Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk yard find (PIC) (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jan 24, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Kinda confused. This was one a mid 70's bone-stock K5 without crossover /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Already milled and tapped. Oh well cool for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The other thing that confused me is I though flat tops had tie rods that came up from the bottom. Oh well cool for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Re: Junk yard find (PIC)

Sweet deal Brian!!
    So did you buy that up!?!?!!? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

My stock flat-tops have the TRE's coming in from the top like the pic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats the way the tie rod is from 73-75. The tie rod end was bent down to clear the springs. But, GREAT DEAL on the pre studded flat top!! Thats a find!!

4. MTBLAZER89

So did they come "stock" that way or did somebody do it?

5. bablazer73

I have never seen a Chevy with the passenger side studded. I have heard that some dodge D44's were set up with steering on that side. (I think it was dodge.) But D44 knuckles will exchange from some axels to others. Maybe somebody replaced the knuckle and thats what they found to fit. Either way, your 100.00 ahead on the crossover!!

6. MTBLAZER89

Yeah sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No I didnt buy it YET. I am gonna go out on Mon. and take them off. Think I can use my 10b tie rod with those knuckles??

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You probably should get both knuckles so the tie rod mount on the top.

8. bablazer73

no, It will most likely hit the spring. Use those early tie rods. Unless you are gonna run a z-rate up front. I used my 10 bolt tierods, But My springs have a decent arch to them AND i have a z-rate. I would grab the tie rods, just in case.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

grab both knuckles, I dont know how that tie rod isnt hitting the springs but hey you never know. I know with my crossover using flat tops i hit the springs up front so i had to drill out the tapered ends and go with 3/4"x7/8" rod ends for the tie rod.

10. bablazer73

I know it's hard to see in that photo, But the stock tie rods are bent down so the long rod clears the springs. Thats why I suggest saving them.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have a '75 D44 I used a 10B tie-rod for about a year until the captured TRE was shot. The knuckles are top load and the rod was not a drop style. It does rub certain springs more than others, nothing horrible. I don't believe a rock rod would clear however. I now have shims that moved the springs away from the rod.
    Hope that helps

12. MTBLAZER89

[ QUOTE ]
    no, It will most likely hit the spring. Use those early tie rods. Unless you are gonna run a z-rate up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my plan along with moving the axle 1" forward

13. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Is it lifted? If so you may get away with the flat tie rod. I did on mine and it's close, but it can work. See my reply and pics in This thread

Good luck!

14. MTBLAZER89

Yeah My K5 has 4" Superlift's up front, and it's getting a 0-rate along with this x-over swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. MTBLAZER89

I went out today to pull the knuckles and the guy behind the counter said $5 a piece for GM knuckles /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I didn't get it all the way off cause I got there to late and they closed, but I am gonna go back early tomorrow and get them both and the tie-rod, and maybe some other stuff since they are giving it away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I went out today to pull the knuckles and the guy behind the counter said $5 a piece for GM knuckles /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I didn't get it all the way off cause I got there to late and they closed, but I am gonna go back early tomorrow and get them both and the tie-rod, and maybe some other stuff since they are giving it away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a deal Brian!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif $5 is CHEAP!! Snatch up everything you can for those cheap prices!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. MTBLAZER89

Well the guy didn't know what Knuckles were when he said $5 so I had to pay $15 a piece Already milled and tapped with studs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also saw about 25 more sets while I was there

18. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

you saw like 25 sets of milled and tapped pass side knuckels??? hmmm would you be interedsted in buyin a couple and hipping them??9 for a price of course?

19. MTBLAZER89

No the other sets weren't milled and tapped /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just flat tops lot of them are Jeep knuckles.