Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JULY 4th Weekend

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by denver75k5, Jun 13, 2003.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Its' a toss up,, we are thinking of doing either Holy Cross, or Wheeler lake (if open ) or 21 road,,, any suggestions? Camping is a must /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a LONG drive to 21 Road, and it's FREAKIN' HOT there in July. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not much in the way of scenic camping around there either. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Scenery is awesome around Holy Cross, but the campgrounds around there typically fill up early around holidays. I've never been all the way up the Wheeler Lake trail, so I don't know too much about that trip.

3. denver75k5

Ya, Ive been to Holy cross before, not 21 road or wheeler lake , We are just looking for something kinda fun but not extreeme like indy (ill save that till I get my doulbler),

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What about camping ay Hancock & either doing Tin Cup or Grizzly? Should be okay. If you like to fish/camp & do some wheeling, you could South to Clear creek (You go by it to the others anyway) and then explore the trails west of it. Nice lake and plenty of room to camp. ANyway, just a few thoughts.

I'm actually bummed as my my has to work on Sat and the 7th is my anniversary. I was looking forward to going somewhere for it, but I guess we'll just do Cripple Creek Sat evening or something.

Mark
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

Tin Cup and Grizzly are too mild for TJ. He prefers places where he can enjoy the scenery while hanging upside down, dangling by the seat belt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. denver75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    while hanging upside down, dangling by the seat belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Harry I needed that laugh this morning /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We had a group vote last night and Chinimans it is , is rated an 8 but they have this new "Super" hardcore trail less than 2 miles from it it's supposed to be a d60 killer /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif we will see.....
    Anyone is welcome to come along ..

7. HarryH3

I knew you'd appreciate that! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Are you going to Chinaman's Gulch, out near Buena Vista? I could be out there in 90 minutes or so from here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My friend went to Wheeler last weekend, or at least attempted to. The lake was frozen and there were still 4-5 foot drifts across the road.

As far as the hardcore trail by chinamans, I beleive it is Carnage Canyon or something like that. ANyway, My buddy did it about a month ago in his 89 Burb. They said he couldn't do it in a burb and he hates to be told can't. He almost rolled once going around an obstacle he couldn't drive through (too narrow). Anyway, good luck and hope you have fun.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm dieing to go wheel'in! But, [ QUOTE ]
    We had a group vote last night and Chinimans it is

[/ QUOTE ] Where is it at?
    I like the Holly cross idea myself because it's close and if the camp ground is full, we can make our own on Shrine Pass or near. I shouldn't say much yet though, need to clear it with the boss /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.
    Otherwise I'd dig joining in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. denver75k5

Yup, Chinamans out near Buena Vista I think we are heading out Friday morning (4th) and mabey hanging till Sunday.

Mark,
    Yup I believe it's called Carnage canyon , I was told
    yesterday that it made Indy look like a bumpy dirt road and
    fullsizes could not make it through,,, They havent seen my fullsize /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dave ,
    We chose Chinamans because of all of the other trails around there, if we get bored with one we can go to the other, I hope thats not too far for you we would enjoy your company ... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

If you guys can handle one more, I'll throw me and my rig into.
    Gorrilla, (James)
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Well, I was hoping to finish getting in my D60 before my next trip, but maybe I'll make and exception and tag along.

13. denver75k5

Sure, the more the better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ken , what do you have left to do on your 60?

14. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Well, lets see... install my locker, build a new tie rod, build a new crossover steering arm, assemble the axle, grind the calipers, hang the axle under the Jimmy, adapt my hydraulic steering to the axle...oh, and switch out the 14 bolt to 4:56 gears to match the d60...getting closer, I swear...I painted much of it. Pathetic huh? I wait four years before buying a d60, and then it takes me three months to get it installed. You busy this Sunday?

15. denver75k5

Dont feel bad it took me almost 7 months to get my 60 together and I still dont have crossover on it.

16. denver75k5

This is the deal,

We are planning on leaving (aurora) @ 9am friday morning and heading up to chinamans which I hear has plenty of parking & camp spots, setting up camp then running the trail , and then Saturday running either the "new" carnage depending on how nasty it is or running Iron chest which is about 10 miles away from chinamans. Sunday is open mabey for a little playing around or just heading home.
    I just need to know who is planning on going and who is camping so we can meet down here and convoy up or meet at a spot up there.

Here are the directions:Access: Coming from Denver you would take take 285 to Johnson's Village and then take a left at CR301, proceed south to just past the 'Prison property' sign. There will be a gate on the left with a small yellow sign saying it's a public access. The road runs through Buena Vista prison property. There is a gate at each end of the road and you need to make sure those gates get closed after you go through them. Once through the prison property you want to head left and you will see the trail head as you get to the base of the mountain. CR307 is a couple of miles east of there and is an alternate route to Chinamans Gulch. Coming from Denver one would take a left onto 307 to CR187, then left again to Forest Development Road 300, right on FR300 to a major fork. Left at that fork takes you to an intersection with Chinaman's Gulch, or staying on 300 brings you out by Ruby Mountain which is where we exited Saturday. Shortly after you make it past the first tight squeeze rock obstacle, you will come to a Y in the road. Either road will let you run the trail, but taking the left is easier. I have never run the right turn of the trail so not really sure what it entails. After you reach the top of the mountain and head back down at the bottom you will come to another Y in the road, to get out you want to take a left to the FR300 sign. Follow that trail and you will once again cross some private prison property (remember, there is no stoping on prison land) and end up back out on Hwy 24. Go left to get back to Johnson's Village.

TJ /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif + /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Whats up TJ? Hey, Carnage Canyon is pretty cool. It has some real tight spots and plenty of obstacles. Jeff and I ended up running that the weekend we were here in April. We made it about halfway up before Jeff broke his rear drive shaft and yoke. Who is going so far? I might be able to join you guys on Saturday if you know for sure thats the plan. Give me a call if you have a chance (I will PM you my #'s) or send a PM. James.

18. denver75k5

Hey James , good talking to you the other day, I assume the move went well to Colorado? As i was saying Ill give that Carnage trail a shot but without trying to sound like a wuss , I have to watch it cause i still have to drive the thing home, but theres always Iron chest too.
    As far as all the people going, so far:

Gorilla
    Myself
    Mark (xj)
    junior (cj)
    White whomper??
    Jason (yj)

Also there is a group from Vail of about 4-7 that want to meet up with us to do Chinamans and a small group from denver that wants to do Carnage on the 5th all these guys are off of the Colorado 4x4.org board.

Thats all the info I have rite now.
    TJ

19. denver75k5

Oh ya, do any of you guys have on board air?

20. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

if I hurry I might be able to get the compressor in?!
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif