Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job problems - looking for a new one

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Today it has reached a point where I no longer give a darn about my job. I have never had a job where I actually felt dumber when I left to go home for the day. 4 years of college (didn't graduate) and I'm doing the job on a high school kid. My pay sucks ($28k/yr), I have nothing in common with my coworkers(except one who restores TAs and he wants me to leave because he has become a good friend who realizes my potential), and it is mindless work. I am a draftsman, but I do hardly any drafting. I need to keep a steady job making at least what I make now, since my wife is going back to school and I am the only one working right now. I have been looking for another job, but the fact is that I absolutely hate this line of work and do not want to be in it any longer. I am in school studying to be a teacher, but won't have my degree and certification for another 2 years. What the hell do I do? I want to get the hell out of here, but I feel like I am stuck here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Get another job.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Gee, thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have been looking for another job, just nothing around here available and I really don't know if I want to be in the same line of work.

Anybody else with a HELPFUL comment? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know what to say. Sometimes life sucks, and having a [I love Jeeps] job you hate is a reality for the majority...

Your only options are to quit and find another job...or stay until you have your teaching degree.

Personally I'd find a way to cope until either your wife is working or you have your degree. It's amazing how much you'd appreciate that job if you didn't have any job for a while.

Rene

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I guess it has just been building up in me for the last year and today it is really coming to a head. I would walk out of here right now if my wife was working. I guess I just needed some people to calm me down. I appreciate it, Rene.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for kicking a crap job to the curb...if you have something else to go to. Spending 4 months looking for any job changes your outlook a lot /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Maybe if you started drinking at lunch it'd be more bearable?/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I know you are a little far from the outer banks, but there are some awesome opportunities there to start your own business. There's a huge problem out there getting ANYONE to do ANYTHING on the homes there. Can't find people to clean them well, repair guys and construction guys just never show up, stuff like that. There is always something to fix on those houses as many are rented thru the season.

Someone with ambition and management skills (to run a staff, ensure timely and excellent service, etc.) could become very wealthy servicing those areas.

8. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I am a draftsman... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey thats what im looking for now, wanna trade? i do propane crap. becouse of the totally irregular hours i can't go to school to finsh my engeneering degree, i make just over 30k with all the overtime, and thats in chicago area, sooo.... wanna trade?

grass is always greener on the other side, always let youreself cool down before making a decison, best place to coold down? 3 ft deep mud water!

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Do you have a computer with the drafting applications? You could try freelancing. There are seveal companies that might help place you in temp jobs. I'm a graphic designer (I know, a little different) and I worked for 2 years solid at different design firms through a company called Creative Assets. They don't have any offices out your way, but there may be other placement firms that would take you on. Many of the placement firms also offer benefits if you work a certain number of hours per week through them. It might be enough to get you through your teaching certificate or you may find a company you like. Oh yeah, freelance rates are usually much higher per hour since the companys aren't paying benefits, etc.

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gee, thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dood, I didn't know what else to say... A friend of mine is a cad draftsman and he does it at home instead of in an office. He just goes down there to collect his check and the next job order. He is also going to school on line for a degree. What about something like that?

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have less college and better pay doing similar work (of course I am going on 8 yrs experience because less college = more time to work)... But you need to relabel your job classification to Design/Drafter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Bechtel jobs They have jobs/projects all over the world and pay well if you have to/are willing to relocate.

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gee, thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dood, I didn't know what else to say... A friend of mine is a cad draftsman and he does it at home instead of in an office. He just goes down there to collect his check and the next job order. He is also going to school on line for a degree. What about something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bro, I guess it was just the /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif that got me. I was in a really bad mood when I read that. I'm better now, well, till my day starts, that is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif