Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PeteH, Oct 12, 2006.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

well i work at a bookstore right now..it sucks.. they never schedule me and pay is poor..

1. i just got an oppurtunity to work for swayaway..
    2. but i also have an oppurt. to work for my neighbor (construction).

i just dont know which to take.

1.pros
    discounts, machining, probably $11-13 range(not sure really),
    cons
    longish drive/traffic money still wont be that much with other expenses
    can work overtime(but i will never have the time)

2.pros
    i dont have to drive to work.(he lives next door and drives me to the sites with him)
    he feeds me occasionally
    $10
    no tax
    days are usually carefree and pretty fun
    get to meet some hot rich soccermoms:wink1:

cons
    sometimes unorginized, no machinging/shop experience/ no discounts(well except construction stuff which is cool too)

i can work for swy a lot ~40hrs but then i get taxed and gas money etc.. or i can make the same amount and work around 30hrs at construction.

I really like that i'll get experience and be in the industry(swayway is coming out with some pretty bitc8in things) but school at night its hard to have a job like that..id have to go to work in the morning then travel straight to school afterwards everyday.

swayaway doesnt pay well, but thats all they told me..they never actually gave me a figure.. i guess i should do that before i make my decision..but starting out machinist usually dont make that much...anybody know? even if it is 15 bucks i still dont think its gonna cover me for gas and expenses(time is an expense) i doubt i'll ever get 15 from them. but they keep saying they want me pretty badly. swayaway even called a guy i know(he knows the people there) and they asked him what they can do to get me to work there and that they want me.

errrggg what should i doooo!!!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Go to work for Sway Away, learn all you can and try to use it as a stepping stone for the future....................

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Figure out what you need at a minimum to be able to work there, add at least 20% and see if SAW will pay it.
    I still haven't figured out why they moved up there.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

sway-a-way all the way. do a good job and you will get more money. learn all you can from a shop like that. especially machining. its a trade that can pay well in a good shop. if you have no experience you wont get 15 bucks an hour though. I started at nine bucks an hour out of machine trade school.

it took me 5 years to double my hourly to 18 bucks. I just worked a ton of overtime over the years to earn extra money. then through the next 5 to 7 years I went from 18 to 23.25. for about the last 2 to 3 I made over 25.

the experience in machining has been priceless for the knowedge I have gained. now I have changed careers and am a dime from 29 an hour to start. the main reason they hired me is because there experience is that machinists make the best technicians in the industry for building spacecrafts/satalites. we know precision, and how to read complicated prints, and are very mechanically inclined.

show me a hourly construction worker who makes that kind of money and can apply it to there favorite hobby aswell. good luck with your decision.

5. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i assembled a 3 inch triple bypass today and a whole bunch of bump stops..it was pretty cool today ;)

6. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

So, you took the job with Sway A Way I take it? Good choice in my opinion. Like Bubba said, use is as a stepping stone, My Brother in Law started out making 9 bucks @ 18 and is now making 26 bucks @ 26 machining and can go to any shop in town because of his skills and reputation.

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

yupyuup i took the job, just testing the waters for a couple months(get discounted coilovers:D ) pay isnt that great but it'll do.
    my cousin is younger then me(i'm 21) and he makes 28 an hour.. but he just fiddles around with computers all day. he makes me jelous... he hasno hobbies.. and saves most of his money..as you can tell, he is smart:crazy:
    i wish i could make lotsa moolah...

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

What kind of dough are you bringing home?

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

good shoice with sway-a-way. education is priceless, every bit of experience you get makes you that much more valuable. when i fisrt started in this industry i was 16yrs old making $10/hr, now at only 22yrs old i should clear close to $50k this year. im not a machinist though, im a diesel mechanic. im actually looking at going to another shop here in town because the place i work is pissing me off more and more lately. im looking at making $25-29/hr there. so even though it may be hard at first here in a few years you'll be happy you did it.

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes: :blush: :whistle: :ignore:

11. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

well said:waytogo:

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

on the money. get some edumakashun. in whatever field it happens to be. machining or another trade or whatever. follow the money. I make $31/hr as a HD mechanic in the oilfeild..........OKOK it in funny colored Canukistainian money. but it does ok. I'm not even at top rate.