Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jump on the bandwagon now kiddies....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jun 21, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tired of seeing all these kids around me jump on the bandwagon. What is the bandwagon? Diesels. Mostly Cummins Turbo Diesels. I have 4 friends with Cummins turbo diesel trucks. 1 has never towed anything more than an ATV on a tiny trailer with his. 1 has a dually and rarely tows his dad's bought cause his dad has his own dually Dodge. And the other well hes a diesel mechanic and he keeps his Dodge in tip top shape and has it tuned up and ready for pulling. He pulled for the first time last night and pulled a 271, not bad for a street truck. Anyway, he hauls stuff randomly but not that much. And lastly a buddy of mine is a horse guy and hauls his horse trailer around with his Cummins dually just about every weekend. Now this little girl(17 at the oldest) tells me she is pissed that someone rear ended her cause she can't get her new truck as fast. I ask what her new truck is? 2001 Dodge Cummins /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif She has never towed... anything. She is notorious for jumping on the bandwagon and trying real hard to be some "redneck" cause thats oh so popular. For all these reasons I couldn't and wouldn't buy a newer Cummins if it came about. Well I would but I'd put the damn Cummins in a CHEVY. It all makes me want to hop up my Vortec daily driver and blow all these guys out of the water on the street. Oh stacks are popular too. The friend who set his up for pulling put them on first now everyone and their grandmother has them in this area. And I don't just mean my friends, seen a lot of them popping up around here with stacks lately. And that little girl said she is gonna stack hers too. Ok thats a little rant from me I guess... In the end, what is wrong with people and their hive brains?

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what is wrong with people and their hive brains?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have no life so they are trying to make one up. Same as most of the ricers.

I think it's great that these nimrods go out and buy nice trucks and rarely use them ... better pickings in the boneyard a few yerars down the road. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'll be good for us when the popularity of those things fades and there is a glut of them on the market...

Cheap tow rigs for all! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it's great that these nimrods go out and buy nice trucks and rarely use them ... better pickings in the boneyard a few yerars down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I will ready for a tow rig and trailer in a few years, so that's AWESOME for me /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Contrary opinion time - why NOT a Cummins? My father in law gets 20+ mpg with his 2001 - which is basically double what K5's/Burbs are getting ('cept Rene and his diesel of course!). With gas prices over $2.00, seems it makes sense to get the best of all worlds.

In fact, I'm getting close to jumping on that bandwagon myself when I get my job situation stabilized for the long run.

Cummins - they're not just for pulling anymore!

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact, I'm getting close to jumping on that bandwagon myself when I get my job situation stabilized for the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOO, anything but the bandwagon /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Cummins are the bomb. Im not jumping on any bandwagon but with gas prices the way they are why not a diesel? They dont always have to be for soley towing but are nice to have in case something comes up. Also the Cummins has already proven itself as far more durable than the Duramax, and powerstroke. I had a picture of the rods in each of the motors and the duramax came up the puniest then the powerstroke and then almost nealry twice as big as the chevys is the cummins. It isnt uncommon to see 500,000+ miles on a cummins but I have seen very few on any chevy or fords diesels. I applaud Dodge on using cummins engines and not trying to develop their own.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Jeep is supposed to put a diesel into the liberty next year. Europe has mostly diesels due to the economy thing. I hear ya on the band wagon thing. Half of the allison GM's I see in my shop getting tires are lifted and not able to tow (not to mention fry the tranny). Then there is that cummins thing. They are awsome to tow with but a bit of pain to park and drive every day. I want one cause I am real tired of driving my K5 after a hard run.

I agree that let the posers be, then in 2 years we will have some great pickins for low miles diesel rigs (thank you posers).

Viva la bandwagon /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You say all of this while posting on a website where over 99% of the members drive a 67-91 Chevy/GMC K5, burb or pickup? I think your just upset because they didnt jump on your band wagon /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

*Hijack*

I want a VW bug with the turbo-deisel, it gets over 50 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

*End of hijack*

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Cool, they didn't tell me I was joining a band when I bought my `04.5 Dodge CTD 600. Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I wonder when the royalty checks will start coming in /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The girl is going from some little ranger that does exactly what she needs, and I'm pretty certain gets the same if not better mileage than a cummins.

13. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The girl is going from some little ranger that does exactly what she needs, and I'm pretty certain gets the same if not better mileage than a cummins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there you go. Who would want to drive a Ranger when you could drive a Dodge w/a cummins? Especially if your getting about the same millage BUT the diesel is cheaper.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ehh whatever, I think these kids are just paying an extra 5k on a used truck for no reason. You have to factor in the fact that the Ranger probably cost her as much as the diesel option alone does in the used market.

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My only question is if she is spending "HER" money and not "YOUR" money what gives you the right to decide what is best for her? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok this thread appears to be turnign even more interesting as it goes along,
    ive never owned any truck newer than 83 and all have been rusty beat up former farm trucks, the world of nice shiny diesel trucks and stuff is wayyyyy ahead and beyond me, even ppl i used ot work with were bent on having the tallest biggest newest ram or whatever trucks, i never really saw the point of spednign all the $ on the stuff when i was happy with my 100 ro 200 dollar full size GM beaters that never left me stranded ever, literally,. no payments of nay kind cept for the cheap insurance payments, and gas mileage wasnt horrible becaus ei always put and kept them all in good mechanicl shape and didnt give rats ass about the body conditon cuz they were beat up farm trucks anyways

so i dunno,.

tune in next time to 'as the bandwagons' wheels turn'

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

WHOA Sled dog,
    Your missin something, if she's cute there's your tow rig! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My .02, I happy to see there's a bandwagon out there for Cummins. Means that hot rod parts for em will get cheaper with more competion making after market parts for em.
    As for stacks, no, I mean HELL no.
    My tow rig is an '02, straight exhaust and 35" nitto terra grips. Still gets 17 mph.
    As for in a chevy, Definately,.........

IN A PRE-IFS 4X4. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I love Chevy, but I don't want a Isuzu diesel, and IFS 4x4.
    And no, I'm not on the bandwagon, I bought mine as the last tow rig I will ever have to buy.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I did mean but not clarify an old SFA chevy, like a crew cab with a cummins would be nice. i just wish there had been a 1 ton pickup craze back in the mid 80s /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif OH and this one is definetally a "bag it" situation

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cummins are the bomb. Im not jumping on any bandwagon but with gas prices the way they are why not a diesel? They dont always have to be for soley towing but are nice to have in case something comes up. Also the Cummins has already proven itself as far more durable than the Duramax, and powerstroke. I had a picture of the rods in each of the motors and the duramax came up the puniest then the powerstroke and then almost nealry twice as big as the chevys is the cummins. It isnt uncommon to see 500,000+ miles on a cummins but I have seen very few on any chevy or fords diesels. I applaud Dodge on using cummins engines and not trying to develop their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the cummins rod is bigger...it's an inline 6! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

The pic is very deceiving. The GM rod pictured is a 6.2/6.5 rod not a d-max. Also, I've never heard of anyone having trouble with rod strength. Look around in the Diesel forum, your mind will change...

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the cummins freakin rocks. not to many engines put out 600 lb/ft, stock... and get over 20 mpg at the same time.

If I had lots of $ layin around Id swap one in my k5 in a heartbeat.

j