Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jummping out of 4wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike_d, Jan 6, 2002.

1. mike_d

mike_d Registered Member

I have an 84 k5 with a 350eng, 350 trans, and an np 203 tcase, and it jumps out of 4wd when on dry land. I was driving it down the road tonite in the snow and whenever I hit a dry spot or a spot with no snow it jumped out of 4wd. It does it in 4 hi and 4 lo. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I am fairly new to the 4wd game but am learning quickly, so any help would be great.
    Thanks.

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

To start off, an 84 K5 should have a 208 transfer case. Did you switch it out? Has you truck been lifted? Has the t-case been shimed down? The first thing to check is to see if your shifter linkage, assuming you have a 208 is properly adjusted. If it isn't the transfer case isn't locking into gear and pops out of gear when added resistance occurs. Also, how long have you had the truck? Have you used the 4 wheel drive before with no problems? My suburban when I bought it had two different gear ratios in it. The 4 wheel drive worked when on snow since the tires could slip but when on pavement I would have problems. I'd say start from here and let us know how you make out. Also fill out you profile, where are you from?
    Good luck,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

3. mike_d

mike_d Registered Member

I haven't had the truck long. This is the second time I've put it in 4wd, once on dry pavment on my way into a field and then in the snow. Use the tcase was changed, it is deffinatly an np203. It doens't have a lift yet, a six inch is in the works but not on yet.

4. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

You say you have a 203, did you change it out? What is the case made of? If it is alluminum you have a 208. I had the same problem with my 208. I rebuilt it myself and have not had aproblem with it since, it was the shift fork on mine. It is supposed to be about 5/8" thick and mine was razor thin.
    I thought I could not do the rebuild myself, but thanks the the fine folks here at K5 I decided to try it and surprised myself, I did and it works! Go figure. And all for a total of about $150, a heck of alot cheaper than buying a rebuilt ot new one!

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy, 4" lift and a shackle flip, and 35's!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

5. mike_d

mike_d Registered Member

It is cast iron, and it still has the vin plate on the tcase stating np203. It also has Warn manual locking hubs. I dont know if that would make a difference or not.

oh s**t I think I ran over a Honda.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd check your axle ratios... If one's been changed and it doesn't match the front, like Mike said, they will bind up when the tires can't spin off the resistance, and that may pop the tranfer case out of 4.

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 203 generally a full time case? If so, is there a chance a badly done part time conversion could do this?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.