Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job Question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 22, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

If you worked in an office setting and made decent money, but the hours absolutely would ruin your life (not being able to spend time with the wife, kid, truck, etc... ) and you could instead learn to build engines for say 30% less money and have hours that you could deal with, would you switch jobs?

I work as a call center agent and sit at a computer for 9 hours a day. During the last 3 weeks, I have gained 10 lbs, I work 8-5 currently, but will soon be switching to 11-8pm. I make decent money for the area I live, though if I were on my own, I wouldn't be able to make the mortgage payment on my pay by itself.

I visited "The Engine Shop" today in my town, and the guy works alone but is thinking about hiring someone on to help. I've never been a mechanic, never took auto or shop class in school, but I'm natuarally mechanically inclined... which basically means if you put a tool in my hand, I can figure out what to do with it without much coaching. I told the guy I was looking for a new job where I can learn somehting new every day, and he builds race engines as well as your run of the mill 400+ hp 383s for daily drivers and muscle cars. He does no maintenance work, only building and rebuilding, and I really want to learn. I told the guy I'd take 30% less than I'm making currently, just for the ability to work close to home so I can get home in a jiffy if my kid gets sick or any other reason. I also can't think of anything I'd rather be doing right now other than being a gunsmith, but I don't have the money to start my own business right now.

How many of you would take the pay cut to build engines for a living, and perhaps later, once you are good enough, to get back up to what you USED to make because of your experience. This is a very serious question... the people I work with now have been at the company for 5-15 years depending on who you talk to, and they all seem to like their jobs... but they all look older than they are, and they are all clinically obese because they sit at a desk all day. I like the job, I know what I'm doing, and I'm good at it, but I don't know if I want to be stuck there for 5-15 years.

2. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I just dealt with something like this 3 months ago.

I worked for a large steel company, awesome pay and horrible hours ! I worked swing-shift (rotating schedules) forced overtime and bad atmosphere.

after 5 years I couldn't take it anymore, I am looking to start a family and my fiance agreed if I wasn't happy there, then I should just quit... after 3 hours of contemplating it, I walked out and never went back. yes, I threw 5 years down the drain by walking out, but If I didn't walk out, I was never going to leave.

I didn't work for 2 months and finally I found the job I am at now. I have great hours, constant monday-friday 9-5pm

Basically if you are unhappy the only person that can change that is yourself!

Let your family know your intentions and start preparing a change.

I wish you luck on whatever your choice is!

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Maybe you should have said 20% and worked from there.:crazy: I would do it, though. Money isn't everything you know, and if you'll still make enough to support your family then go for it. There's always opportunities for advancement in the automotive world. Goodl luck. :thumb:

4. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Well I won't suggest you take it or not take it. But this is what I did.

I was in a similar job situation. I ended up quitting, taking a part time student job with the state (huge pay cut), and going back to college full time. At this time I had a wife and a child. It was VERY tough for the first year. After the first year I was able to move up with the state and still attend college full time. By the time I was 2 months away from getting my degree I was making half again as much as I was before I quit and had just bought a house. By the 5 year mark from the time I took the plunge, I was making 3 times what I was.

Taking the chance worked out well for me and my family, but only you can determine if taking that chance is right for you and your family.

Good luck!!!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see now...

Do I have this right??--you want to leave a rather low effort,decent paying job,to work on car engines for 30% LESS??---I dont think I'd do that,and I love screwing around with motors and vehicles--but only when I feel like it,due to a bad back I cant do a full 40 hr week as a mechanic--if I could I have my choice of jobs here,plenty of places looking for auto mechanics...

But its a tough job,physically demanding and tools aren't cheap,YOU pay for them,not the shop--and your always grimy and greasy--your love life suffers when you get a bath of 90W gear oil,and wives hate you for your laundry!--I guess if it makes you happy,thats all that matters--like they say--If you love what you do for a living,it aint work...as long as its enough for you to live on and pay all your bills.....money aint everything,doesn't buy happiness--but it beats being poor too...in real life you somtimes have to take the lumps with the gravy,if you know what I mean...

I'd grab all the cash you can while you can--I worked 20 years,most I ever got was 8 bucks an hour--I never made more than 85 grand my whole life total!!--and at 46,I'm nearly broke,and I saved at least a whole weeks pay every month of those 20 years!-never made enough to get a house,new car--I wish I'd gotten a higher paying job when I was able to do it,rather than staying at the 8 dollar an hour job so long--the final insult is the higher paying jobs are often easier than the lower paying ones--more work==less pay..:mad:

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I dont see how You could be working 9 hrs a day! 8-5 with a half hr lunch break and two 15 min breaks is 8 hrs. I also really dont see how any of the hours You work new or old could ruin Your life. So quit eating the Twinkies and suck it up. I bet it would kill You to work a saturday wouldn't it:surepal:

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

There's much more to a job than the pay. In your situation, I would personally pick the engine job, so long as I could afford the pay cut.

