Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

John Deere Power Wheels Upgrade- Need ideas!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pookster, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I recall seeing one of you guys with a souped up version of the power wheels-

In an effort to keep up with the "neighbors" who must have the lastest car/truck/suv/minivan/house/tv/computer/entertainment system/yada yada, so on and so forth....

One thing they CANT buy is a custom built truck. Or in this case, my friend's 4 year old son. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So we have his stock power wheels- I would like to find a few of the following:

1. upgrade his wheels and tires- He needs some bling and some mud terrains or something. Definately want to step it up from the stock 10" wheel to like a 15"
    2. More Power. Larger motor? thinking a Yellow top or a blue top optima to go a long with it. Is there any gears I can pickup somewhere? I could always go to the electrical motor shop and have them custom wind a motor but....

any ideas? tips? hints? I'll slap a Ck5 sticker on there too with the "built not bought" . /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cut up a go kart and put power wheels body on it. Get waivers signed first of course, before the first ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

lol. If I take that route, the power wheels will look much the same as the nascar monte carlo vs dealer monte carlo's...

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

this should be in the off topic forum so im going to move it there

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Should I have replied to it? I just like helping, or offering a laugh.
    Paul

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ended up tweaking one.

I took a golf cart motor and relays and put it in a "bigfoot" powerwheels. I then ended up putting a car battery in it because as soon as the relays kicked in she dropped to 4v with all the draw by the motor.

Then we ran into a heat problem. The giant coils used to reduce voltage kept melting the plastic. Ended up making a "skidplate" which was actually a giant heat sink.

With the new found power the wannabe transmission splattered. Ended up robbing gears out of a lawnmower transmission (the ones that were used in just about every 70s lawnmower) and a Kawasaki 3 wheeler transmission.

It now went ~14mph once it finally got traction according to the cops. Brakes were now the issue. Ended up jerry-rigging rear disc using a Yamaha Blaster rear caliper and a disc off a KX80. The plastic wheels neither allowed the thing to take off fast or stop fast.

Tires were now the issue. His oldest kid slid into the wife's Alero once he even tried throwing it in reverse with the stupid pedal down to slow it down. We tried sticking some lawnmower tires on it. It kept flipping over backwards if you leaned too far back on it. We put the plastic tires back on (now bald) and stretched a cut innertube over it for traction on asphalt. He broke a few tires due to all the torque.

I went away to college and the guy that had it for his kids was building a frame for it and moving a 16v race car battery out front to look like a winch. He bought Hoosier (go-kart?) tires and grooved them. I remembered we were going to run Riken radials but they looked kind of retarded. I don't know what ever happened to it but his kids were pretty level-headed so I don't think any of them ever got hurt. But the neighbors were scared when the kids would fly past a garden tractor like it was standing still.