Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Joining the Military

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoReGrEtS, Sep 8, 2006.

1. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Well I have been tossing the idea around for a while.
    I just dont know what is the better branch to look into?
    which has the better pay?
    what is your guys input?
    Im still not 100% sure I want to but Im starting to look into it.

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

figure out what you want to do, then visit the recruiters and find out which "package" is best for you and got from there.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we all get payed the same
    how quick you make it to your higher pay grades is different
    I have been told the navy advances the fastest
    as for what service
    if you want to carry a weapon, and play soldier, army
    If you want to be a marksman, and receive the best solider training, be a marine
    If you want to see the world from the inside of a hot, POS boat, but never really get shot at, join the navy
    if you want to travel in style, play with all the newest gadgets, and live on the nicest bases, join the air force

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Navy of course....

J/k, it all depends on what you want out of it. If you have any specific questions, drop me a PM and I can call you and answer them all.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Biggest regret I have in my life is not going into the reserve. Give it a shot and if it isn't for you, it isn't forever.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  6. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

i WAS going to be in the marines,,, until some dumb**** Broke my neck... then i was scrued... but yeah, i would go marines.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

AFAIK the Air Force used to be the hardest to make rank in (before the "great staff giveaway").

I'm 2A553B - Integrated Avionics, Insturments and Flight Controls Systems Journeyman.

In a nutshell, I work avionics on "heavies" and helo's.

I wouldn't trade the experience I've had for anything, and would do it again. I was working on a jet the other day and we had a huge sandstorm blow through. I had to run around the whole flightline closing up jets (wheel well doors, flaps, hatches, windows, etc.) all the meanwhile it's 50 foot visibility and 40-50 knot winds. Don't forget the 1A SOAR (spec ops air refueling) alerts we get every now and then... when those jets go up you know ****'s hitting the fan somewhere. Show me something other than the military where you can see things like that and you might have something better to do.

8. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dont forget about the Coast Gaurd, those guys are always working (rescue swimmer or small boat dude)

Marines go on boats also, and it sucks.
    Navy, well its the Navy (ask any Marine that has been on the boat what they think of the Navy)
    Air Force- combat controller or PJ
    Army- easiest route if you want to be a helo pilot

Even though basic pay is the same, incentive pay varies. For instance, flight pay on the enlisted side is different through all branches. If you can, go in as an officer:haha: .

9. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you have a severe aversion to one branch of service, go see ALL of the recruiters, and find out what's best for you. Unfortunately, it means that you will have to resist some of the best trained salespeople in America, all selling a great product, in different packages.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Army combat arms MOS's are the easiest places to make rank these days. Another forum (one related to the MOS I was) posted the current E-5 and E-6 points the other day. I guess they are expecting a bunch of 22 year old E-6's in the near future and truth be told, when I was an E-4(P), I had easily enough points for E-6 as a 20 year old corporal. But then again, that brings on other problems.

Yes, I was in an MOS that currently has a high turnover.:D

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

You're 25 and looking at joining the military.
    While that is not late in the game ya gotta look at it this way.
    yer lookin at a 4 year hitch, no backin out and quiting if ya don't like the way it goes which means ya will be 29 if ya want out at that time.
    At that time ya have better have some good training that will carry over to the civilian world.
    You don't want to be 29 and lookin for work with no real world skills.
    I was 25 when I got out of the Navy and I was an airframer in F-14 squadrons, my first job when I got out was putting lockers together for schools and was paid a whopping $5 an hr.
    I could have gone on to get my A&P licence but that wasn't the way my life went at that time.
    Granted I am making OK $$ now ($45K) but it took along time to get to where I am at.
    Look at the big picture, try to get into something that will benifit ya later on. Or become a lifer, which isn't a bad way to go.
    If ya decide to stay in for a full 20 that will put ya at 55, sure you'll have a pension but that won't be enough to live on, ya need to have a skill to fall back on when get out. Either in 4 years or 20.

Joining the military can be very useful later in life if you take the time to think it all out and use it to your advantage.
    My 2 cents

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

all depends what you want to do. If you want to get in the **** and kill terrorists, go USMC 0311 or 0331... or Amy infantry guy. If you don't, I'd recommend going airforce. Their bases and crap tend to be better.

One time when I was in the grunts (marine 0311) we were doing some hostage rescue training in Guam. Every morning we got to eat at the airforce chow hall. Holy ****. This thing was 100,000,000,000,000 better than any Marine chow hall EVER. I was jaw dropping. Best part was, we were in line to get out made-to-order eggs and there was a sign apologizing to guests that they were out of 1 type of cheese (they had 2-3 others). lol! In the grunts they would say something more like "yeah, we're out, suck it the **** up!". lol!!!

