Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Junk"yard and wrecking yard the same?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I can't think of the name for places to dump off cars and trucks, and parts (like pick n pull), so I just used junkyard...
    There is a place in my town named "Overpass Wrecking Yard' and they have numerous trucks and vans in there (a lot of the trucks with axles intacted) and also a semi-large oil/gas/water truck (don't know what it is, but it has a big tank behind the cab) which I would guess would have 1 ton axles (d70/d80 and d60?) it's from the 80's i'm pretty sure, definitly not the newer body styles.
    But my question is, how do wrecking yards work? Are the public (me) allowed to come in and take stuff (or buy, however the owner wants it to be) or is it just suposed to lay there?
    There is also someones properyty 5 minutes from my current house with a lot of older vehicles laying around. But it's someones property, don't think it is a junkyard (no signs) but the building is a smaller warehouse.
    Thinking of dropping by these pllaces eventually (when I get my skills build up for identifying parts, and getting my courage up to go) because I would think there could be a few parts (axles!) to pick up.

Also, tell me if I am right...if a truck has a dually rear, it is most likely going to be a D70 right? Or did D60's come in the rear of duallys too? 14bff?
    Also, is there a guide on the internet (simular to ck5's axle guide) to help identify engines (gas, and deisel) or what? What about trannys and transfercases?
    I know I could always ask on here, but when I go I wouldn't have a PC with me. ALTHOUGH I could bring a camera, take pics, post 'em up here, ask if the part(s) are worth getting, then go back (and pray they are still there) and pick em up if I have the cash.

'Scuse me if I sound dumb, I have never gone to a junk yard, wrecking yard, or anything to look for parts. And most likely I would go with my self (friends aren't into trucks, and a lot of them are lazy...)

Also, can someone tell me in the next few months in this post, tools you would bring when you are scouting for engines, trannys, transfercases, axles, and misc parts? To disasseble and whatnot?

Thanks, sorry this is soo long.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Junk yard, auto salvage

wrecking yard,scrap metal resalvage- take metal there and get money, you can't take anything out (usually).

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

so most likely I can't take anything from there?
    I need to call. There LOOKS to be good parts in there!

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I was thinking scrap yard. Wrecking may be the same, go by there or call em.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

looked in the phonebook, looks like you can give them stuff and get money, but also take stuff and pay for it.
    just need skills and i'll drop in and look !:)

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

names interchanchable??

Around here we have Junkyards,Salvage Yards,Wrecking Yards,and Scrapyards!!( I often call them "Boneyards"!)

The terms "Salvage Yard" and " Junkyards" and "Wrecking Yards" all seem to mean they are places you can go in and pull your own parts (in most cases,some dont allow people to wander about in the yard)--and buy whole vehicles,parts for cars and trucks..at reasonable,but sometimes not a bargain price...

"Scrapyards" are usually metal recycling centers that buy iron,steel,aluminum and other metals,and mostly just crush the vehicles they get--but we have a few in my area that also sell parts,and will either remove them for you,or let you pull your own parts as long as you stay clear of the scrapping area where front end loaders and trackhoes are busy unloading cars trucks and scrap from semi's..

Most of them dont allow anyone but employees inside the gates for safety and insurance reasons,I'm lucky that I know the owner and he lets me go "hunting" MOST of the time,unless its real busy--which it has been lately since scrap went up to 85 bucks a ton recently...Prices are much cheaper at the scrapyards,but usually parts you get there have no warranty,or a very limited one-( like "go get another one!")-stuff there is considered "junk",but often is no worse than the parts at the junkyards that charge a lot more --junkyards will test run motors,and evaluate the condition of the parts on most vehicles before parting them out,and you get at least a 30 day warranty..

So--its confusing as hell.aint it???--your best bet it to call them or go there and ask if they allow you to "pick and pull" your own parts,or if they must do it for you--or whether they only buy scrap,and dont sell parts to the public--cant really go by the names,because it seems they cant decide which name means what!!:confused:

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

If you don't know, just ask. Especially the place that is someone's private property...you don't want to go poking around there and suddenly find out they are an active and angry member of the NRA.

Some junkyards let you in to look. A lot of them are not like this, due to liability. just asking won't hurt anything, and who knows? you might score some wicked cheap parts. also, if you go there alot and the owner/operator gets to know you, he may start to give you a discount.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd call before I go there to make sure I could get some parts, or even look around.
    The one place I drove by today looks just like a pick and pull i saw outside of Vancouver last summer. has a big tall "sheet" metal fence all the way around, and a bunch of vehicles inside. I don't know...i;ll call soon hopefully...

9. Mantruck-k5

Mantruck-k5 Registered Member

just talk to the owner

Find out who owns the place and just approach the owner as a you would any other car guy. Most people in that business like cars but need to make a living regardless of what they have to sell for "melt down." If the place is indeed a "scrap yard" they guy would sell you anything that you need. If he gets $100 for a single rear end it would not make that much difference in the long run to what he'd get for the scrap in the rest of the truck... They go by weight and 150 lb would not make that much difference when he's scrapping out a 4000lb truck...
    The personal side is that the guy in charge/owner probably has a 1968 Camaro at home in the garage and totally understands the needs of another "car guy."

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks, I'll try to find the owner.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll probably end up making a new thread, this one isn't getting anymore feedback about tools and whatnot.
    But can anyone guide me in a direction on identifying engines, tranny's, x-cases, and SOME axles? Also body styles per year for different make trucks (GM, Chevy, Ford, Dodge)
    Thanks.
    Also, anyone have any idea about the the water/oil/gas tank truck? I'll see if I can find a simular pic off of ebay.

12. diesel4me

interchange manuals

Most yards have a "Hollander Interchange Manual" that tells them which parts are used on a particular vehicle,like if you need a rear end for an 86 K20,you look up 86 K20 rear axle,and it will say a #456 Hollander fits--then you flip a few pages and look up #456 ,and it will list all the other vehicles that have the same rear end.

They also have engine codes,axle codes,pictures of the grilles and front ends to identify what year,etc--they are pretty pricey books,so its best to make friends with the guy at the parts counter--I spent my share of time digging in them for info...

The only bummer is they only tell you what will replace the factory part--for instance,they dont tell you a dana 60 bolts in place of a 10 bolt,or a 14 bolt sf or ff will bolt in place of a 10 bolt--they leave that up to us!--but they do have leaf spring sizes listed,and many other good things to know...:laugh:

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How expensive are those manuals?
    Bone yard, that was the one I was thinking of, thanks!

I don't know if these yards would have that manual. I have to build up my guts, and then call them and ask if they let people pick N pull from there yard.
    Looked on ebay today to see if I could find out what the specs were on that big truck with the tank on the back. No luck. Anyone know if it is 1 ton, or...?
    Hopefully soon I will have more money, then I will drop by after calling them (if they allow public) and search around.

14. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

for tools id bring a socket set a hammer and vice grips

15. diesel4me

look here...

Try www.hollanderautoparts.com--or type "hollander" on google--it will lead to to their website...after you see the price,I think you'll agree bringing the guy at the parts shack a coffee is a much better deal..thats what I usually do!:crazy:

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ouch! Thats expensive!!