enough. Like my buddy said when I asked his opinion, "You are probably making that much working construction for your dad and you don't have a tool payment there" which is the truth.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but being employed for 1 month won't show well at all on a resume or in an interview. "How long have you been at Faulkner" "a couple days..."

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

everyone i've talked to says that if you're only with a company for a couple weeks, then you don't have to put it on your resume. don't know if that's good practice. i had the same qualms initially too. besides, a reason for leaving would be well justified to say you had a better offer. shows you're in demand. :D

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

true but if you explain why you were there for such a short period of time or come up with a good excuse... such as: " i didnt feel there was enough room for advancement. i wanted to be in a job where i knew i had a future." then if they come back at you with "well why did you take the job in the first place?" give em "it was a job that i took while looking. it was all i could find at the time and needed something, bills dont pay themselves." It doesnt nessecarily have to be 100% true but it does have to make you sound like a motivated individual, whos not going to jump from job to jump for a small pay increase.

16. ryoken

it can also make you sound bad... especially if ya leave without notice... the minute we have a new guy in an interview and says "oh, i can start monday, i'll quit tommorrow", he ain't getting a job with us..

most of the time, they don't even realize they just nailed their own coffin, they think the opposite.. whats to say you won't do that to us..

i don't think he should rush into anything.. he's working with dad to cover stuff.. take his time and find something thats gonna do him some good in the end...

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Personally, I would not take it. Counter guys at the parts store get more than that. Most part store managers like two things in there counter help; Guys w/ real auto knowledge and cute chicks. I know its not what you wanted after all that school, but the pay is almost twice what you just got offered.

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ummm...just to put this in perspective. You could walk into a Target store and tell them you want to unload trucks and you'd probably get hired instantly and definitely start at or above the wage you were offered.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a couple years ago, i put in an app at a muffler shop when i was out of work. the guy offered me $8.50/hr, and i had to supply my own tools. i laughed in his face, and told him with the kind of knowledge i have (and he knew it, he used to do all my exhaust work) if he wants to pay me 8.50/hr, not only had he better supply my tools, but he better be right there to hand me the tools i need.

true, i didnt finish my degree, but i'm just lacking the business portion of it, but i still have the technical know how. you're worth WAY more than 7.50/hr. anymore, i wont roll out of bed for less than 13.00/hr. i can match that on unemployment.

20. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We have one of your fellow classmates at the dealership I work at. He's been there a few months and started at $11.75 an hour (flat rate). You might know him, his name is Robert Greenwall.