Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

John Deere Motor Oil?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Sep 2, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Is this stuff ok to use in my 6.2l. We have a John Deere Tractor and always buy 5gallon buckets of John Deere's
    15w 40.

And my 6.2 is up for a change and i'm having trouble finding diesel motor oil at my local automotive stores.

So is this John Deere Motor oil okay to use?

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If it carries a CC/CD (or better) rating you should be fine.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like Dan said, any quality 15w40 is fine. Just try to avoid running a Fram filter. They are built very poorly.

On the subject of oil changes, I would recommend changing the oil and filter out more frequently than the service manual says. I've been changing the oil on my 83 every 2000 miles beacause I swear that after that my mileage decreases. I guess it doesn't help that I'm pretty anal when it comes to maintenance to begin with...... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Only use Shell Rotilla(sp) or Chevron Delo 400. Don't use anything else. These are the oils that your engine was designed for. With these oils, you can commonly go in excess of 7500 miles between oil changes.

5. Can Can

I don't want to start a fight, but how can you say that only those 2 oils are good enough for a 6.2? What about GM oils themselves? You'd think that a GM product would be good enough for a GM motor.....

Secondly, there are tons of quality oils out there. I would way rather use any quality oil and do more frequent changes than try to get 7500 miles out of a certain oil. IMHO, 7500 miles between changes is too much.

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

7500 miles on oil change is scary. It's the soot that gets past the rings and into the oil (notice how fast the oil turns black?) that is the danger. No matter what kind of oil it is, it will eventually get contaminated with soot. I try to stay under 3000 miles on an oil change.

If I understand it correctly, all diesel oils with a CH-4 rating are designed to work especially well in the GM diesels. These oils have specific additives that deal with the soot problem that plagues the GM diesels more than others.

Casey

8. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

My 6.2 has been run with texaco 15w40 since it was new. the truck has 280k+ miles on it. Since i've owned the truck i've used the Ursa Plus 15w40 which is CH-4 rated. It costs me around $26-27 for a 5gal container. I run a Wix filter on it, the previous owner used Fram. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. BlackDog714

Well Delo 400 is what GM uses for their diesels. And since Detroit Diesel designed the 6.2 for GM and Detroit ONLY recommends Rotilla or Delo 400, they might know what they are talking about. Just to back up what I am saying, try calling D.I.S. or Kennedy Diesel or Penisular Diesel and ask them what they recommend... OK, I'll just tell you, it's Delo 400. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. BlackDog714

"I would way rather use any quality oil and do more frequent changes than try to get 7500 miles out of a certain oil. IMHO, 7500 miles between changes is too much."

Delo 400 is the industry standard for the heavy truck community and is designed to have a 25,000 mile service life in heavy trucks. I dont think that 7,500 in a light duty application is going to be too bad.

Oh yeah, after checking the service manual in my fathers Cummins equip'd 98 Ram, it recommends a 7,500 mile oil change interval for non-dusty conditions. and 5,000 mile intervals for dusty conditions.

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The Cummins and other diesel engines aren't the same as the GM diesels. Again, GM diesels have bigger soot problems than the others.

Casey

12. BlackDog714

How do you figure that? No one has ever said anything about the 6.2/6.5 having any more or less of a soot problem than any other diesel. What I am saying when I recommend the Delo 400 is what PROFESSIONALS in the diesel industry and MASTERS of the 6.2/6.5 have told me.

13. Can Can

I can't comment on the soot deal because I don't know anyhting about it. However, seeing that Casey is a diesel mechanic I would assume that he knows what he's talking about. So far he has been a welcome addition to CK5 and has proved that he knows his stuff.

I have to take issue with your comments on oil, brother.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh yeah, after checking the service manual in my fathers Cummins equip'd 98 Ram, it recommends a 7,500 mile oil change interval for non-dusty conditions. and 5,000 mile intervals for dusty conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell does that have to do with a 6.2? DO you know how many litres of oil a Cummins takes? I believe it's 12 or 14. Since that motor has at least double the oil capacity of a 6.2, it seems reasonable to expect that you can go farther between changes. On that note, what does the owner's manual for a 6.2 say? I won't embarass you by telling you how far off the mark you are with your 7500 mile statement. DO you even own a 6.2? It sure doesn't sound like it.

