Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job Update, ha.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 2, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I talked to mom before I left and wrote a letter of resignation. Made it for 2 weeks notice. She noticed in my employee handbook(and in general) that unless I give the proper notice I am not entitled to my vacation and sick pay. So I said, eh for that much I can do 2 more weeks. Gave them the notice, they accepted it with no arguments. I finished the torque converter job I was doing, and road tested it. Came back and went to pull in another vehicle, and the manager called me into the office. He asked me if I could go to work for my Dad right away? I said of course. So he let me go right then and there. :haha: He saved me the 2 weeks. I however need to make sure to ask when I go pick up my stuff tomorrow, "when can I expect the check with my sick leave and vacation pay in it?" I already informed him I want a written receipt for my dealer plate and emissions drawer key.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know in Oregon they have to if you give a two weeks notice. My last job let me go on the morning before i was gonna give my notice and they still gave me mine.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my mom said unless they fire me for some extreme reason(like I go to jail or something) then I am entitled to it. She does hiring and firing at her company so I believe her.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a new beginning for you.

5. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Actually in Oregon you can be canned on the spot with no notice or reason. HOWEVER, if you give you two weeks notice and they just kick you out in spite they are responsible for paying you the two weeks.

Not that I have fired THAT many people...:doah:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ny state employment board member told me even if you give the notice time stated in a hand book from company that if thay let you go then you get squat. and not even the comision you earned.

be carfull these days lots of companys are using payroll / temp companys for all there needs and stuff. so if some day thay dont want you thay say go ask the payroll / temp place for a job. no need for unimployment and or 2week notice crap. realy kind of sucks for the little guy like us.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm well, my mom said to just do like I planned. Ask when I am getting the check, if they laugh at that or anything, just say "I'm pretty certain thats not legal" and leave. She would take it from there.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you gave 2-weeks written notice and they want to let you go early, they still have to pay you as if you worked until the last day..... vacation time is "earned" time so you get that too. If your "sick time" is rolled up into a PTO (paid time off) number you can expect to get that also....

I can't tell you number of times I've been "walked" after giving 2-weeks notice.....When you go to a competitor, they don't really want you around for those 2 weeks anyway, so they are happy to just pay you for it and send you off. Kind of like "double-dipping" since I was getting paid from both employers at the same time!!!! :deal:

:usaflag:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well being flat rate I won't get pay for the time I won't be there. However I talked to the head of payroll before I left today, she said I am entitled to the Vacation pay and should be expecting it, and she believes I should get the one sick day I have left as well. She hadn't even been informed I was leaving, haha.

Picked up my box and all the other stuff I had sitting around today. Said my goodbyes and spoke to the Matco guy, who is the person I owe the most to. Worked out well to do this all today since I killed 3 birds with one stone. Waiting for Dad to come home so I can unload my tools then I can do some work out of our garage for a little while. Hopefully I will make a few bucks in the next week or two, besides working for Dad.