Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Juggling titles....anyone got ideas...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Nov 22, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The deeper I get into it, the more feasible a 'Yota swap would be. My problem is this:

When I am done with this project I will have
    -a K5 body and frame with a good VIN and title going to scrap
    -a 'Yota with a Chevy drivetrain that probably won't have a title and might not have a VIN
    -a set of plates and tags that I paid $50 less than a year ago to get 'em renewed and transferred to my name
    -a new off road toy that pretty much needs a set of plates to play at the state run off road park up north

Any ideas on how in the hell I would register the 'yota? Just tell 'em it's a body swap and switch the plates over? Don't tell 'em anything and just swap the plates and forget about the VIN?

There are no inspections or smog here so they pretty much have to swallow what I tell them....however that doesn't mean I won't have this contraption when I move to a state that does have smog or inspections.

Anybody got any ideas?

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just register is as the toyota. what year is the k5s title and vin?

3. mikey_d05

K5's title is '89...not anywhere close to an exempt from all regs status.

...and you REALLY need to change that avatar

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I thought the title said "Juggling Titties."

I'm very disappointed.

5. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Apply for a salvage title. In MN if you paid less than $3000. or the vehicle is more than 20 years old the fee is a flat $35. for the tax. O mister junkyard man...........
    George

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: That's what I though it said...

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Perverts.

I thought the same thing. :D

8. mikey_d05

Put a salvage title on the 'yota? Would they allow it on a public street then?

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

So will you not be getting a title with the Yota? I would try and title as a Yota. You may get crap if you try and title it as a K5....

Salvage title just means you reconstructed it. Same/similar as an R title... You'd have to get it inspected by a local state inspection agency.. At least thats the way it is in OH and PA...

10. smalltruckbigcid

Yes. Buddy just sold his chev pu with a salvage title that he bought fom a dealer with a salvage title. It just has to be "roadsafe" and all safety equipment must function, lights,horn,wipers etc.
    George

11. mikey_d05

It depends, if I buy a running Toy it'll have a title. But the way it's looking it would be more economical to buy a cab and frame than buy a runner and sell off the parts I don't need or want. Most of them that I've seen around here do not have titles.

If a salvage title means inspections in MN, I think we'll forget about that one. Showing up with a toy on full widths, hydro steering and a small block probably wouldn't fly. Damn, if there was a way to just register this thing for off road only.

12. smalltruckbigcid

One other thing. That will kill resale value and insurable value. If you put full coverage on it they will only allow 50% of the cash value without an extra premium. PM me if you want.
    George

13. mikey_d05

Thanks to smalltruckbigcid I *think* I've got this one figured out. Lets just hope I get a friendly inspector when it comes time.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think in NY, a "salvage" title is not registerable, it's primarily so you can legally prove you own a parts vehicle, and the vehicle needs to be disaaembled.
    A "rebuilt" title needs to be thoroughly state inspected, way different than the annual window sticker inspections. They inspect for stolen parts, safety, and potentially hidden damage (like a dealer trying to pretty up the body to hide frame damage).
    But that's NY, MN is probably different. If you moved to NY, you'd probably have a few headaches with it.

I think it would probably be easiest for you if you go with whatever title is going to be the least complicated for a state inspection.

IE, build the vehicle, title it as the 89K5, register it, then take it to the inspection place and make sure it will pass emissions, safety, etc.

Just because it's a mix and match of parts doesn't mean it won't pass inspection. I dont beleive the inspections have a set of criteria specific to the vehicle (except for emissions standards, which are usually by year). Your state could be way different than mine, though, thats' just what I'd do in NY.

15. mikey_d05

Well, from my understanding of MN satutes and what George told me over the phone...when a salvage title is attached to a vehicle you have to have it inspected before it is deemed worthy of plates again. He said the inspection is very lenient. Seatbelts, wipers, horn, signals, stuff like that. The problem is it'll be on full width axles and have hydro steering. Soooo basically I'm gonna have to put the drivetrain together, get it running and use some semblance of a mechanical steering system, put it on my 235 shop roller tires, work out some sort of mud flaps, load it on a trailer, get it inpected, bring it home, and tear it apart.

I'm kinda hoping I can find a frame that through some act of god still has a normal title.