Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Judge reduced my ticket, but I feel "incompleted"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A month and a half ago, because of my illegal decision to drive under a mile on a back county road, a 4-wheeler accident brought that out in the open causing me to get a $101 ticket. I went in for a "Mitigated Hearing" to get it reduced. From what I read, $60 was the most I could get the ticket reduced to.

I was prepared to tell the judge that I had just traded for the truck with expired tabs, and wasn't able to get to the Dept of Licensing before they closed Friday... and Sunday I drove under a mile on a gravel back county road with no intention of going onto any paved or traffic'd areas when a 4-wheeler hit me in my lane. The next day that the DOL was open I got tabs for the truck.

Before I could even say any of that, he said "Looks like you were involved in an accident... and you were cited for expired tabs. Do you have tabs on the vehicle now?"

I said "Yes" and handed him the registration. About the time I wanted to explain the circumstances, he handed me back the registration and said "I can reduce this down to $60 for you. Take the slip of paper from the clerk and proceed to the window down the hall". Kind of shocked at how quick that was, I said Thank You and did as he said and paid the 60 bucks.

I felt good that it was over with, but felt incomplete. I didn't even get to say the reasons why I was driving with expired tabs and for how short a distance, and that the accident wasn't my fault at all. So he and everyone in the court room probably thought I was some intentional reckless law breaker that happened to get caught.

I should feel good that its over, but I still feel kinda unfinished for some reason.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Put it in the past its done. After all it could have been ALOT worse. :crazy:

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's a sign that you're a good person

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could have been worse..BUT..

It would have been nice if the judge let the facts be known before making a hasty decision too..I hate our "justice" system lately..seems like they are making it easy for the crooks to get off--but let an honest citizen have an accident,and its "Pay the man on your way out--we don't care what really happenned--as long as the town profits from it"... :rolleyes: --around here parking tickets seem to be the newest form of revenue--very few can be "reduced" or "beaten" nowadays..

I can't stand watching those "Judge Judy" types on TV..I was at a friends house today,and he was watching it..I swear,if I ever had her for a judge,I'd be sent up for life--I'd want to smack the sarcastic beotch!..she never lets anyone finish a sentence,or have their say,and already has them convicted before she even hears half the facts....too bad its a true portrayal of a real courtroom.. :(

But Alan,I think you were very lucky,despite the judge blowing you off like that..any case with a personal injury can easily escalate into thousands of dollars--sometimes hundreds of thousands.. :eek1: ..you were wise to pay up,and get the F"""" outa there! --I hope the kid with the broken leg(or his parents) doesn't sue for damages..good luck ! :crazy:

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

dood, i feel you got it pretty easy. i wish they had been that leniate, when i got my 73 in a 55 ticket. it ended up costing me about 350 bones to get that on eti=o disappeara.

6. mountainexplorer

Well, according to what I understand, I paid the least I could have paid in the situation. So I feel fine about that. It wasn't even really related to the accident, except that the fact that it happened is what exposed the expired tabs on the truck to authorities.

I just felt bad I couldn't say what the circumstances are. I've never been in an accident before. I have two tickets though now spoiling my driving record. One for "moving an unsafe vehicle" since the DOT officer said my Suburban couldn't tow my trailer, and one reduced ticket now for expired tabs.

The guy who broke his leg was actually back home within two days of the accident and recovering fairly well.

My truck still retains it's damage. I have a fender, bumper and grille for it, but haven't taken time to replace it all yet.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The judge probably doesn't care that you were in an accident. Since the policeman didn't ticket you for a doing anything wrong, the ticket is the same as one you'd get in any other circumstance for not having current registration. It sounds to me like efficient justice - Although I am sorry that you didn't get a chance to tell your story.

Did the other guy get a ticket? I still think he owes you money for your truck.

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well you have a lot tied up in it the lose of time, truck dents and more but you did have some thing expired so he had to do something and he could tell you are not trying to get over so he redused it i think you got treated fair dont you ?

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If Washington is like most states, the expired reg won't count against your license. Only "moving violations" ie speeding, reckless driving, failure to yield.Apparently Wash. does not have a mandatory insurance law-be thankful for that, here that one is hundreds of bucks fine, and no way out of it. Bottom line, you were guilty of the charge, regardless of what precipitated that citation. I am not being harsh, just seeing the events as they occured.

10. mountainexplorer

Oh, I'm not complaining at all about the overall outcome. The judge was more than fair. I just feel like its still unfinished cause I didn't get to explain to him that it wasn't your typical blatant act of disrespect for all laws. I know that me explaining it wouldn't have reduced it a penny more; thats not what I feel bad about. I guess I'm just weird in the way I want someone to understand that if I do something wrong, I do realize it and didn't intend to be driving the truck around unregistered or unlicensed for more than I had.

Washington does have a mandantory insurance law. There were others in the court before me who got cited for that. I think minimum is a $450 fine. I had insurance that covered me on that truck at the time for liability which is all thats required in Wa. The guy on the 4-wheeler did not, and I am not going after him to pay for my damages.