Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Junk Yard wars!!!! K5 wins!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If anyone caught Junkyard wars on TLC.. the american team won, they basically took a k5 and stripped it down, no body panels, just a cab, and they were able to run across the salt flats or sometihng, Rock crawl, AND go across water!!!!

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

yea....junkyard wars rocks!!!

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It was a shortbed stepside pickup, not a K5. Very cool none the less.

James

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

tRusty and I had a discussion about that when it was on a few months ago. Why didn't they just put the water-pump intake hose in the lake? Their motor was over-heating because they took the fan off to avoid chewing up the radiator when it dug into the lake. These guys were suppoedly rocket-scientists?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Doh, heh. I cought it midstream, thought it was a k5 with the cap removed. My bad. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

YEah, That is interesting aboutt he radiator part. Actually, I woulda never thought of the cool by running water pump through lake either. Maybe they covered it, but why not just relocate the radiator all together? Parts avalibility? *shrug*

6. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I believe the producers had something to do with it. They probably realized the Brits and Russians built non-compatible machines. -(not to offend anyone). USA shut down to save them more emberrasement.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Junk yard wars is great. but i think they over-engineer their projects to make the show better.
    There was one a while back where they built hill climbers.
    The team that won took a pickup, stripped it, and built tank tracks for it.(which later fell off)........ Took a lot of work.
    I would of just stripped the truck and put lincoln lockers in the diffs. Then sat back and drank beer with that little blonde the rest of the show /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Damn, I missed that!

9. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

WAY TOO COOL! I saw it. Watched it with my two little girls. We were cheering and hollering. That Chevy truck ROCKS! Can you believe that Russion POS! I was pretty nervous on the Water challenge, but the Chevy got cranked and pulled across the finish line ahead of the Brits.

JUNK YARD WARS IS THE GREATEST! We were really rooting for the Americans and did you see the way the Chevy handled the rock climb? GREAT! Glad to see other K5ers saw it.

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I wonder if they coulda just sucked in lake water instead of circulating antifreeze? Hmmm...

11. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I think they should have got some wheels and welded paddles on to them for the water run. I don't know how they would get to and out of the water though.

12. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Yep,I watched it too...Junkward Wars rules !! It was hilarious when the Americans fired that motor up and the Brits said just cuz it's loud dont make it fast...hehe..Then we spanked em..

13. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

V8 Power! Stayed up late just to watch. Very cool show

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly what I thought. Yes, they could have put the lower hose in the lake. If it wouldn't reach, they could have stolen the raw water pump from a boat that would pump water up.

Boat engines have been using open cooling systems, sucking water from the water that they're in as long as I've been working on them.

Idiots. If only me and my hillbilly friends could get on a show like that.

15. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Or the Russians, "That's the americans for ya"
    WE ROCK ! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How did they get that thing to steer anyways?
    Yeah the blond is ok but why the hell cant they get a decent guy to host the show? You either get that Brit dude or those two dorky American guy's WTF. All they need to do is get a normal half way mechanical guy and the show would be way better. And what is up with those stupid helmuts? They really need to go along with the jumpsuits. Those people look like they are about to have a friggin heat stroke in those get-ups. CK5 needs to assemble a team. I for one would elect Steven Watson to head it up.

17. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

the US teams pro was the builder and owner of the All Country Gear Jeep YJ rock crawler(yellow body, blue frame) that wins almost everything. Anyway, all we do is beat the brits.....maybe a little grunge match sinse the Revolutionary War????

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmmm...........A CK5 Team
    Check this out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ultimatemachinecombat.com/>Ultimate Machine Combat</a>
    I think we missed this year but next year maby???????

19. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    does anybody find it weird that a fully functional Chevy with those tires on it and a working motor, tranny, tcase, axels, and what appeared to be a solid body was doing in a junkyard in the first place? THAT WASN'T JUNK!!! it was a good truck!

20. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I stumbled accross a site from a group that was on junkyard wars, and they readily admit that yes, they do seed the yard with enough goodies that people will be able to make something in the 10 hour time limit. anything that could be potentialy dangerous, or requires certification, is certified by the proper agencies, and the producer has all the certificates on hand as proof.

as soon as they started to overheat, I began to wonder why the hell didn't they just put the hose into the lake... I'm not a rocket scientist, or lockheed-martin Skunkworks employee, but everyone knows BOTTOM HOSE GOES IN LAKE, TOP HOSE SHOOTS FOUNTAIN OF HOT WATER AND LOOKS COOL/GETS DUMPED INTO THE EXHAUST SYSTEM.... or sompin like that....

I have a lot of these recorded, and I had a bunch of the older ones recorded, but one of my friends ran off with the tapes, and move to florida... I'll have to get them back from him sometime soon hopefully...

-Rich