Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jumping your blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by quicker, Apr 16, 2007.

1. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

Anyone seriously jump there blazer and have the best suspension combo for doing it.

2. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm the worst person to talk to about jumping Blazers. The frame and shock mounts or such aren't just made to handle the landing. Ask me how I know...

I'm never doing it again.

3. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I figure I would have to reinforce the whole frame..basicly box it and stiffen it up along with mounts and so forth. I weld as part of my job so the frame is the easy part.

I have had quite a few 4X4's and one of my favorite units was a Suzuki samurai. I was able to get 5 feet of lift no problem and with 4 people in it. The only thing that ever broke was the shocks.

I am not looking for a graceful jump or a long travel coil suspension.

I figure strengthen it up structurally and I should be able to get enough flex out of my leaf springs 4" lift to take most of the punch.

Not doing this tomorrow I still need to pick up my donor frame to box and so forth but I wanted to be sure I covered all the bases when building.

Thanks for any advice.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are going airborne with 10 bolts be sure to put some strong trusses on them.

5. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I figure I am going to need a 14 bolt anyway but I was going to go corporate 10bolt up front... I will probably have to go Dana 60. I know from experience that the front on all boxy cars and trucks tend to come down very hard. Lol spine crusher.

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

make sure you have heavy duty shackles and make sure you don't do it on 30 year old springs, they WILL break!

I remeber seeing a video of a K5 jumping, I'll see if I can find it...

7. Chevy305

8. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

serious air time can cost serious money. Thats a lot of weight flyin' through the air too!:eek1:

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The frame is definitelt where you wanna start but springs also make a difference, lifted spring will not handle it very well they are arched and will not do very well, you also want to make a different shock attachment, the stock setup will not work
    You also want to lighten your truck as much as you can.
    Having a D60 is not necessary, if you are a good welder, make a nice boxed housing reinforcing your 10 bolt, you will do better.
    I jumped a stock 73 blazer quite a bit then worked with a jeep wagoneer, I can tell you the waggy did much better with it's flat sping and light body.:D

11. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I have to admit after seeing the video i want to jump my truck right now...

My lift is a 4" arced spring type and I was worried about that.. So I need a different lift as well then. hmmm time to get another job.

So once I have welded up my frame and mounts i will need to redo my lift.

Any suggestions for a lift combo that will take 38" tires and take the abuse of the odd jump..or two?

I am excited about the option of the corporate 10bolt because the 14 bolt and corporate 10 mesh very well together. Ratio wise.

Quick

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

While you rework your frame, incorporate some lower spring hangers and make them strong, then you can have flatter springs with the same amount of lift, and a smoother landing.
    :D

13. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

That’s the best plan yet.. I also saw there was a best of the best spring combo for this rig and figure I could maximize (lengthen) my spring options at the same time as strengthening the mounts.

I am actually a good welder and not only run a strong bead but the industry I work in also expects a pretty weld. I will definitely take some pictures as I go.

For now I just want to drive it so I will be getting that mount and slapping the new engine and transmission back together.

I now have a picture box on the site so I will load pictures of the new engine trans and frame once I get it going.

14. Chevy305

15. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That white K5 looked like it had a D60. If I'm not mistaken RyanB's '72 with a D60 had the same thing happen at Pismo or Glamis.

I did this about 6 years ago...D44 and 14 bolt at the time. Crappy Rancho front springs and stock rear springs with 4" blocks plus RS 5000 POS shocks.

[​IMG]

The next morning I got rear ended by a drunk (F-100 at 50+ mph) and still drove it over 300 miles home.

Rene

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

That pic does not do the vid justice at all. you flew that thing half way back to Canada...;)

18. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

look up a guy on here called zcarczar, he has jumped his blazer quite a few times and built it for speed

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 here is mine jumping.

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/gmc4cw/?action=view&current=nov25th016.flv

not very far or high, but still fun. I hit the jump about 5 times before they got the video right. shocks will play a big factor in your landing. I run 2 per wheel up front. somewhere I have a video on tape where I launched the truck around the distance as that white blazer.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  20. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Says the file no longer exists