Here's my personal experience.....

When I first moved here, I took the first job I was offered - selling cell phones on commission. It was HORRIBLE - late hours, on my feet all day, weekends, holidays, bouncing between 3 stores (including a kiosk in the mall), the constant stress of "Am I gonna make enough to pay my rent this month?". Not to mention, I HATED the work... rude customers, stupid customers, idiot managers, incosistant commissions (Some months $800, others $4,000+), the stress of handling 5 demanding customers at the same time, etc, etc. The stress caused me to develop IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and I was borderline depressed. But I made good money for the area.

After almost 2 years of that nightmare I found a job doing what I've done before, and what I like. I sit in front of a computer, 8-5, M-F, don't talk to any customers, and build ads for a newspaper all day. Much lower stress level, EXCELLENT fringe benefits (company lunches once a month, come-and-go-as-i-please freedom, excellent management, consistant pay, performance bonuses, profit sharing, etc). I was able to spend nights & weekends w/ my wife instead of at work. But the base pay averaged about 20% less. Our budget was already tighter than a fly's ass due to my wife being in college and our recent home purchase, but I decided to do it. After a year I'm making what I was before w/ raises & bonuses, my IBS virtually dissappeared within a week, and I've never been happier. Plus, I now have the time to get my business growing, and in the year I've been able to put time into it, I'm making almost what I'm making in my FT job in my sparetime doing websites and building computers - Thanks to that I may be able to become self employed within a year or 2, and our budget has some more room in it.

Thats' my experience with a situation similar to yours. I went for it and never looked back, and I've never been happier.

Good luck!

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Heh, actually, I am working saturdays... my 5 year old is in kendergarten half days, and gets out of school at 11:45, I will soon be working 11-8pm, and he goes to bed at 8:30-9:00pm, therefore, I will not see my kid ever after I start working 11-8 except for the 2 days I am off, either saturday and sunday, or wednesday and sunday. I've done the callcenter thing before, and worked 3rd shift... in 6 months, I gained 40 pounds and got up to 260, and I worked out at work between calls. After I left that job, I lost all of those 40 pounds in under a month because I was doing hands on work (Home Depot.) I know I will fall into the same weight gain, which will indeed ruin my life, because here, I must wear a shirt and tie, and can't really get down on the floor and work out. There is also no shower here in case I ever decide to do a 5 mile bike ride or couple mile run during my lunch hour. Not that the shower is important for me, but it might be for the other people here who have to smell me.

By the way, I don't eat twinkies... I eat low fat, homemade food for lunch every day, don't go to eat fast food more than twice a month, and I'm all around, a healthy but stocky guy. Being in my position where I can go from making $11.00 an hour at a desk job with bad hours to $8.00 or a little more to train on building engines and very flexible hours, what would you do? When I told my boss I needed to be off at 5pm on Mondays and Wednesdays so I could go swimming with my kid (I do laps, he plays in the shallow end,) she said, no, you'll be working till 8pm every night. When I was hired, she told me this company is family oriented and flexible with hours...

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll boil it down for you...... really living life is about having "passion"

It sounds like you have a passion for your family life, and you want more balance between your job and spending time with them. Fair enough.

It also sounds like you have the passion to work in an engine shop and feeling more useful, with potential future payoffs (financially) if you put in your time now. The desk job sounds like it's meeting your financial needs, but not really "feeding your soul"...if you know what I mean?

If you can swing it financially, and your family agrees that it's the best overall solution for the work/life balance, I'd say go for that machine shop job!!!

I know what it's like to take pay cuts to chase something I felt strongly about....I went from a very secure Managment job (with huge $$$) to a dot-com startup back in 2000, not as much $$$ but the technology was something I felt strongly about, and the potential payoff was there..... Sometimes you have to do what's in your heart....

You're situation is somewhat different from mine, since you also have a family to consider and take care of. But as I said, if they understand and support your reasons for wanting to change jobs....I'd say it's time to "jump ship", learn something new and really enjoy your work!!!

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Without question for me, family is most important. I had a very well paying job for the area we were in but it was making me and the family miserable. Don't ever stay in a job where you are told you are stupid all the time. I was out of work over the Christmas holidays but we made it. If you can afford the cut then do it. Besides, again for me, building hot rods would be a helluva lot more fun than settin at a computer all day long.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I just recently left a low-paying fulltime job I wasn't fond of, in an industry that sucked. Took a 50% paycut to work part-time and go back to school fulltime for a year, so I can get back into the industry I love (aviation). It's gonna be a tight year, but my wife and I know that this sacrifice will pay off with better $$$ and my happiness down the road.