Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so..someone give me some advice on a good paying job that i wont HATE...right now i work as an automotive technician apprentice at a ford dealer..and they pay me 8.50/hr...kind of hard to do anything on 250/week...they wont make me flat-rate (pay by the job, not the hour) for another year after they send me to school...so im ready to quit...but all i have is a high school diploma and vocational training as a mechanic.. id prefer to work inside..this heat is killing me...any ideas would be appreciated.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How old are you, brother? You do realize that young people have to put their time in before they get the big money jobs, right?

I'm not trying to hack on you, but I hear the same kind of thing from some of the young kids around here too. They think that they should be able to walk into a well-paying job with little or no training. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way. Work hard, develop your skills, and the money will start coming. It's that easy.

3. Confedneck

i do realize that young people do not simply walk into well-paying jobs...but ive been there almost 2 years with almost NO advancement..its kind of sad..other guys i work with were there 2 years and on flat-rate pay after a year or less..maybe because they were older..but they started where i did..im willing to be trained, and very open to most any type of employment, other than joining the military or going to college..
    i work my ass off for that place..no doubt about it..and like some of the techs say, "they make all their money off of him because they pay him a third of what they pay us to do the same thing" and the same things are expected of me and are gotten from me..almost always early in to work, called in sick twice since ive been there..so i have a good work ethic..

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, it sounds like you have 2 choices:

A: Suck it up and hope that they start to appreciate your efforts and pay you accordingly

or

B: Tell them that unless they are willing to give you a raise and speed up your training you will be seeking other employment. Don't be rude, but let them know that you're serious about advancing within the company and that you are looking for more responsiblity and money.

If you don't like heat, you should come up here. Within a month it will be -20'..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am not working like you but trying to figure out what I can do with my life right now. All I have is a High School Diploma and nothing else. I am considering taking classes on welding. I enjoy doing that though I'm not the best at it. Classes and all hopefully I can get good. I want to open my own 4x4 shop someday, building rigs and selling parts so welding will be helpful.

6. Confedneck

dont particularly mind the heat and all since im a florida cracker...just would rather work inside lol

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so..someone give me some advice on a good paying job that i wont HATE...right now i work as an automotive technician apprentice at a ford dealer..and they pay me 8.50/hr...kind of hard to do anything on 250/week...they wont make me flat-rate (pay by the job, not the hour) for another year after they send me to school...so im ready to quit...but all i have is a high school diploma and vocational training as a mechanic.. id prefer to work inside..this heat is killing me...any ideas would be appreciated.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I drove a big truck for awhile, easy work and decent pay for no more then you do. It's pretty much up to what you want to do. It might be hard to get into those big paycheck jobs without going to collage. That piece of paper hanging on the wall can make all the difference.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Paul's right... I hope... Otherwise the next 4 years of my life are gonna be a waste /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But yeah... I'd try to stay with the company but tell em you need more money and training or ya gotta go... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif