Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk yard ident... 1976 truck axles??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Jan 28, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I was browsin through the junk yard today and i found a 1976 chevy truck, reg cab, but with no emblems. i think it may have been a "20" but im not sure, just looking at the faded areas were the emblems used to be.
    Anyway, it had 4.10 gear code in the glove box, a 12 bolt rear end, and a 10bolt front end with 6 lug axles...

now, im a beginner at this k5 stuff, could i get some details from your wiser guys?

Does it sound like a 3/4 ton?
    Whats up front? dana 44? stock 10 bolt? is sound like anydifferent then a 89k5s (besides the 30 vs 28 spline?)

Will these axles work on my 89 k5? Im refering to width, bolting on to the springs, shock mounts etc?? Will some of my 89k5s brake stuff fit on to this front axle?

Thank from the newb

p.s. im still trying to find info in searches, but if you care to add, are there any other cars i sure look for in the junk yard? i noticed some older dodge trucks had beefy lookin pass side drop front axles? any specifics axles that will drop in to my blazer?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

deffently not 3/4 ton axles if u are right on the i.d., & 76 should have a 44 frt

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

half ton, the 12 bolt rear gives it away as well as the 6 lug wheels. and it didn't have a 10 bolt in front unless it was swapped there, 76 only can with a d44 front.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

those axles will work in your blazer though, so will the dodge ones, the frt will bolt in w/ some pulling on the springs the rear will go ,but u will need to move the perches just be sure if u use dodge not to get an axle w/ the axle shaft disconnecet.

5. camarossguy2

Hey, im doing a seach, but since wrere on the subject, are dana 44 and gm 10 bolt parts interchangeable? axles? carriers? etc??

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only thing that interchange is from the knuckles out incuding stub shafts. everything internal is different and won't go in.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You found 1/2 ton axles, D44 front instead of 10 bolt. You can swap these axles right in but there will be virtually no strength gained. D44 and 10 bolt fronts are basically identical strength wise. A 12 bolt is marginally stronger than the 10 bolt that sits under your rig now. The only benefit would be the 4.10 gears. What you might look for is a 14 bolt semi floating rear axle. Some of these came with 4.10 gears and 6 lug. You could then change gears in the front or find another 10 bolt with 4.10 gears (they are fairly common). This would really increase the strength in the rear. If you want a much stronger drivetrain go with the 14 bolt full floating rear axle and D60 front axle. These only come in 8 lug but are very strong.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

12 bolt has smaller pinion stem, weaker than a 10 bolt and 12 bolt have pinion nut loosening plague
    a 76 1/2 ton was originally 44 and 12

9. camarossguy2

sooo, based on whay you guys are saying, my 10 bolt(with an factory lim slip) and my stock 10 bolt, is better then a 12bolt and no better then a dana 44??

I guess i wont be getting in.

Now, at the yard there were plent of 3/4 and full ton chevy 2wds...but most had no glove box codes.

How can i tell what kinda rear end they have(SF FF??) obviously i can tell if its a 14 bolt or not, but im not sure the difference between SF anf FF. also what gears do they normally come with? did 2wd ever have lim slips or lockers factory?

is a 14b bolt it? Im thinking maybe the DS or at least u jont might have to be changed...thanks guys

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The only way to know for sure what gears an axle has is to pull the cover and count the teeth on the ring and pinion gears. Divide the two to get the ratio. The FF has outer bolts securing the axle to the BIG hub, its very obvious. The SF has a C clip securing the axle inside the carrier inside the differential. If you break a SF axle shaft the shaft will come out of the housing and you will have to replace the shaft before you can drive. Yes both 14b's bolt right in, yes the driveshaft will often need shortened but they do make conversion u jts for the swap. If you go with a 14FF get an open diff (NO limited slip) and then you can use a Detroit Locker with the existing open carrier. They cost around $400 and are the best on the market.

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes G80 was available on all axles, but sometimes only for certain ratios, etc.
    76 should be good old eaton clutch type posi and not gov lok :D