Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Judge: Fetuses don't count in HOV lanes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just in case anyone was wondering. People are stupid. Inventive, but basically stupid. I can see Bubba now - Ok mam, just squat and pee on this......:D

PHOENIX --Fetuses do not count as passengers when it comes to determining who may drive in the carpool lane, a judge ruled.

Candace Dickinson was fined $367 for improper use of a carpool lane, but contended the fetus inside her womb allowed her to use the lane. Motorists who use the lanes normally must carry at least one passenger during weekday rush hours.

Municipal Judge Dennis Freeman rejected Dickinson's argument Tuesday, applying a "common sense" definition in which an individual is someone who occupies a "separate and distinct" space in a vehicle.

"The law is meant to fill empty space in a vehicle," the judge said.
    Sgt. Dave Norton stopped Dickinson's car Nov. 8. When asked how many people were in the car, Dickinson said two, pointing to "her obvious pregnancy," the officer said.

Norton said Dickinson's theory "would require officers to carry guns, radios and pregnancy testers, and I don't think we want to go there."

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2006/01/11/judge_fetuses_dont_count_in_hov_lanes/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am so happy that flaky lady lost her case :thumb:

But its typical of the drivers out here , they all need to be where they are going in a hurry .

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

who knew :dunno:

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Abortion Argument In 3..... 2..... 1......

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Second that one Pauly she's a jackass!!!

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sure, I still call it life... but a separate living being isn't the soul reason for having a carpool lane. Otherwise, you could use the carpool lane with your pet bird or hamster... or a potted plant or a tree. But even any of those in a passenger seat would be closer to carpooling than simply being pregnant. :p:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Too bad the Judge can't slap the defendant.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Now if the kid was in the passenger seat with its seat belt on and the ambilical.... Ahhh nevermind...

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Just like slurping back spit.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

In Boston...

There are never any mannequins in the landfills around here..know why??--Its because they are all riding shotgun in the HOV lane!..:D

It's true!..during a "crackdown",about 25 drivers were pulled over,when police noticed the same "blank stare" ,and the same clothes on the "Passenger" for several days running!..A few turned out to be inflateable "love partners",complete with realistic "anatomy!"..:haha: ..one was hand carved out of wood,and when asked by the officer,the driver said "his name is Pinochio.--they said it even had a lit ciggarette in its mouth..:bow:
    ..they all got 50-100 dollar fines for "misuse" o the HOV lanes,plus anything else they could write them up for..:p:

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That was actually the interesting thing about the opinion to me. I think that the judge did a god job of sidestepping the issue of "2 people" which is the abortion/right to life/when does life begin argument.

It is rare for me to see an opinion that 1) uses common sense 2) is well supported in law and 3) denies the kooks on either side any satisfaction. This was certainly an opportunity for the judge to go nuts and declare that the fetus was/was not a "person".