I don't care who told you or where you heard that it's okay- you telling people that 7500 miles is an acceptable frequency for a 6.2 is irresponsible, especially with the amount of newbies on here. Why don't you go buy a 6.2 and start changing the oil every 7500 miles? I dare ya'........

14. BlackDog714

Well actually I do own a 6.2, thank you. My 6.2 holds 10 qts of oil with the filter. My fathers Cummins holds 11 with the filter. Doesnt sound like "double the capacity" to me. I am running a 6.2 with mostly marine parts. Before I had it rebuilt (due to an oil line coming off on the freeway) it had 190,000 miles on it. Please do't think that I am making these recomendations, ask the experts. Call D.I.S. or Kennedy Diesel or Penisular Diesel. Don't jump down my throat for offering info, brother.

15. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the kind words, canmorek5.

Just for the record, I'm not a professional diesel mechanic. I'm a professional RV technician. However, I do have several years' experience with GM diesels, having owned four 6.2L powered trucks, two of which I convered from gas to diesel. I have completely rebuilt a 6.2L from top to bottom once. I've done many repairs. I'm a member of www.thedieselpage.com. I've toured the AMGeneral plant where the 6.5L is currently in production. I've toured the Duramax engine plant in Moraine, Ohio. I've personally met John Kennedy, and the guys from Peninsular Diesel, Jamie and Benny Avant from the Diesel Depot, and several other facilities.

I am by no means an expert. I learn new things all the time. But GM diesels are a big part of my life! I love these engines! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I just wanted to let ya'll know my background.

Cheers!

Casey

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I wasn't aware that John Kennedy or any other GM diesel performance shop ever recommended a 7500 mile oil change.

Only with a full synthetic oil and a dual bypass filter setup does anybody recommend extended oil change intervals. Even in this case, no one recommends over 6000 miles. There is debate even on this issue. The recommendations from Dr. Lee Swanger and others at www.thedieselpage.com (where John Kennedy himself spends much time) is to change the oil on the 6.2L and 6.5L engines at 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

What kind of aftermarket oil pan are you running? The stock pan only holds 7 quarts with filter.

I'm the one that brought up the soot in the oil issue, and that's because the 6.2L/6.5L has a problem of depositing soot in the oil. The black soot left over from combustion gets past the rings and into the oil sump. That is why the oil turns black so fast. It's a fact that really only pertains to the GM diesels. Comparing a Cummins oil change chart to a GM diesel chart is like comparing apples to oranges.

The new Duramax diesel engine doesn't have this soot problem. Most guys notice the oil doesn't turn black at all between oil changes.

I don't want to sound like I'm jumping down your throat or anything, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that most people wouldn't wait to change their oil at 7500 miles.

Casey

17. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Anyway, getting back to the original topic, if the John Deere oil has a rating of CH-4, or the latest and greatest rating, CI-4, then it will be just fine to use.

Rotella T or Delo 400 (both in 15w-40) are the most favored, however.

Casey

18. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ya, it has the CH-4 rating. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Can Can

FYI, the factory oil capacity of a 6.2 is 6.5 litres, and apparently the Cummins holds 11. Sorry, I should have said "ALMOST double". ALso notice that I said "I believe" because I wasn't sure. So it looks like I was more right than wrong.

A little about myself - I've owned my 6.2 for 6 years. I am a heavy equipment operator who has been running a variety of diesel-powered machines for over 14 years, so diesel maintenance and repair have been a part of my life for a long time.

I have NEVER heard of a 7500 oil change interval for a 6.2 before. Am I to understand that for the entire time you've owned your truck you've been changing your oil every 7500 miles?

One last thing- I've been a contributing member of this site since about Day 2. You're not the first guy I've hammered on for providing CK5 folks with what I see as improper info, so don't take it personally. As far as I'm concerned, recommending that other diesel owners follow a maintenance program that includes 7500 mile oil changes is irresponsible.

Since you own a 6.2 yourself, please refer to your owner's manual for the proper oil change interval - see for yourself that GM recommends that you change your oil every 4000 MILES MAXIMUM.

20. René

René 1/2 ton status

I have the opinion of Casey. Modern oils all have a better quality as the 6.2 litres diesel necessarily would have. However a diesel engine contaminates the oil more and therefore is it necessarily this to be changed more frequently. 3000 mls is good interval. If someone like save money, then at the oil (perhaps from the supermarket).