Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

junk edelbrock carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad82k5, Sep 30, 2001.

1. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

So here i am climbing this steep, scenic, mountain trail, when edelbrock strikes again. Just tip an edelbrock squarebore a little in any direction, that is the end of that trail. Has anyone else had problems with edelbrocks starving out or loading up? I am going back to the good old q-jet, then i am tossing the edelbrock off a cliff. Sorry about the rant, just had to get that out of my system.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I love hearing stuff like this. I just took off my Q-jet and put on an edelbrock. But i did it cuz i wanted a spare carb while I get my Q-jet rebuilt. I did notice improved performace with my new carb though.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

3. had one in a cj 5. sputtered when i put a tire on the curb! q-jet all the way!

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

4. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I did notice a good power boost from the edelbrock, in fact, i love the thing on the street. I have just had nothing but trouble with it off road, however, the hill i was climbing was considerably steeper than i expected.
    eric

82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am junking my Q-jet for a Edelbrock. I put my tire on the curb and my Q-jet craps out. Did you put the OFF-ROAD kit in your Edelbrock? I did. I will let you know how it works...I am going to a TBI setup. I have most of the stuff already just need the wiring harness and the computer. But I can't get that done untill Nov. Or Dec..........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

6. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I haven't put in the off road kit. I was always curious to see if it worked. Keep us posted. I want to go to f.i., but haven't had the funds yet.
    eric

82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

7. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Yea, the offroad kit, and a fuel pressure regulator work! I have owned 2 different 77 K5s. One without the kit, it sucked, just a little incline and it would start to sputter. The other ( I just sold) worked great with the spring loaded needle and seat setup with a fuel pressure regulator. One problem I did have on the 2nd Edelbrock. Every 3 or 4 months the carb would have flooding problems. I could see fuel seeping out of the bowl gasket and down the throat of the carb. Each time I would take the top cover off, clean out the carb with cleaner and everything would be back to normal. Must have been using bad fuel filters or something.....

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Overdrive

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Guys You are forgetting one important thing. Edlebrok makes a Q-jet, and it is awsome. It has the improved performance of an edelbrok carb, and the reliability and go anywareness, of a q-jet. I'm serious, i got one about a month ago, and it was worth the 460 dollar price tag. The reason I bought it anyway is becuase the stock remanned unit for my truck, (remanned by Holly) Crapped out in 2 weeks. So I took it back, and bought a new edlebrok carb. well, Worth it.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

You've got me thinking just what is in my 1400 now it's a 600cfm but so far I have'nt had any problems offroad. Now as for my carb I have this K5 for 1 1/2yrs and have yet to pull the air horn maybe I should see if has that offroad kit in it.

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, if you are tossing the Edelbrock, toss it this way! I have run a Performer 600 for 10 yrs. It runs great, awesome performance, very easy to take apart and clean (about every 6 mos), and looks great too! I run the off-road kit, and love it. I am about to put the first rebuild kit into it ever.
    Now... yes it does still flood on steep inclines. If I run it at say... 50 degrees or more for more than 10 sec or so, it does load up. Where I am, the hills are steep but short and I dont have much trouble, but if I spin out and have to stop, she doesnt like it at all. My plans are to buy a Edelbrock Quad soon, so I hope that will be solved. But till then, I will happily run the Performer.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>