Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

joined the club!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by darkshadow, Nov 23, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i finaly got around to it, and pick my self up a cb, got a Uniden pc78ltw, it nice, back lit diles, 7 ch weather and the emergancey brodcast will come on even if it is off, oh and a pa too :pimp: that is going to piss some folx off :D

oh and i got a 102" whip, and the radio was 75$ off as it was remanufactored!!

i am happy, going to put it in this weekend, and now that i have it i will build and over head console for my stero and this!:wink1:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to your new distraction. I love my CB on the trail and on the road if there is traffic or I need directions.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Radios can be alot of fun depending on where you live. Up here, there's not a whole heck of alot of people BSing on the radio, but back in Omaha, there's lots of people out every night. The radio can be a good way too meet people. I've really enjoyed my radio equipment over the years. On the trails they can be a valuable tool. Great for spotting, and just staying in contact, but I'm sure you already knew that.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Now, make the big step and get a ham license. Nothing like talking cross-country on HF while driving down the road ;)

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i dident even know they made porable hams, right now i am good with this it is a bit of a frivalous buy i might want to go ham in the years to come, a buddy of mine says a group of guy talk monday nights up here, and talk about modifying radios.

what mods if any could/should I do?

also going to get an el cheapo hand held, ( or at least wait for a good one on sale) to keep in the glove box, so i can lend it to some one driveing with me of when i go in the woods, and need to talk to my truck, or spotting i haddent though of that!

6. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Amen Brother....

Get your ticket!!!!
    Just got my first renewal......10 years of "official" ham use.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok guys help me on this one, i got a steel 102"whip to take the abusse of being on my front bumper, insted of a black fiber glass one, can I spray paint the anntena with out causeing interferance or limiting my range?

8. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

As long as....

you don't use a fancy "coating", any paint should work.... remember to rough it up a little and degrease it thoroughly....epoxy works great...
    BTW Radio Shack a 102 fiberglass antenna too...

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just clean it up with some steel wool. No need too paint it.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i got it at a cb shop neer a job i was doing, in a heavy trucking area, talked with the guy and he said that fiber wouldent take as much abuse as the stainless one and since i was doing a front mount i should go with steel.

radio shacks around here suck!

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well she is almost done, the cb is in and powered up, i welded a tab on the furthust to to the side os my front bumper, and then have another piece bolted to it that the antenna stud threads onto, and the two halfs are bolted to geather with washers so when i go trail rideing, i can losen it up slightly and it it takes a hard hit, the mount will swivel back and the antenna will rest on my passenger mirror, instead of braking off.

i still have to solder the coaxle to the fitting for the anntena, but it is fridged cold and dark so it will have to wait.

it is sitting on my dash , but soon i will build a overhead console of sort to hold my fm radio up front, angeld down, then behind that my cb, this way all my electronics are up high and out of the water should i dunk.

Ill get pic of the mount in the light and hopefully ill be able to pullthem off the cam (usb cable id fubared)

dave