There may be times when the airforce is super disciplined and everything, but I never really saw it. Sort of like civvies in uniform if you ask me. That said, its a great place to get good job skills... save $$$$... see the world... serve your country and all that good stuff.

j

13. jekbrown

oh yeah, I'm sure it depends on your MOS or whatever... but it always seemed to me that the Marines were the slowest to promote peeps. I met lots of guys from other branches, especially when I was in GTMO, and it was amazing how many guys I ran into that were 20-ish and already E5 and up. In the grunts, unless your dad was a general or your had your tongue up someone's ass, it took pretty much your whole first enlistment to get to be a E4... or maybe E5 with a little ass kissing. I always had high scores on PT, range etc. I even placed well on meritorious promotion boards (never ended up quite winning, but it was clear I wasn't a **** stain either) and was in super squad etc. Still didn't get E4 until the last year of my enlistment.

j

14. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

thats way I'm asking. I want all the goods and bads. I don't know what I want to do. I don't think I would like being stuck for 4 years if I hate it.
    ya I'm 25 almost 26 so that would put me at 30 when I get out then I would have to do job search all over again.I going to go talk to the recruiters check it out.I don't know I'm going to look into it though.

thanks for all the input:waytogo:

15. jekbrown

well, if you do go in, be smart. Ask each recruiter what kind of bonuses they are offering. I have heard the Army is offering a ton of cash for some MOSs these days. Take that money, invest it wisely... save as much $ as you possibly can while you're in. By the time you get out, you'll have enough $$$ to put a serious downpayment on a house. Hell, I saved over $7k without any bonuses or even really trying to save.

j

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Peacetime vs. wartime. What is the promotion rate for grunts in the Corps like these days????????

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you are looking to get into the military to get ahead in life get a REAL job that you can use on the outside.
    Killing ragheads is all cool, yep yer a hero.
    Don't get me wrong those guys are the ****, no fockin doubt about it but..
    This sh!t will pass as it always does.
    Get into a feild that will further you later in life, unless being a 55 year old whopper flopper is yer cup o tea.

18. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I joined the Army when I was 17, I switched over to the Nasty Guard when I was 22. I'm a 23 year old E6, which from what I can tell, is pretty rare. I joined to learn a language and hopefully fly, that didnt pan out at first but I did learn a language. My MOS is 97E20, Interrogator. I've seen a lot of cool places and done some very cool stuff. Jagged was talking about the SOAR guys a few posts ago, if you ever want to be one of the dudes on those birds, go Special Forces, PSYOP, or TACHUMINT. I'm TACHUMINT, and let me say, it is freaking cool.

The pay is good, it's a lot of work though, it's a total lifestyle change. I switched to guard because I had three deployments in as many years, my wife got pregnant, so I got out to be a family man. I regret it and I'm going back in in January to fly. The military was always good to me, the people you meet are awesome, and the stuff you see and do will blow your mind sometimes.

As far as being 25 and just now going in, I wouldnt worry about it. Ive known lots of guys who have started out in their 30s and are doing great. Just make sure you pick a job that will be usefull should you get out. Anything MI or Aviation will guarantee you a good job. Infantry or Tanker will leave you high and dry.

Good luck!

Al

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I heard the navy was full of semen...:p:

20. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Guess I'll chim in on this one. I joined when I was 20. When I talked to the recruiters, ALL but one of them wanted me to be some type of mechanic. I scored a 98 on the ASVAB test, mechanical being the best. ATT, I didn't want to be anything mechanical, and told them that, and none of them listend. I was real close to going in the Marines, but the @sshat recruiter WOULD NOT leave me alone. He made me late for work so many times. So I said screw that, not going in the MArines. My sister is still in, reserves actually, so I went down just to talk to them and see what they had to say. After they saw my score they said I could do anything but fly and be a Nuke. Nukes are on subs all the time, and study all the time, no way could I do the latter, sh!t, I couldn't study in school so what makes them think I could do it now?? When I joined I was an Electronic Warfare, and I can't even remember what that is. It was a 2-part school, and made it through the 1st part, but failed 2 tests, and wouldn't give me another chance at it. So bacically if I didn't find something else, would go to the fleet undesignated, something you DO NOT WANT TO DO!!! I found another school, Cryptologic Techinian Collection, a spy what some folks call it. It was a pretty cool job, had a Top Secret clearance, tell yah then have to kill you type thing. :) I went to Japan, Canade for tours, then the last being DC. Went to school in FLA and TX, got to go all over at those places. It wasn't really a bad gig, its all what you make of it. I will be 33 in a couple weeks, and my current situation is very good, I thought about going back in. But the military nowadays is very political, advancing is who you know, not what you know. I have a couple scenarios for this: There was a guy I knew when I was going to school on P-cola. This guy was in the Coast Guard reserves as a mechanic, he bacially was forced about because he couldn't make E-5, and was in for 10 years. High year tenor (sp?) Somehow he got to be a CTR (what I was) He went to Japan where I was, couldn't work the equipment to save his life. When planes are up, time is of the essence, and he couldn't figure it out. So anyway the guy was good a taking tests, so he got advanced. Taking a test in the Navy is how you get promoted. So because he was good at tests he got advanced just about everytime. Now he is an E-6 or God forbid and friggin Chief (E-7) and in charge of people. Now, if you have a problem or question about something, who do you go to?? Your boss, who is supposed to know all of that stuff. I'm surprised he knows how to breath. I guess what it comes down to is what kind of uniform you want to wear. We all do the same jobs for the most part, just slightly different missions. There are two many people in the Army, alot of their bases and facilities are old and outdated, the Marines are too headstrong, they think they are better than everyone esle in uniform. I dont mean to offend any Marines here, just the job that I did with them, they thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. The Navy wasn't bad I don't think, had good bases, equipment, etc. The Air Force got pampered, had the best of everything. I've been out now for almost 4 years. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't. I had a phrase for it, It's been real, it's been fun, but not real fun. Whatever branch you decide to go in, make sure you have EVERYTHING in writing, make sure you have a school, don't want to go undesignated, and make find out about any bonuses, packages, etc. And most of all, good luck.