Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk my block, or no?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Aug 3, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have a the disassembled 327 that came with my K5 taking up room in the garage. When I pulled the motor out, I figgered I could rebuild it someday down the line. It's supposedly one of the high nickel blocks, 4 bolt main, and I've never built a SBC before. BUT, the thing is, it's already been bored .060 over. I had some minor compression issues, but that may have been due to the fact that a couple of the piston rings came off in two pieces when I pulled the pistons out. The bores show no signs of scoring, could I just re-hone? Is .060 the max that a cyl. can be bored out? Should I hang onto this block, or list it as a lost cause?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes .060 is the farthest you can go with a 327 and 350. some blocks can not be bored .060 because of too much core shift. anyway i would check the bore with a bore guage to see if its out of round or has too much clearance. you probably could hone it out, but i would check it first.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let me first start off by saying you have a 350 not a 327. GM never made a 4 bolt 327. If the engine was running without any overheat issues and the bores are still round and straight then it could be reused again at a later date but as noted above .060" is the max on SBC's and most won't even go that far without having overheat issues.

4. mofugly13

Well, it may have been a 350 originally, but it was a 327 when I got it. The rebuilt tag on it ID's it as a "power-pak". The limited info that I was able to dig up on Power Pak tells me that they were comparable in quality to a Kragen rebuilt. Anyway, the crank is a 327 crank, I figgered this by measuring the stroke, and later checking the casting numbers. I did not have any overheat issues and the engine ran strong until it spun a main bearing and consequently ruined the crank. I guess I'll just let it sit in the corner of the garage for now... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you CAN bore more than .060 over, saying you can't is sort of closed minded but you are probably just keeping it simple for him. for practical purposes you shouldn't. As for the crank, you likely have a large journal 327(350) block. Either crank is a direct bolt in and the blocks are the same. Run the numbers it could be either and doesn't really matter. Get the crank checked, see if it just needs to be cut. Get a new 350 block, if the crank is salvagable use it, if not I'd say go 350.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can get your bores sleeved and reuse your block. If it is a good block like you say then sleeving it might be an option.

Harley

7. mofugly13

Nah, the crank is shot. It started knocking and I still drove it around for a couple days. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif When I pulled the rod caps to check the bearings, two of them were spun into the thickness of HD aluminum foil! The crank already had .010 over bearings in it, and on the journals that spun, the crank was worn down another few hundredths. I have already welded a screw eye into the balancer hole, and hung the crank from a tree at my hunting cabin. Backwoods wind chime? I just dont know what to do with the block, yet...

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey--I have several briggs and stratton wind chime cranks in my backyard--the neighbors dont like them--but I dont like their german shepard they chain to a tree barking all day and night for 5 years either! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    As for the block--you could wash it real good at the car wash,and buy a sheet of plexiglass at home depot,and make a small block coffee table--a friend has one with a rod still sticking out of it!Great coversation peice!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif