Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

job situation....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by supersize75k5, Jan 6, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I had an interesting offer today from my dad, he is the superintendent for a large contstuction company here in AZ, just dont know about it though or if it really is a good idea?

I currently run a small commercial cleaning business, I love what I do and I am doing great for my age but I am lacking in the area of motivation, maybe I have just settled in a comfy spot? I want to get my life started ie..house, and maybe be a better bachler..get married in a few years ect.. I would still run my cleaning business though.

I would be a punch man for them, 40 hours a week and 10 hours overtime, starting 10.00 -12.00 per hour, about 45 min to 1 hour commute each way. I would not be on the same job site as him, just in the same company.

pro's..

health insurance
    benifits
    helps me get a house quicker
    steady

-cons's
    -long drive "I have history of falling asleep at the wheel"
    -everything I drive has a big block...I would have to get a beater for MPG
    -Big work load, and since I will continue cleaning I doubt I would go to school
    -working for the same company as my father "actions reflect on him"

I just dont know, the drive scares me a bit, I have woke up to hitting a median while driving tired in the past, scary stuff. On the other hand I feel that I am not getting anywhere any time soon. I have decided not to start any more projects after the current roadster project is done. I am ready to get my life started and quit revoolving around cars. Currently I work about 4 am till 8:30 am, then I have the whole day to wrench, relax or play.I am fine money wise, but I need to make more if I want to own a home and still have toys I like.

big changes though..what do you guys think?

-shawn

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you're really serious about a change of "scenery", I wouldn't jump on the first thing that comes around. You might try looking at some other job opportunities without the commute.

I've found that going to school can help find direction. I'm part of a family business, and I've been taking evening classes in business for the last 2 years. What it's done for me is to really get me motivated about my business. I just finished Advertising, and it was a lot of fun coming up with a whole new advertising campaign for the business that was also my final for the class. Like killing 2 birds with one stone.

After every semester I'm that much more motivated about our business. Plus I get a lot of new ideas and new perspectives from my classmates.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Whichever job allows you to go to school part time or full time and keep adding to your education. Knowledge is something that can never be taken away from you. I'd put school first if you can.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Maybe someone doing the cleaning gig for you will help out so you can get used to getting good nights sleep everyday :thinking:

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think I'd work the cleaning biz a bit harder, hire a couple of people and work a few more hours yourself. That would get you farther than punching a clock for someone else.

Rene

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Stay where you are...don't complicate things.

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Find out what would be expected of you at the new job and look into it. Just find out what you can before you turn it down. Think about what you want to do. Some people say you can always change jobs later but after kids and wife find that harder to do. I don't like to drive far and that is worth a few dollars an hour to me. Could drive an hour for 21 but 12 miles and getting 18. But after 15 years working on broke machines i don't feel i know how to do much else and it is hard to leave the health insurance.

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt be driving 45 minutes for 10-12 bucks an hour. thats just horse ****. dont settle for anything under 20.

you can find other jobs for that kind of pay closer im sure.

expand your own business. bring on more clientel and then hire more workers. the only way to make money is to be your own boss!!

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

If you don't take it - can I have it? I'd need twice what he's offering though. Oh wait - I HAVE a job - a quarter mile from the Gulf of Mexico!

I know some people that would trip over each other for an offer like that.

No brainer! :screwy:

10. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i know someone that is willing to work for him:grin:. as for supersize sleeping at night good luck that kid sleeps from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. i think that he does not want to give up working nights. but if was me i would of been workin 2 days ago....

11. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I would have to say ..what is up with you staying up ??? Get to the bottom of it !!! I would hate to work for my dad ,how ia your relation with your dad ???... ,but if it would lead to a better future later ...go for it ...
    Hiring more people to do the work isnt the answer ...Having so much business so you can turn it down is the answer .... That way you can raise your prices ...[per hour ] ....
    Find out what your future boss in construction is getting per hour ...build from that ..You should allready know what yor type of busniess is worth ..
    what do you see in you your future ?????
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You heard it all first on CK5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

12. supersize75k5

look at that crap, damn david cant a guy sleep while he is sick............hmm what time do you get up every day..:ignore:..... .:haha:

anyways...people

I have a great relationship with my dad right now, the main reason I am considering this is simply to get my life jump started. This would be the ticket to me saving for a house. I have no interest in having anyone work for me anytime soon, right now the cost to have a legit emplyee would take away from the benifit of it. So I will just keep at that.

right now my list of bills is pretty low, I just need to save to get what I am wanting. Hard work, long days and grief seem to be the only way it will happen anytime soon though.

on a side note, my dad, grandfather and others I know have done well for them selves and worked their way up in constuction, but that is not what I want for a career. Nothing wrong with good ole hard work, I just have bigger plans.

as for school, I have tried and failed 3 different times at college, I am at a point where I want to see some accomplishments when I think about what I have done with my life...school is not getting on that list in any hurry though. I will take one class at a time if I have to, but it will get done. So I think getting a home may help me jump start my life some. Once I have it I can focus on getting my business to grow and start taking some classes for my business degree.

I had a long talk with my mom at dinner tonight, seems I just need to make the decison, and make the commitment to stick to my plan.

sounds easy?

this really is a big choice to make though, this changes every thing for me:crazy:

thanks guys for the thoughts, I will be thinking about this for a couple of days

-shawn

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  13. supersize75k5

well I talked to Bill this morning "the guy I would work for"

and it gets better,

its 12.00 per hour

40 hours a week
    10 hours over time

-health
    -dental
    -2 payed weeks vacation "I think he said payed" not shure
    -some sick days

3 month and 6 month performance review to earn a raise.

the drive is about 35-45 minutes from where I am at, the next project that starts in 7 months will be about 20 minutes away.

sounds better already:thinking:

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Dont ever work for someone else, start really working your cleaning business.......WAY more potential being self employed :waytogo:

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Stay with your own business. There is so much more earning potential there.

AFA falling asleep at the wheel....look what happened to a buddy of mine a couple days ago.....bad sh*t man....really bad sh*t...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125335