Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

junk 700r4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85armytank, Dec 19, 2001.

1. 85armytank

85armytank Newbie

i have a problem my 700r4 puked and i have alot of ?s i have an 85 blazer with a 307 (chevy)not olds from a 1960 something so the computer is not hooked up when ifirst got the truck the tranny would go from 1st to od at about 20 to 30 mph if i shifted it manualy it would work ok any way i un pluged the tranny and it shifted ok on its own but would slip very little betwen gears so i just lived with it any way i had heard of a non computer 700r4 and was wondering what years i am looking for or what i should do for a tranny becuse as luck would have it i was sitting at a stop light and it would not leave the stop light no forward or reverse i shut it off let it sit for 20 to 30 seconds and for the hell of it tryed it and off i went for about 2 miles and it started to slip any hoo i towed it home and tryed it there and it moved on its own again so any help here would be helpful and another thing is it wont have ecm in it being the age of the motor i dont know how much the ecm controled on the tranny i do use it off road a little and drive it on road a lot and so sorry for the vary wordy post

2. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Hey dude,

Maaan, be brief next time. That's the deal:

Have some one check if the tranny is fine as far as operation, if it not then you need to take it out and give it an overhaul. If you say your engine is a 1960 engine then its probably carburetted with no computer. The 700-r4 could work with your engine if you install a 4th gear lockup kit, I think,. some are made by " painless wiring" and "B&M"... . All the 700-R4 I know of require an electric signal, but they are not computerized, I think the electronic version has been renamed 4L60E. Anyway , good luck...

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Did you have the cable from the transmission hooked up and adjusted properly to the throttle on the engine? This cable, called the TV cable controls the shifting of the transmission, if it isn't hooked up and adjusted properly it will damage the transmission. Your transmission is not computer controlled, the electrical connector is only for the lock-up convertor, it does not need to be connected, but the lock-up convertor won't work if it's not.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454