Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Joining the Suburban Legend!!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Nov 8, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Me and the wife are trading in the Rice burnin SUV for a Suburban. Finally she is listening to me (Women!!) Anyways we are looking for a 97 and up what are some things we should look for in these models as good and bad. O yea and what does barn doors mean and whats the big deal with that? O yea were looking for the 4x4 model what kind of gas difference is there between the 2wheel and 4wheel. We get around 20-25 now with the Xterra will there be a big difference? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The models 96 and up are the better ones...strong trans, good axles for everyday use, 270 horse 5.7 V8 etc.
    Barn doors are the two rear doors on the back...they can decrease visibility out of the back (ever driven an Astro van?) Other than that, not too bad, but I prefer a tailgate. The upside to the barn doors is that you can still open the doors completely with a trailer. With a tailgate, you can only lower the window.
    Mileage difference is 1 to 2 MPG, but my buddy has a 98 Z71 Burb that can get 20 MPG on the highway. Expect about 15 to 17 in town and maybe 20 on the highway. The key is being light on the go pedal.
    Brakes are the only problem I hear people having. They eat brake pads for all three courses of the day. Suggestion? Learn to change the pads yourself (not hard at all) to save you a lot of cash and switch to drilled and vented rotors.
    They are great trucks, but also look at a Tahoe if you don't need the third seat. They get slightly better mileage and are more manueverable.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah 89GMC pretty much said it all. i prefer my barn doors it's up to you. but they are great trucks my g'pa has a 96 1/2 ton 4x4 sub and it's a great truck, they just drove from here in vegas up through canada through alaska and back without one SINGLE problem!! he put 10,250mi on it 2.5 months and never had anythink break or anything. i highly reccommend them.

4. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I bought the wife a 95 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 350 tbi. She loves it. Both of our subs have barn doors. I prefer the barn doors for loading and ease of opening. The tail gates usually have to be opened form inside the truck or form a remote. It is really hard to reach all the way in with the tail gate. It is also easy to climb into the back with the barn doors, you can still use the bumper as a step. I believe the 97s and up may have the split third seat option. It allows you to take the third seat out in two pieces. Easy for the wife. They are great trucks. Just go out and get the 3/4 ton version. You won't regret it. They come with larger brakes and lower gears for power and strength. Plus they usually have the tow package which has all the oil coolers and stuff to really prolong the life of the truck. Now my 1/2 ton is averaging about 12mpg around town and 16-17 on the highway. And that is with 373 gears on stock tires. These are heavy trucks and will suck the gas but the safety factor is worth the price.

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So now with the Tahoe its pretty much the same just no third seat. And the gas mileage is better. Whats the pro's and con's on this model.

6. 89GMCSuburban

Pros are it's lighter, same safety as burb, better mileage, more maneuverable.
    Cons are that you can't put as much stuff inside it as you can with a burb, and they aren't available in a 3/4 ton.
    To be honest, unless you are towing or hauling or rag the piss out of your vehicle, I would just stick with the 1/2 ton. The only difference when you get the 3/4 ton are larger brakes, wider track, and beefier axles. You also have the choice to upgrade to a 454 V8, but unless you tow, do not get that engine. Mileage is single digits.
    Sum it up, get a suburban if you haul a lot of stuff and need a seating capacity of 8.
    Get a tahoe if the max you haul is 5 people and haul a medium amount of stuff.
    Best advice? Test drive them both.

7. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I will agree on the later generation but I have an 85 and love it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifI have the 2500 so I am lucky to have the drive train. However the 5.7 is carborated. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif 88 and up are TBI! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifI recomend this. Carb's are boat anchors. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I like barn doors for access but the pillar in the rear view gets old. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifThe only good thing about a tailgate is the rear unobstructed vission /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like barn doors for access but the pillar in the rear view gets old. The only good thing about a tailgate is the rear unobstructed vission

[/ QUOTE ] WOW yall actually use your rear view mirrors? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif i just use the side mirrors i never use the rear view. i might as well not have it! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Thought it was 87 and up that had FI...

10. muddysub

it is 87 and up. 86 was the last year of the quadrajet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 89GMCSuburban

86 was also the only year to use a 1 piece rear seal with a carb and mechanical fuel pump...GM has to make a specific crate engine just for the 86 year!!

12. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

The solution to the rear view mirror thing is to just move it over about 6 inches. It changes the angles and you can see out just fine. Otherwise just get the long bar mirror from the 80's and mount that puppy up there. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif