Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jonesing for camping (Links of Black Hills in thread post with pic)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I can't wait for next spring/summer. I want to go camping up in the hills. I found a clearing with a mountin stream up in the Black Hills National Forest 12 miles off the nearest road. It's along an old forgotten mining trail, that's not on any maps !!!! Very sucluded area. The stream is so clear, you can see the Trout swimming. I watched a Eagle catching fish out of the stream last time I was there. There is a cliff along one side of the clearing with some old gold mines. The clearing is about the size of 2 and a half football fields, one side is the cliff going up a couple hundred feet, and the rest is surounded by forest. From the looks of the over growth on the old miner trail, nobody had been there in years. Seen alot of deer drinking from the stream when I was up there. There is the remains of a log cabin there. I'd love to rebuild it and use it for my ulitmate get away spot. It's on Black Hills Nation Forest land, so it's free camping. It's just the best camping spot I've ever found. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> So, does anyone else have a fav. camping spot ???? Lets hear about it.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Well, summer is gone, now I\'m jonesing. CAMPING

Nobody has a fav. camping spot they want to talk about ??????

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Dude, you are so right! We go up on Mt. Hood (11,000 ft. peak) to Timothy Lake (3500 ft elevation)............canoeing, hiking, biking, brewski's by the fire washing down crawfish dipped in butter ............ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Nobody has a fav. camping spot they want to talk about ??????

[/ QUOTE ]
    I used to go to these mountains all the time, but I divorced her so I really don't want to talk about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

ya man,

I used to, up in a place called cashes valley were only the old timers up in the mountains used to live off of what could be considered a forest service road...(out in the middle of north georgia mnts)..then a bunch of developers got in there and ruined the whole damn thing...oh well, now I'm in south GA and I'll surely find a new spot down here...glad to here that some spots in the country arean't ruined

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

What are the rules regarding camping in National Forests? Can you set up a tent anywhere along the side of the trail, or are you only allowed to camp in designated campsites?

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I always liked going up the Poudre Canyon in Colorado, there's some nice campgrounds on the river and if you go at the right times you MIGHT have to share with one or two other people...

I haven't gotten to go camping in about 6 years, but I go to the mountains whenever I have the time and gas money... There are some spots here in Wyoming I'd like to go to, but it's about an 8-10 hour drive one way...

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What are the rules regarding camping in National Forests? Can you set up a tent anywhere along the side of the trail, or are you only allowed to camp in designated campsites?

[/ QUOTE ] Up here in the Black Hills Nation Forest you can set up camp anywhere you want. They do have some rules about open fires and being so far from the water. You can contact ( http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/ ) and they will hook you up with all the information about thier rules for camping in the forest. They do have campgrounds, but I've always found a spot away from anyone else. Out in the forest, camping is free, at the campgrounds you gotta pay. I'll do the free camping every time !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I bought a recreational property about 3 hours away last summer. I spent my entire 3 weeks of vacation out there as well as every second weekend. We winterized the trailer in early October and haven't been out since. And the days are so short up here during the winter that it wouldn't be much fun for the kids anyway.

I totally understand what you're feeling. I've been wanting to make a day trip out there just to check things out. I can't wait for next April..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

me too, we go to a place called Naches, in the Wa National Forest. It is sweet, Called the powerline, and our pics are in my webshots below..

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Dood! I've been trying to figure out a place far away but not on the east coast where I could have a goal for a summer trip. This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for! Would you be willing to act as a guide for a week long trip up there next summer? I can make my own schedual so what ever time of the summer/spring is fine with me. If you can do it try to pick the best time for weather. I'd be traveling in my K5 with camping gear. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd be more then happy to be a guide for ya. Anytime of the summer is good. It does get hot, but that's just how it is. If you try for the beginning of AUG. you could be here for the Sturgis rally. That's alot of fun. Free concerts, pay concerts, all kinds of events, plus $hit loads of bikes and babes !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only bad thing about ralley time is that everything is packed, and prices are up. We got pleanty of wheeling here in the Black Hills. Got Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, Deadwood for gambling, ...ect. We've got a wild horse sanurary, wild life park, caves, gold mine tours,...ect. Everything you'd expect from a tourest trap. http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/go.asp?ID=161 , http://www.blackhills.com/ , http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/ , http://www.theblackhills.com/ , http://www.blackhillscaverns.com/ , http://www.blackhillsvacations.com/ , http://www.bh4wheelers.com/ .,. http://www.bearcountryusa.com/ , http://www.custerstatepark.info/custersp.htm , are just a few links to look at. Check it out too see if it's what you're looking for. [​IMG]

13. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh...camping. We used to call it that. We'd go up to our property in the summers...still close to civilization, so it wasnt roughing it. But over the years, "camping" (which was already too easy with the use of a 16' camp trailer) has turned into staying in a 21' Travel trailer with stove, oven, TV, VCR, Microwave, heaters, toaster oven, and George Foreman grille, attached to a shed with a concrete floor, lighting, a railed deck, and an "outdoor livingroom" with couches, coffee table, and makeshift entertainment center.

Our camping spot has become more of a "poor man's resort" (it is surrounded by junk parts cars and trucks, and a bunch of my projects). Not the ideal camping setting anymore. It's more of my second home. (I'm considering putting a computer in the back storage room of my trailer and having a phone line installed).

Someday, I'll actually go camping, for real.

I gotta go visit Mt. Rushmore again. Last time I was there, I was like 8.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] <font color="blue"> MT. RUSHMORE </font color>

15. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I like this place in the sierras just south of Yosemite out past shaver lake..Weishon res area(SP)
    or Cortright.... I know I just murdered those names but...
    Its every bit as pretty as yosemite without 1000 tourists takin pictures..

plus they have awsome weelin trails up there..

16. landsmasher

17. landsmasher

I don't want the "Tourist Trap Stuff". I want to go up to that place you described for a few days and anything else around there that is like it. Out in the tullies. Off the beaten trail... Away from "normal" human beings.

This sounds good. Would like it at a time of year when the weather is anything but too wet. Suprise thunderstorms in the mountains I can take but not a normally rainy season. Dry and I don't care about the temp. Hot is better than too cold.

I'll be in contact with you and maybe we can get a few others involved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and make a great party out of it? Sounds like a great place to GO! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hell yeah, would love to get a group thing going on. I'd be happy to contact a member of the Black Hills 4 Wheelers that knows all the trails. I've only beenn up here a year and a half , and don't know all the trails yet. I've explored a few, and I'd be happy to take everybody on, but for other trails, I'll refer to the local 4x4 club. Late June / early July won't be too rainy, any won't be too packed with tourest either. Feel free to PM me when you figure what is good for you as far as a time frame, and with more details on what your looking to do while here. I'd be happy to try to make everything as enjoyable as possible for everyone.

19. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Neat spot... That looks like a kick ass place to go in the spring... Nothing like high desert in the spring. Absolutely beautiful when all the flowers and sage bloom.
    I like the way NV runs there wilderness areas too.

I whish I had pictures of Cortright Res.. I never remember to bring a camera...

Im going to the cetral valley grasslands this next weekend... right after I go shooting with a bunch of other black rifle nuts..cant wait! Goin to bring the coyote calls /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. landsmasher

When I go on a trip I always buy one of those disposable cams along with the beer. Soon I'll be getting a digital cam and it will be part of my normal wheeling equipment. We're going back out to Truck Haven Hills this weekend if it does'nt rain too much. The place is a flash flood area ya know... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif