Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk Yard Air Compressors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3rdshiftdesign, Feb 11, 2005.

1. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I've got an '89 K5 that I'm looking to add air to, I would like to mount a tank have the compressor fill it.

I read the review on the York compressor, but I'm looking for a more inexpensive way.

I found an air compressor from an '86 Cadillac (air ride suspension) for $12 at the local yard. I haven't had a chance to rig it up and see what kind of PSI it will put out, I've read it'll put out 60-90 but couldn't verify that.

Have any of you had any experience with a compressor like this?

I'd like some input, thanks.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I haven't dealt with this, but it couldn't be too complicated. See if you can pick up a used tank to keep it cheap, I got my 5 gal for $10. The bracket in the caddy could also be close to what you need, if you're lucky.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

I have a few of the "portable" tanks I could use, or I can pick up some from a big rig for really cheap. I have the compressor and the bracket. I mocked it up in a .50 Caliber ammo can and it fit well, I have a 4" box fan to put on to keep it nice and cool as well.

I'm not too familiar with air things, which is why I asked. If it's rated at 60PSI is that all it would fill the tank up to? and what do you think about running two of them, if I had to, for air tools ?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or anything like that.

Thanks again.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I do not know how to do this stuff.. but make sure you have some kind of regulator or shutoff system.. .if you get too much air in there you dont want the tank blowing up...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A guy I know uses one...

I know of one guy who has a caddy air suspension compressor hooked up on his ramp truck,with a portable air tank like you can buy for 20 bucks at a discount store for filling tires,etc--he uses his to run an impact to take tires and rims off the cars and trucks he scraps,it takes about 10 minites to fill the tank up to the limit(about 80 psi)and he can only take one or two tires off before its empty and you have to wait another 10 minites--he us going to take it off and invent something that will work faster and last longer--he's already burnt up 2 of the air compressors--they werent designed to run for long periods of time evidently...

I dont see why more people dont just cannibalize a small home air compressor ,and mount the pump to the engine!--and use the tank if its good,I see them in the junkpile at the landfill often,usually a rotted tank or bad electric motor is why they junked them--I'd think a "real" pump from one of them,like a "speed-air" piton type pump would outlast any automotive one converted to an air compressor--from what I hear most car air conditioners compressors dont live very long when used for an air compressor,once the freon/oil mix is removed,they burn up in short order when used for anything but their intended purpose...Maybe I'm wrong,but I know more than a few people who tried using them that way on ramp trucks and service trucks,and they didnt last too long..:crazy:

6. 3rdshiftdesign

Well, the compressor I have is for the air ride suspension so i don't know if it'll last longer or shorter. I do know that I want air in my truck so even if this compressor is a complete turd, it won't be too hard to convert to another one. at least the majority of the plumbing would be done.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on those caddy compressors. They just don't have the power, cfm, or duty cycle for anything other than very light use. You're also right about *most* a/c compressors burning up when the freon is removed. A lot of them lubricate themselves with the coolant that they pump, especially vane style compressors. The york is different because of it's piston style design, with an actual crankcase that fills with motor oil for lubrication. That difference is what makes it usable in this application, and so popular. Many people run them heavily for years without problems. Even if one were to go bad, it is extremely easy and cheap to find and exact replacement.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried to convert a home compressor to work in the truck - a nightmare. The electric engine would need an inverter more expensive than buying a whole a/c type system and the belt driven compressor motors don't have a clutch.

I finally decided that there was no need to reinvent the wheel and that the guys here using the Yorks were doing it the best way.

I managed to get OBA with a 6 1/2 gal tank from the home compressor for around $100. You could do it cheaper, but I bought the pulley for $40 from Kilby and a bracket that was usless. Write up here -
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128396

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know nothing is easy.....

I know the biggest problem using a household air compressor with an inverter is out of the question,most of them draw way too many amps for any inverter to work--you might as well carry a generator to power it!..mounting the air pump on the engine would not be too hard,I can see the drive setup would require some kind of clutch,I'd just use a spring loaded idler pully so you could remove the belt easily,you could use a pulley off the crank like the ones they use to drive a fisher plow pump..

But I guess it is easier to find and use the york style compessors,as long as they last awhile I guess its worth it--the only ones I have seen last any length of time is the tecumseh compressors and the york style piston ones--I've seen the "log" style GM ones used before,they dont usually hang in there for very long,and the "radial" ones are junk--I know one guy who spent a week making one of those into a compressor and it died within 1 hour !!!..

Anyone ever use a compressor with a gas motor like a briggs and stratton on it?? I know,fuel spills and too big and bulky,right??( they should make a compact one with a chain saw motor driving it!)

I'm also wondering if anyone ever tried converting a small gas engine like a lawnmower to an air compressor--I saw one at a swap meet that had 2 engines coupled together crank to crank,one running and the other acting as the pump--but I had to leave and couldnt pick the guys brain on how he did it--it looked like he was getting the air from the exhaust port instead of the spark plug hole??--I wished I didnt have to leave in a hurry,I was very interested in how it worked--like to build one myself,I have more than a few small engines gathering dust..:crazy:

10. 3rdshiftdesign

I guess i'll take a look down the yard for one of those york piston style ones, although i'm not too familiar with how they work and what not.

I read the write up and it is interesting. I guess i'll just have to decide exactly what i'm going to use the OBA for. I know running air tools would be super convienent.

Ah well, I guess I'll just see what I come up with. Thanks for the input.