Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job search continues...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well I dropped off my resume and coverletter on Tuesday and I got a call today (well a message on the answer machine) for an interview. It's on friday at lunch. I think it is because of the changes Kim Can made to it:eek1::bow: Thanks Paul and Kim

It is at Food 'n' Stuff Esso (gas station and snack food store). I found the job by a message on my schools website.

NOW here is my question...
    What do I do for the interview? I am going to dress nice, and bring an extra copy of my coverletter and resume. I will also bring a notepad just in case I need to right something down. This is my first interview.
    Does anyone have any tips? I am really nervous, especially since I have a large exam right after the interview for Biology.

Thanks in advance.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, i've never carried ANYTHING to a job interview. they've contacted you, so you know they've got your info. just go with it, and be yourself.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm about to be in the same position as you- interviewing for a job. Some things to remember: eye contact, enthusiasm, focus on work ethic, know your faults and SELL YOURSELF! In my last job, I interviewed probably 200 people- some great and some that were simple unbelievable. Best interview ever- A kid named Gavin. He was a flip flop wearing squatter type. I asked him why he left his last job at a Portland steel mill. "Dude, I caught on fire WAY too much!" I asked another guy how he would describe himself... Best ghetto accent, "Shoot, i'm ambunxious":haha: :haha: Good luck bud!

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

One word...........Confidence.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shave, brush your teeth, don't make bad or off color jokes, be confident but not cocky. Speak Engrish. Think before you speak. Just the general stuff people tell you every day. You would be stunned at some of the people that I have interviewed....

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

questions, think up some questions before you go into the interview. They like to hear you take interest in the place and business. I'm not saying ask "when would I get benefits?"(ok maybe not that job), or "what will I be paid?", rather stuff like "how many gallons of gas do you sell a day?", "how many customers do you deal with on average?". Things related to the business and job but don't make them about yourself. My mom is a Human Resources Director, she always says, "don't make it like you have the job or personalize the interview, it comes off too cocky and forward".

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

x2

Or walk in with a bandanna just over your eyelids, backwards cap, pants hanging off your thighs, and say, "I need da job biatch".

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sled_dog had a good point that I forgot to mention. Research the company or the business. Know more about them than just what they sell or do. I had a kid interview with me one time and i asked him why he wanted to work here. He started talking about the importance of the companys core values, his desire to make a difference in the community, creating a family environment in the store for his customers, etc. I offered him a job on the spot.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kissing ass works but being honest can work too, I recently got an internship because I fed him the standard b.s. "I care" line, and then I looked him square in the eye and said, honestly, the first time I looked at a diagram of an SBC and figured out how it worked, it was the neatest feeling ever...that's the day I decided that engineering was for me.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Dude act stupid. I am not kidding. You are not interviewing for a career with nasa, it is a gas station. I have applied at alot of low end jobs (fast food joints, auto parts stores, etc.) and acting like a normal middle class white kid will NEVER get you hired. Cynical? Yes. I have come to the conclusion the only way to get a job without having prior experience is a "hookup." I got my first job in highschool because I knew the owner of the store and a friend hooked me up with the job I have now.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Tomorrow is apprroaching. I will just act myself and try not to be nervous. If he doesn't like me, I will look elsewhere.

Thanks guys.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You'll do fine, post up afterwards.

13. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

be yourself. Best advice anyone can give. Unless you are a stuck up snot nosed dink. then be someone else. :haha:

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Be On Time!

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If you're not 15 minutes early, you're late.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Meh it went okay...
    I showed up 15 minutes early, but didn't go in until 10 minute early. Funny thing, the guy I talked with (owner) has the same name as me. He came from S. Korea so his speaking and english isn't too good, unfortunately. So I had a hard time understanding him. Talked for a tad over 10 minutes then left. he's calling in 3 days from now, says he's busy right now. I could only work weekend shifts, the day shifts are 4-12, so I would be up late and have zero time to do homework. Weekend shifts are probably 8 hours too.

I think I did well. Didn't stutter, answered in complete sentences. The only thing is his speaking was hard to undderstand so I had to pick and think what he partially said.

So...

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Good job Stevo, even if you don't get this one your ready for the next. Congrats on your 1st interview.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks James. I will let you guys know how it goes once he contacts me.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and if he doesnt contact you, which is common after a "i'll call you in 3 days" type response, CALL HIM! i've worked my way into jobs like that before. literally called twice a week for 3 months trying to get into the company i work for now. i think they finally got tired of hearing from me, so they hired me so i'd quit calling or stopping by. :D

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Meh, I never got a call back.
    I don't think I would have enjoyed the job anyways. I would be the janitor on weekends pretty much... And the manager/owner was hard to understand.

The search, once again, continues!