Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk yard 14 blt ff $$$

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Jun 12, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I would like to add a 14 blt ff to my 85 blazer but I need some info. I have seen people on this board that show to have a 1 ton 14 blt and the others have 3/4 ton 14 blt; what's the differance? What do I need to look for when buying one. What kind will fit the Blazer with out any mods.
    And last but not least what would one pay for one.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the one ton 14 bolts have narrower perches. you would have to remove and weld new ones on. i think that 1/2 and 3/4 ton are like 35 inches from the outside of the perches. measure yours before you go looking then measure the 14 bolt in question.

when buying one look for any obvious damage to the outside and inside. if you plan on regearing it from the get go dont worry about gears. a locker did come stock with them, both in the detroit form and gov lock. dont get gov lock. if you want to lock it later on you have to find an open carrier. also look at the gears to see if they are in good condition. i.e., no pitting, gouges, ab-normal wear patterns, or lots of rust. make sure the drain plug is not frozen in place, and also checkthe splines on the shafts.
    some people think nothing of it but check for hammer marks on the inside of the dif cover. some folks tend to back into the strangest things sometimes....
    hope i could help.
    grant

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any 3/4 ton 14ff will work. If you get a 2WD version you may need to modify the shock mounts because they are much lower than a 4WD version. Also a van 14ff will work also but the width is 3" wider. Some people like the extra width so the track is about the same as the front.

4. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 tons have bigger brakes.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3/4 ton 14ff come with both 11" and 13" brakes. The 1 tons all came with 13" brakes. I currently have an 85 suburban 2WD 14ff with 13" brakes in my blazer. Most 3/4 ton 14ff's I have seen have the 13" brakes on them.

7. fbsadmin

fbsadmin Registered Member

The brakes on the 1-ton unit also come in 2 1/2 wide and 3 1/2 inch wide versions (depending on the year). Obviously I opted for the larger ones. For a full floating unit, junk yards usually sell them for $150-250.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You can get a nice FF down here in NM for about 100.00 if you do not want any wheels.

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I just bought one yesterday at a local Pick n Pull. 90 dollars out the gate. Complete with 13" drums , P-brake cables and open carrier