Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nerraw117, Apr 9, 2007.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

lets start a job thread. what does everyone do? you can put your salary roughly if you want but you dont have to. the reason i want to know all of this is i am 19. I am a diesel heavy truck tech and i get crap money and i have been asking myself is this what i want to do for the rest of my life? btw i get 11 an hour. I want to find a job that pays descent.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm a manager at a resteraunt. I make 8K a year. I am poor.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats pretty good for 19........

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

im in da navy aircrave eletronice tec
    makein 24k a year

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm a ditchdigger. I made around $70K last year.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

What else do you know how to do? What led you to decide to be a truck mechanic?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm a pimp. Women make money for me. Last year I cleared over $250K in this small podunk town of 3K population.

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

im mechanically inclined and i am very very electroniall inclined. i some certifications in computers. thought about that. or i dont know. i have just been worrying about it lately.

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Hell man, you're doin better than me. I'm working for an industrial controls contractor doing electrical work and makin between $10 and $12 an hour, depending on the job and where it is.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Need some help.......................................................

I'm a professional counselor. I really don't specialize in one field, my horizons are expanded to cover a variety of areas. Sometimes I will counsel juveniles who are unable to adhere to the rules laid down by their parents. Sometimes I counsel the parents for being too lenient with their offspring.

I also counsel druggies. This is one area that I prefer, because couseling druggies is so much fun.

Like some other members, I do hand out driving awards, but I prefer to keep it on the counseling level and stay away from handing out the awards. I usually use the excuse of driver's counseling to actually find out if the driver needs counseling in another area.

The one part about my job I really hate is having to counsel neighbors who play retard games with each other.

There are also areas that I also counsel in, like folks who think that they should possess someone else's property.

Counseling drunks can be fun, but the last time I had to do that, I ended up having to utilize electroshock therapy on the subject to get the guy to realize that his actions were totally uncalled for.

That's what I was doing for a few years. I still do it, but I've been moved to another department within my company and now my main priority is to research things that couldn't be solved by the other department for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, I get to sit down with real interesting folks and have long talks about stuff that they may need counseling on. Since my company is short handed though, I still have to go out and seek those out that need counseling.

I have good benefits though. I have a company car with all kinds of neat little gizmos like disco lights for the company parties out at the lake or when I have to get to a counseling session fast or when we find someone needing counseling and let them know that we need to talk. It is also equipped with a camera unit so we can record our counseling sessions which we use for future critiques and enhance and better our skills. I also have some other tools if verbal counseling doesn't work. I have this neat little electrical gizmo that lets a person know they need to listen to us. I also have this other gizmo that used to be the primary tool for letting those folks they need to listen to us, but I just keep it with me in case an unsocialable sort locks himself in his car and I need to rescue him from his self destructive ways. Last, but not least, I have this other gizmo that's for folks that display a serious disregard for their safety and our safety. The neat thing is the company pays for it and all the parts it takes to operate.

Lastly, sometimes, counseling is not required for some folks and I have this neat little public facility which I can take them for a given amount of time and they can socialize with other folks who did not need counseling. Those folks usually get counseled on the errors of their ways from people who are higher on the food chain than myself.

Did I cover it?????????????:p:

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I was a machinist for 15 + years, was at $25.16 hourly, worked lots of OT clearing about what cancan said, bout 70k last 2 years. I had somewhat of a change of career, now I can not talk about what I do and I make about 18% more. my machinist skill and background helps a great deal to do what I do, and ofcourse I still machine stuff at home.

not bad for a high school drop out huh :D. I did get my GED at age 26, not that that means much to me. I will be 40 soon. I am more proud of my machining skill, acomplishments, and certifications, and welding certifications. I came from blue collar and will allways be a proud blue collar worker that make things with my own two hands. not fond of most white collar snobs that dont have enough skill or mechanical knowledge to fix a damn thing, but yet think their better then everybody else.

learn a trade or preferably as many trades as your interested in. being a well rounded, skilled person will serve you well through out your life.

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Engineer. I like it. Pay is good.

13. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used to work at a small towing company based out of my hometown. I stopped doing that when I started school at Wyotech in West Sacramento, Ca. However, since I'm on my hiatus from school, I've been looking for a job so I can pay my bills and whatnot. I have a job interview with the local cable company on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

Scott

14. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

professional fire fighter for a major city. i make about 50k & only work about 110 days (24 hour shifts) a year.

part time gig as a heavy equipment/dump truck mechanic & a dozer operator when nothing is broke down. make another 20k there.

firefighting is a pretty cool gig, guys u work w/ become like family. i tried getting this job cause my father-in-law does it, & i was tired of him always being off, & i had to work. after i got the job there are so many better reasons i like it, but the schedule is what attracted me to begin with.

15. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

IT Disaster Recovery Manager, job goes from really interesting and challenging to super sucking at times...

Want to start my own company, doing the research now...

16. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'm a student at wyotech... I make negative 23,300 dollars a year

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fabricator/welder, current job title is "project manager". We build aircraft tooling mostly, and I run a crew of between 6-10 guys in the fab department. I make $32 an hour plus bonus's, bi-annual profit sharing and a steady diet of overtime. I should get within spitting distance of $90K this year.

On the flip side I spent many years building truck bodies, trailers and various other crap. Good stuff to build some skills and get yer feet wet, but those industry's just don't have the margin to pay guys top rate. Having a trade is great...finding the relevant employment that pays good can take a while.

I have felt that way in the past, but after working with a lot more of the white collar crowd and seeing their education at work...they do have my respect. My hat's off to those that spent a lot of years and a lot of money for their education. Yes, they do occasionally lose sight of the differences between theory and reality...but I also lose sight of reality now and then. :D

The whole blue collar chip on the shoulder thing gets old after a while. If i had it to do again I would have gone to school, it's a better bet than clawing your way upwards from nothing and having to prove your abilities at each and every job.

Rene

18. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Full-time student. Full-time volunteer. Part-time "deli guy"

Made about 20g's last year....will be less this year without a union job :(

19. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Rene, dont get me wrong, I know what you mean. its the "if I only knew then what I know now" situation. I should have stayed in school but school and I just did'nt get along. my teen years were rough along with drugs and drinking at a young age, man I was lucky to have made it to age 18 much less past it.

it sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder but not really so much anymore. it just comes out from time to time. my son hopefully will have it much better then I just simply cause he has 2 parents who love him dearly, and allways look out for his best intrest. I hope my son never has to work as hard as I have had to. if he is a corporate manager someday, cool, but he will have the skills he learned from me along the way. I hope he goes farther in life then I ever could....

...and I hope this young man asking for insight into what he might want out of a future does well too. god knows there enough young people throwing there life away these days, it would actually be cool to see kids make good choices and actually be sucessful once in a while.

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool, and well said.

Rene